News   Apr 26, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

In the inconsistent responses from Metrolinx, the lastest are as follow:

May 15, 2020 - 12:34 "Traffic Signal Priority and optimized traffic signal timings have been reviewed and approved by the City already in the effort to maximize the FWLRT operations along the entire corridor involving all 24 intersections."

May 15, 2020 - 12:47 "The Finch West LRT will not have signal priority."
In other words, it'll just be like St Clair where the signals are supposedly timed for a green wave and reduced amount of waiting on a red signal.

Then of course the LRVs are stuck with operating at 50 km/h maximum on Finch or Eglinton so they aren't going anywhere fast. If anyone is dreaming of the suburban C-Train speed, think again.

It's 2020. Can we forget about busses. I can't believe the same people who think it's subways subways subways think busses are better than LRT. Just because you can't afford a Ferrari doesn't mean you need to drive a fiat. Nothing wrong with something in the middle like a Lexus.
Sure, let's just ignore all the areas where BRT outperforms LRT, and examples of world-class transit systems like Brisbane's busways, in favour of a glorified streetcar network of LRT's that Finch West and the surface section of Eglinton will be without signal priority. :rolleyes:

Buses have a reputation problem because they are the workhorse of many transit systems including our own. A proper BRT system should be considered as rapid transit, just like our subway system, it is not a bus route even though it shares the same type of vehicle as a bus route.

A good way to think of it would be how our streetcars and LRT systems are both using Bombardier's Flexity Freedom line of vehicles.

Or to attract significant developer attention. Bus routes come and go, tracks are forever.
BRT is not a bus route though. It is a piece of physical infrastructure, just like an LRT track. Build a physical dedicated bus median and the notion of permanence is achieved.

Developer attention is attained through reducing commuter time, thus making more areas of the city attractive for development. If we implemented BRT on all our main arterial roads, we would greatly expand the area that can commute to downtown within 45 minutes.

It's been studied, the level of investment attained by BRT and LRT is comparable.

"In fact, as calculated in 2018, the HealthLine delivered more than $9.5 billion in economic development along the Euclid Corridor -- a staggering $190 gained for every dollar spent on creating and launching the new service. The HealthLine" (source)

This is in Cleveland, Ohio, which did not even implement a proper BRT system (despite what the local transit authority is trying to market in the link), but rather a BRT-Lite system (which would probably be sufficient for our north-south arterial roads like Victoria Park, Islington, etc.).

Under the current configuration, the Finch West LRT has less signal priority than Cleveland's BRT-Lite system (not even a proper BRT).

Last edited:
Or to attract significant developer attention. Bus routes come and go, tracks are forever.

I wish that were true - tracks certainly exude a sense of permanence, but look at how many cities in Canada and the US destroyed their streetcar networks.

I wish that were true - tracks certainly exude a sense of permanence, but look at how many cities in Canada and the US destroyed their streetcar networks.

I was going to say that. Most of the top 100 cites in Canada by population had something. All are gone, except for 2. Even then, those 2 are a shadow of what they used to have.

I was going to say that. Most of the top 100 cites in Canada by population had something. All are gone, except for 2. Even then, those 2 are a shadow of what they used to have.
What other city in Canada still has a streetcar network besides Toronto? I can't really think of any other city.

What other city in Canada still has a streetcar network besides Toronto? I can't really think of any other city.
Not a network but the High-Level Streetcar is still around in Edmonton though as a heritage streetcar.

At this point, consdering it takes like 20-50 years just to build one line, they should just really make a BRT instead and call it a day. Make it like the viva rapidways and release it to the public

Is there a list anywhere of all the Canadian cities and towns that used to have streetcars?

Back