Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That might be, but I still want to know why.

Why is Ontario Line and Yonge extension expected to have like 700k passengers per day but a straightened Richmond Hill line at the same frequencies with interchanges at Highway 7, Sheppard, Eglinton, Bloor, and Yonge (downtown) and connectivity only gets 1/30th of that?

What's the actual piece of magic that's missing; and why is it either impossible or prohibitively expensive to build that magic? The business case to answer these questions is about $400k.

Because its a peak only line. The only people that use it are the people who work in downtown Toronto in the financial district. Everyone else typically travel to Toronto outside of peak hours, or to locations outside of Downtown.

IMO, turning the Richmond Hill GO line into Relief Line is (was?) a legitimate option. Straightening the Leaside section would be one of the prerequisites. But the main requirenent is enabling a much more frequent service, and that likely means a new dedicated tunnel through downtown, not sharing the Union corridor with other services.

The final result would be better described as "Relief Line that happens to use parts of the former RH GO corridor, and happens to have one branch going to Langstaff".

Not a bad option at all, I just don't think it can be described as "improved RH GO line", given that the lion's share of riders will travel between downtown and points south of Lawrence.

IMO, turning the Richmond Hill GO line into Relief Line is (was?) a legitimate option. Straightening the Leaside section would be one of the prerequisites. But the main requirenent is enabling a much more frequent service, and that likely means a new dedicated tunnel through downtown, not sharing the Union corridor with other services.

The final result would be better described as "Relief Line that happens to use parts of the former RH GO corridor, and happens to have one branch going to Langstaff".

Not a bad option at all, I just don't think it can be described as "improved RH GO line", given that the lion's share of riders will travel between downtown and points south of Lawrence.
Also, the line north of John St is own by CN with regular freight trains.

Where is the 600,000 daily riders figure coming from?

A rough addition of what I remembered (thank-you for providing actual DRL numbers) for Yonge North expected ridership + Ontario Line ridership in 2050ish.

A RL+RH GO plan essentially is/was a RLNorth extension up to Lawrence, and then uses the existing tracks north from there. The entire route will have to be standard gauge.

Last edited:
A RL+RH GO plan essentially is/was a RLNorth extension up to Lawrence, and then uses the existing tracks north from there. The entire route will have to be standard gauge.
I wonder if the route to swing toward the east past Steeles since CN owned the track north and anything past Steeles will need to use new right-of-way.

Why are you always hung up on RH GO ridership? And what's the metric to claim it barely justifies its own existence? In terms of ridership per km (a solid metric), compounded with number of trains/level of service, it would actually be one of the most successful GO lines. And Metrolinx modeled the line with beefed up service and it presented extremely well.

its like someone saying "I dont think I should buy a new car because my current old beater only goes 40 km/h and thats too slow and clearly the new car would only go that fast too"

what?

Even if the Subway is extended, I really do think a "straightening" and "RER-ification" of the Richmond Hill line is a missed opportunity.

It would provide an express service option to an all-stop subway, including people on the Sheppard Line, and Eglinton LRT if a station is built there, and could help ease demand off Line 1.

Not entirely sure why there is a fascination of expanding the subway to York Region. Richmond Hill has direct Go access into the heart of Toronto, so why would anyone sit in a subway and commute longer down a subway line? I know not everyone is going downtown, but you have to imagine the numbers travelling uptown are not going to be justifying a subway. The subway north of Pioneer Village is hardly used. At all times of the day you will see quarter full trains, short turns, because the demand is not there. Now you will cannibalize part of the ridership because they will transfer at Richmond Hill go, making both sides empty lol!! 6 stops also makes no sense. You can easily do without Royal Orchard/Cummer stops.

Not entirely sure why there is a fascination of expanding the subway to York Region. Richmond Hill has direct Go access into the heart of Toronto, so why would anyone sit in a subway and commute longer down a subway line? I know not everyone is going downtown, but you have to imagine the numbers travelling uptown are not going to be justifying a subway. The subway north of Pioneer Village is hardly used. At all times of the day you will see quarter full trains, short turns, because the demand is not there. Now you will cannibalize part of the ridership because they will transfer at Richmond Hill go, making both sides empty lol!! 6 stops also makes no sense. You can easily do without Royal Orchard/Cummer stops.

The transit demand along the Yonge corridor north of Finch is very substantial. Many of the new subway riders will travel between Richmond Hill and North York; those trips can't be served by the GO line that bypasses all destinations in North York.

The Vaughan subway is a different animal; the demand north of Steels is very low and will remain low for long time. The subway could reasonably end at Steeles / Pioneer Village, with cheaper options to travel further north.

The Yonge extension, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. But only if the downstream capacity is addressed.

Even if the Subway is extended, I really do think a "straightening" and "RER-ification" of the Richmond Hill line is a missed opportunity.

It would provide an express service option to an all-stop subway, including people on the Sheppard Line, and Eglinton LRT if a station is built there, and could help ease demand off Line 1.

Fair enough; that would be useful.

We just need to distinguish between two approaches. One is to build two subway lines: RL and Yonge North, and on top of that, make a modest investment into the existing RH line to make it faster and more useful.

Another approach (looks off the table by now, but used to be viable in principle) is to turn the Richmond Hill line into the Relief Line. That would require a massive investmnent and substantial re-routing, but potentially could pay off.

I wonder if the route to swing toward the east past Steeles since CN owned the track north and anything past Steeles will need to use new right-of-way.

That depends on the type of trains used for the would-be RH Relief Line. Only a fraction of all RH Relief trains would need to travel north of Steeles. While the frequency between the downtown and Eglinton would be in the 3-5 min range, trains to Langstaff would only run once in 15-20 min. If those trains were standard gauge / mainline compatible, then they could continue to share the northern section of the route with CN freight.

If the RH Relief Line was to use trains not designed for mainline, then indeed a new route from the diamond to Langstaff would be needed. Adds to the cost somewhat, but not a blocker.

That depends on the type of trains used for the would-be RH Relief Line. Only a fraction of all RH Relief trains would need to travel north of Steeles. While the frequency between the downtown and Eglinton would be in the 3-5 min range, trains to Langstaff would only run once in 15-20 min. If those trains were standard gauge / mainline compatible, then they could continue to share the northern section of the route with CN freight.

If the RH Relief Line was to use trains not designed for mainline, then indeed a new route from the diamond to Langstaff would be needed. Adds to the cost somewhat, but not a blocker.
Trains every 15-20 mins + detour to the east will not persuade people to not take the Yonge line.

Talks about extending the Yonge Line north to RH seems to be circular... First need DRL subway. Then, why not make GO RER. Then No, the subway extension is needed NOW... then, We need DRL subway first, otherwise it gets crowded at Yonge - Bloor station. And then someone thinks that a Heavy rail GO line going to RH is enough to relieve it.....

This actually points to a much bigger problem and solution.... More rail is needed now. Not just one or the other - All of it.

So, now what?

Talks about extending the Yonge Line north to RH seems to be circular... First need DRL subway. Then, why not make GO RER. Then No, the subway extension is needed NOW... then, We need DRL subway first, otherwise it gets crowded at Yonge - Bloor station. And then someone thinks that a Heavy rail GO line going to RH is enough to relieve it.....

This actually points to a much bigger problem and solution.... More rail is needed now. Not just one or the other - All of it.

So, now what?
Always support whatever the current government proposed in the hope that they will start way into construction before the other party forms the government.

Back