Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Just back from a walk to Union and I entered via the Bay Street moat area. The mezzanine of the east Front moat was open so I walked along it and exited at the top of the escalators from the Bay Concourse (beside the former Leather Shop.). I am not 100% sure it is officially open for civilians yet but nobody stopped me and it is certainly almost open.

As reported above (this on GO site)

Limited access between Front Street and the Union Station Great Hall/VIA Concourse

Starting May 4, there will be limited access between Front Street and the Union Station Great Hall/VIA Concourse due to City of Toronto construction.

The east entrance/exit closest to Bay Street will be closed for about two to three weeks. Please use the entrance/exit closest to York Street. Please give yourself more time when travelling to and from Union Station.

As construction progresses, work will move to the west entrance/exit closest to York Street and the east entrance/exit will reopen.

While not 100% Union Station this may be of interest - I assume this is the first of the four to be upgraded.

Union Station East Bay Street Teamway Access
Starting May 25, the Union Station Bay East Teamway, including all stairs leading to train platforms, will be closed for construction until fall 2020. We’re renovating the Bay East Teamway for you and replacing the ceiling, flooring, windows and doors and improving digital signs.

While not 100% Union Station this may be of interest - I assume this is the first of the four to be upgraded.

Union Station East Bay Street Teamway Access
Starting May 25, the Union Station Bay East Teamway, including all stairs leading to train platforms, will be closed for construction until fall 2020. We’re renovating the Bay East Teamway for you and replacing the ceiling, flooring, windows and doors and improving digital signs.

This is part of the new Bus Terminal so that it will blend nicely from one end to the other, and then make the connection to to the new North Tower of CIBC square. The other Teamways will probably not get these sorts of makeovers...

cibc.PNG

This is part of the new Bus Terminal so that it will blend nicely from one end to the other, and then make the connection to to the new North Tower of CIBC square. The other Teamways will probably not get these sorts of makeovers...

View attachment 249393
This is great! that teamway has been too dingy for too long. Looking forward to this fresh feel, and its consistency with the design language in the rest of the "new" Union.

Just back from Union, they have just about finished putting the granite tiles on the York Street Moat and have started to put them in the Bay St Moat.

Lots of 'glass guys" adding the 'caulking' to the moat covers and finishing off the metal flashing.

Work ('tidying up") going on in the west Front Moat to finish it off (?), and also in east Front Moat to finish the east stairs and exit - almost (?) done.

The work on the main floor of east Head House building (above Bay Concourse (at east end of Great Hall) continues and it looks possible they will open it as yet another pedestrian route inside Union.

Not much happening on platform 3 of Union where they have been working for about a year on fixing up the bridge over Bay Street but one can now see it better, inside. Not quite sure what the hold-up is and exterior is still 'wrapped'.

^ Any update on when the lights in the Great Hall will be replaced where they'd be going from the yellow colour to white (LEDs)?
Last time I asked, about 6 months ago, I was told by the heritage architect that they WILL be replaced but probably not until the rest of the work in the Great Hall is finished (i.e. the floor). So, "sometime".

And the floor in the Great Hall? When will the granite be replaced? Seems like they stated on the east side months/years ago and then stopped.

Last edited:
And the floor in the Great Hall? When will the granite be replaced? Seems like they stated on the east side moths/years ago and then stopped.

Slight correction - marble, not granite. But it's really odd to have just the corner done and then leave the rest of the floor untouched for years.

AoD

Slight correction - marble, not granite. But it's really odd to have just the corner done and then leave the rest of the floor untouched for years.

AoD
It is POSSIBLY because they are worried that it may be damaged as other work goes on or that they may find a need to access a conduit. BUT, I agree it's odd they did parts of it (lots at west end and in front of VIA booths) and then stopped. Maybe it's the same guys who are doing the moat granite and the replacement marble walls near the new escalators to Bay Concourse??

^ Any update on when the lights in the Great Hall will be replaced where they'd be going from the yellow colour to white (LEDs)?

This will make the biggest difference. Yellow light makes everything look dull. A well lit Great Hall with a whiter light temperature will lift the mood of the entire place. It's amazing what light can do. On that same topic, the harsh lighting completely ruins the VIA concourse below. Hopefully someone in charge notices it and has it changed. The contrast from the Great Hall to the VIA Concourse will really stand out.

Back