News   Apr 19, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 818     3 

COVID-19 Measures (updated list at top of thread)

I am puzzled by the TTC and/or the city trying to come up with a safe way to use transit when things start reopening. There isn't any. I used to take the subway from King to Bloor at around 3:30 every weekday and it was packed every day. Even at 25% of ridership, it will be impossible to keep a safe distance. I'll work from home, and if I really have to go the office, I'll walk.

I am puzzled by the TTC and/or the city trying to come up with a safe way to use transit when things start reopening. There isn't any. I used to take the subway from King to Bloor at around 3:30 every weekday and it was packed every day. Even at 25% of ridership, it will be impossible to keep a safe distance. I'll work from home, and if I really have to go the office, I'll walk.

I take the TTC to and from work daily and can attest to the fact that even now it is sometimes hard to find 2 meters of space between people. In the late evening when there are fewer buses there is less than 2 metres between people.

All things considered it will be hard if not impossible to use transit safely BUT eventually someone will have to start taking risks otherwise we may as well fold the economy.

IMO there should be a heavier push towards cycling in the inner city, so that transit has more capacity for those living beyond a reasonable cycling range (or who are not able to cycle).

Until there's avaccine or treatment, people will not be taking the TTC. Seriously, there is no way in hell the TTC will be able to enforce social distancing. The buses/trains are packed like sardines but yet there will be a way to space people out? Give mea break. Think a lot of WFH will be happening for a while.

Until there's avaccine or treatment, people will not be taking the TTC. Seriously, there is no way in hell the TTC will be able to enforce social distancing. The buses/trains are packed like sardines but yet there will be a way to space people out? Give mea break. Think a lot of WFH will be happening for a while.
What are you talking about many people have been using the TTC since everything but essential business's closed.

March 23, 2020

TTC changes amid COVID-19 crisis

Effective today, and being implemented over the next 24 hours, the TTC is kindly asking its bus customers to board and exit from the rear doors only, unless the accessible ramp needs to be deployed, as fare boxes will not be accessible. This change, made in consultation with ATU Local 113, allows for greater social distancing while minimizing potential contact with operators. TTC operators have also been instructed to keep their protective barriers closed at all times.

Last week, operators stopped handing out paper transfers to bus customers paying by cash, tickets or tokens. The TTC will no longer be accepting payment by cash, tickets or tokens on TTC buses (excluding Wheel-Trans) starting on March 24. Customers are asked to pay using PRESTO where available.

"This move is being made to prioritize the health and safety of our employees and customers," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "We continue to focus on physical distancing, social equity and ensuring we match capacity to demand."

The TTC continues to take direction and follow the sound advice from Toronto Public Health regarding what precautions and controls should be implemented to protect the well-being of our customers and employees.

With more than 90 per cent of riders now using PRESTO, customers are still required to tap their PRESTO card and PRESTO ticket when boarding a vehicle or entering a station.

The TTC is closely monitoring ridership and service trends daily across all modes, and reviewing staffing and resources in order to effectively match service delivery with availability.

Over the past week, daily PRESTO taps indicated ridership declined by more than 70 per cent as compared to a typical early March weekday. While the TTC continues to move a substantial number of people across the system each day, customer travel patterns are changing and ridership is declining.

As a result, the following service changes are affected:
- All 900-series Express routes are reallocated as needed, except for 900 Airport Express, 903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express and 927 Highway 27 Express.
- All 140-series Downtown Express routes are reallocated as where needed.
- 176 Mimico GO and 508 Lake Shore service is reallocated as needed.

Regular bus services will continue to run along Express routes that are suspended, with the majority of service operating every 10 minutes or better. All neighbourhoods continue to be served and additional buses will be operated where and when required.

The service changes will be reflected on public facing applications (e.g. NextBus, Triplinx, etc.) in the week ahead. Please expect some prediction irregularity to occur while updates are being implemented.

The deadline for PRESTO card customers to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass for April, has been extended until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 27. Customers wishing to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass, should visit prestocard.ca and log into their My PRESTO Account. Anyone who wants to re-sign up for Autorenew or a 12 Month Pass can do so during the pass sales window, which is available from the last 12 days of the month until eight days after the next month.

For the complete list of 900 Express and 140 Downtown Express routes please visit ttc.ca.

For more information on TTC Routes, Schedules and Fares, please call 416-393-INFO (4636) or TTY Line at 416-481-2523.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternative routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts or visit https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ccb7da19df5be4a89c65a08d7cf775b42%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637205983839299034&sdata=UnDOIQedpvp3y9r4ZrRzaOAahEK416lRGlWUinfvv0Y%3D&reserved=0
Unless they have someone in every subway car, bus and streetcar that will tekkv
TTC union calls for mandatory face coverings for all transit riders

LAST UPDATED MAY 8, 2020 AT 4:56 PM EDT

The union which represents TTC employees says it wants mandatory face coverings for all users of the system starting next week.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 boss Carlos Santos says with service cutbacks scheduled to take effect Sunday night and more businesses reopening, they are concerned about overcrowding on several TTC routes which could increase the spread of COVID-19.

“The math is straightforward – as more businesses re-open, more people will be taking public transit with less TTC vehicles on the road,” said Santos. “The City of Toronto must protect workers and the public by making face coverings mandatory on the TTC.”

Unless they are going to have someone in every subway car, bus or streetcar checking to see that everyone has a mask on I don't see it happening. Personally I like that it's a choice to wear one or not when you are out of the house and I think that many of the business that are now asking customers to wear them are just doing it to make people feel safer.

Even then people will still be taking the TTC. Not everyone is going to be able to stay at home until everyone is vacitaned if that's even possible.

Thry wont have a choice. The government can’t mandate everyone go back to work and practice social distancing when transit can’t accomidate it. Thry will allow those who can work from home to work from home until things get sorted. Those who can’t will go into work. The transit system is bursting at the seams....how will it work now with less people allowed on each train or bus?

Thry wont have a choice. The government can’t mandate everyone go back to work and practice social distancing when transit can’t accomidate it. Thry will allow those who can work from home to work from home until things get sorted. Those who can’t will go into work. The transit system is bursting at the seams....how will it work now with less people allowed on each train or bus?
You're not really making any sense you're first paragraph is about how not everyone is going to go back to work right away which I can definitely understand.
However your second part makes no sense the system is not bursting at the seams. It has been working for the most part just fine except for a few routes that have remained busy just because of some areas of the city not having as many alternatives to service as others.

You're not really making any sense you're first paragraph is about how not everyone is going to go back to work right away which I can definitely understand.
However your second part makes no sense the system is not bursting at the seams. It has been working for the most part just fine except for a few routes that have remained busy just because of some areas of the city not having as many alternatives to service as others.

Dude, think. Why would I say the system is bursting at the seems during a pandemic when most are either working from home, furloughed or out of work? TTC was bursting at the seems prior to the lockdown, so how will it function after it while keeping social distancing?.

It's like me reading your first sentence and saying "But I'm not 'first paragraph, I'm TKE'" ... If I tell you what I meant, why not accept it?

Who’s taking transit until this pandemic is over? If I can’t drive, cycle or walk somewhere, I’m not going.

This is how I feel too. I've avoided the TTC entirely since early March and don't plan to return anytime soon.

This pandemic has laid completely bare how supremely behind we are in transit in this city. We were caught with our pants down and there's no possible way to fix this. The Downtown Relief Line is needed right now. Transit City is needed right now.

We'd have to have some sort of miraculous war time building exercise that shuts everything down to work night and day to build LRTs across the city. Maybe we expand the King Street Pilot concept to Queen, Dundas and College, banning cars in most of downtown Toronto. But even then, we wouldn't have the vehicles.

Absent a miraculous transit expansion, over the next year and a half, we simply cannot have the pre-pandemic commuting public taking transit. The province will have to mandate that all of those who can work from home, continue doing so until there's a vaccine.

This pandemic has laid completely bare how supremely behind we are in transit in this city. We were caught with our pants down and there's no possible way to fix this. The Downtown Relief Line is needed right now. Transit City is needed right now.

We'd have to have some sort of miraculous war time building exercise that shuts everything down to work night and day to build LRTs across the city. Maybe we expand the King Street Pilot concept to Queen, Dundas and College, banning cars in most of downtown Toronto. But even then, we wouldn't have the vehicles.

Absent a miraculous transit expansion, over the next year and a half, we simply cannot have the pre-pandemic commuting public taking transit. The province will have to mandate that all of those who can work from home, continue doing so until there's a vaccine.
What? what does one have to do with the other? people will be reluctant to take public transit, regardless if you have 3 subway lines or 10 lines. Public transit is always associated with some degree of crowding.

Back