News   Apr 24, 2024
 560     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 785     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 532     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Right hand, meet left hand

To be fair, Bayview isn't a good transfer location even if it was sized appropriately to handle the projected demand that dumping Gatineau passengers would create. It would just be creating a Bloor-Yonge type of scenario. Bringing the Gatineau system directly into Downtown Ottawa is the right option. The question is what is the best configuration.

For all the moaning about duplication in an east/west alignment I really do see the attractiveness of laying the groundwork for a second crossing at the Alexandra Bridge. Between a Bank tunnel and a double crossing I'd lean pretty strongly to the double crossing.

Right hand, meet left hand
This is a bad take.

Even without getting into the technicalities, do you think if it was possible to just expand Bayview Station itself they'd even bother proposing another 1km tunnel through the downtown core? Expanding the station sounds like it'd be a lot simpler not to mention cheaper as well.

The issue with Bayview isn't the station itself, and frankly even if this was studied years ago I'm pretty sure they would have come to the same conclusions. It was addressed in the STO's presentation meeting itself that the real issue is the capacity of the line between Bayview and the core. City staff emphasized needing to purchase 12 more trains to handle the increased passenger loads just for that corridor, but don't forget that this also reduces the ultimate lifespan of the Confederation Line in the long term as well. On top of that, with Bayview being so far out from the core, it's ineffective for Gatineau residents headed for downtown Gatineau (which the LRT would bypass if crossing at Bayview), and ineffective for Gatineau residents headed for downtown Ottawa, and vice versa.

Everyone's acting like this is a huge revelation, which it is, but then drawing all of the wrong conclusions from it with a distinct skew against the City of Ottawa for "some reason". Whether it's assuming that the "brand new Bayview Station" is too small, or assuming that anyone had an actual plan and completed study when the city first bought the bridge and then acting like this is a betrayal of that purchase, it's a bit frustrating that no one's really paying attention to how we got here and why we're in the position that we are now. This is the first formal study into using the Prince of Wales bridge and it concluded it wasn't a good idea. That's that. If this was done years earlier, the Confederation Line would be no better at handling those increased passenger loads, and at the end of the day the city has a policy on buying abandoned rail infrastructure so the bridge likely would have been bought anyway and it still has potential as a secondary rail link, or if nothing else as a pedestrian crossing.

Everyone's real fast to get on the "LRT bad" bandwagon these days, and I don't think there's any better example than the coverage and public reaction to this story to show just how uninformed the general public is on what's happening with these projects and also the role the media has had in that. I've found Jon Willing to be one of the better reporters covering these projects, but this analysis was just wrong.

To be fair, Bayview isn't a good transfer location even if it was sized appropriately to handle the projected demand that dumping Gatineau passengers would create. It would just be creating a Bloor-Yonge type of scenario. Bringing the Gatineau system directly into Downtown Ottawa is the right option. The question is what is the best configuration.

Why not both?

A 1 stop extension of the Trillium Line might work, but I don't know if anything beyond that is really warranted. The primary connection (both in terms of importance and phasing), should be from PDP to Downtown Ottawa.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Use Prince of Wales to bring Trillium north to a connection with RapiBus and the LRT. For the moment it brings the systems together in a cost effective way while preserving the infrastructure. It does eventually opens the door to a rail conversion of RapidBus, but realistically I see further extensions of Trillium as more of a north shore service to Montreal than local transit. It's also exactly the kind of arrangement that seems to fit into the concept of a "secondary crossing".

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Use Prince of Wales to bring Trillium north to a connection with RapiBus and the LRT. For the moment just brings the systems together in a cost effective way while preserving the infrastructure. It does eventually opens the door to a rail conversion of RapidBus, but realistically I see further extensions of Trillium as more of a north shore service to Montreal than local transit. It's also exactly the kind of arrangement that seems to fit into the concept of a "secondary crossing".
I'd like to see the RapiBus line replaced with a trillium extension through Gatineau.

The RapiBus actually is within an existing rail line.

A 1 stop extension of the Trillium Line might work, but I don't know if anything beyond that is really warranted. The primary connection (both in terms of importance and phasing), should be from PDP to Downtown Ottawa.

The 1 stop extension is exactly what I'm thinking of. Allows for both LRT and BRT connections at Tache. That should be separate from STO's plan to connect in to downtown Ottawa.

I'd like to see the RapiBus line replaced with a trillium extension through Gatineau.

The RapiBus actually is within an existing rail line.

If the RapiBus is to be converted to anything, I would think it would be as another branch of the proposed LRT system. Both branches run from Downtown Ottawa to Taché, and then split with one going to Aylmer and the other to Gatineau (former city).

It wouldn't need to be a Light Metro like Ottawa built, so using the existing stations and roadbed would be feasible. Probably could be converted within a couple of years if they did a total shutdown. That would only be after the line to Aylmer is finished though.

The Rapibus is 7 years old and cost over a quarter billion dollars. Nobody is ripping it up to replace with rail. Nice as it would be be.

The Rapibus is 7 years old and cost over a quarter billion dollars. Nobody is ripping it up to replace with rail. Nice as it would be be.

Asphalt surfaces have a typical service life of 8 to 12 years, depending on traffic. Frequent heavy buses will create runts (depressions) more quickly.

The Gatineau LRT project is probably 8-10 years away from revenue service. So by the time STO would get around to replacing Rapibus with rail, it would probably be about 20 years old. The roadbed would probably be due for a reconstruction at that point anyway, and the station buildings would start showing their age and could probably stand for a minor refurb.

For comparison, the first section of the Transitway opened in 1983. By 2003, stations like Lincoln Fields and Hurdman were definitely showing wear and tear. In fact, less than a decade later Baseline station would be completely rebuilt.

Sunk costs fallacy

Perhaps. But taxpayers are not immune to it. And that's why conversion of the Rapibus Corridor is not being discussed.

The Gatineau LRT project is probably 8-10 years away from revenue service. So by the time STO would get around to replacing Rapibus with rail, it would probably be about 20 years old. The roadbed would probably be due for a reconstruction at that point anyway, and the station buildings would start showing their age an

Still cheaper to refurb though. And more to the point a sales pitch where several hundred million will be spent on retrofitting rail, not building service to a new community, is going to be a tough sell.

There's also all the issues in that corridor of the existing freight rail and how any service would be built with that in mind.

I'd love to see a unified transit authority extending the Trillium Line right to Labrosse. But I don't see the funding for it happening. Not after spending several billion on a new bridge and LRT for a population of 300k.

Back