News   Mar 28, 2024
 965     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I don't think it would cost that much in the grand scheme, but the best way to get the funding would be to roll it into the Ontario Line budget, which would require the need to be recognized.

Best way I could think of to rebuild would be to raise the eastbound lanes of Eglinton at Leslie, with a bridge built over the LRT and the westbound lanes to Leslie, so there would be no vehicles crossing the tracks, allowing for full service to Don Mills.
Or re-grade the entire intersection - eastbound and westbound Eglinton, and Leslie all raised. LRT stop will then be in some sort of a trench.

Is it too late to just have two separate lines? One running on surface between Don Mills and Kennedy and extending the underground portion to Kennedy?

View attachment 241934

Thoughts?

I don't think this is as big of an issue as the article editorializes.
. This all could have been avoided had the line remained 'below-grade' to Don Mills. I find it funny that the same people that advocated to keep the route on the surface will likely be same group people 'crying foul' if these trees are removed or even relocated.

. This all could have been avoided had the line remained 'below-grade' to Don Mills. I find it funny that the same people that advocated to keep the route on the surface will likely be same group people 'crying foul' if these trees are removed or even relocated.

They also caused themselves a great deal of construction disruption, with the launch shaft, portal reducing the road to one lane each way, and the intersection at Leslie being quite blocked up.

Why wasn't the Leslie Station grade separated?

Just me or do none of these look anywhere close to completion?

They're not going to hit the original 2020 date, that's for sure.

Opening 2022 (current target) doesn't seem unreasonable; though I expect Yonge/Eglinton station will still have some work ongoing in 2024.

Transportation planners in this city really love taking the word "rapid" out of "rapid transit."

What a joke. Light rail transit is wasted on this city.

While I think transit planners should push for this to be changed, bureaucratically right now as it stands, its out of their hands.

Signal priority is determined by the department of Traffic Systems Operations in Toronto, and they are a very old school pro-car crowd of people.

What needs to happen is that signal priority needs to be handed off to a third party in the city that decides based upon empirical evidence of whats best for all transit users.

While I think transit planners should push for this to be changed, bureaucratically right now as it stands, its out of their hands.

Signal priority is determined by the department of Traffic Systems Operations in Toronto, and they are a very old school pro-car crowd of people.

What needs to happen is that signal priority needs to be handed off to a third party in the city that decides based upon empirical evidence of whats best for all transit users.
Which means this bunch of people will lose their power, budget and even their jobs...

It's just Toronto being its usual self. It'll never change.

It will only change when the "pre-2000's Toronto" boomers who run this city die.

They are part of a group that understand Toronto from the context of when we used to cheers to the Queen when we drank at bars on the Esplanade. When parking lots filled the city. When Dundas Square was nothing more than a bunch of clothing stores. Not the megacity we are today.

Their Toronto is long but dead but they desperately hold onto these old ways.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This effing city. 15 years &amp; billions of dollars in the making and the Crosstown is only going to have &quot;limited signal priority.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/30wWPkRnEQ">https://t.co/30wWPkRnEQ</a></p>&mdash; John Michael McGrath (@jm_mcgrath) <a href=" ">April 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something we fear the most...glorified streetcar

Bunching in the tunnel at Laird, here we come!!

I have a feeling that Leslie will become grade seperated in the 2030s. Not just because of the intersection itself but also because it would much more reasonable to short-turn vehicles at Don Mills (Science Centre). Also with OL and RLN. It's kind of a necessity.

I never thought a city-changing LRT costing billions of dollars is actually being held up by the cars who we thought that LRT's were supposed to have priority over

Back