News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Good news.

New case growth down to 11.5%

Perhaps, more importantly,

New hospitalizations growth is under 10%

Needs to be said, only 1 data point.

But the new hospitalization rate has been down 4 out of the last 5 days; so hopefully we're beginning to see a solid trend.

On the downside a fairly high number of deaths yesterday, in Ontario, but that was expected as deaths are a lagging indicator.

I know a few but they are the minority.
I've lived in the U.S. on 2 occasions (TX, TN) and not everybody owns a gun, not even close. Not even in those red states
That said, I would never live there again and I won't even consider visiting until the Orange Orangutan is out of office.

Approx. 30% of Americans own guns. Approx. 45% live in gun-owning households.
The scary folk are the people who own many guns - dozens in some cases. They are the, 2A, NRA nutters.

We criticize - deservedly, in many cases - the ignorance of Americans but the hyperbole coming out of Canada is often just as eye-rollable.

As my ex-gf in Houston put it: Y'all think you know all about us because y'all spend 95% of your time watching our Breaking News and y'all went to Disneyland or Vegas. You don't know shit!"

My expectation of frollicking on Galveston Beach in mid-November proved her correct!

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says the country is "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

I agree that posting articles ad nauseam here is a bit unnecessary. However, I do enjoy people's thoughts on the impact of the virus on ongoing projects, for real estate in general after we get back to 'normal', etc. That kind of discussion, in my opinion, absolutely belongs here.
This is a dedicated thread to COVID-19. The UT staff have elected that virus related discussion should not flood every construction thread.

There are other threads for more specific COVID-19 discussions:
Retail Apocalypse thread has been around forever, but obviously has been more active recently as a consequence of this virus. I encourage more discussion in those threads, as I am definitely interested for instance, the impact this will have on the real estate market.

On a personal note, I have been avoiding news media for a long while now (probably since 2016) as that whole industry seems to especially love producing depressing sensationalist content to maximize their viewership. I get my news from other, more curated sources, including here on UrbanToronto. This thread for me is an easy and effective way to keep up to date with the latest in international responses, research breakthroughs, and federal/provincial announcements, as it relates to the virus. I appreciate everyone posting articles in this thread.

I've lived in the U.S. on 2 occasions (TX, TN) and not everybody owns a gun, not even close. Approx. 30% of Americans own guns. Approx. 45% live in gun-owning households.
If I lived in the US, I’d have a gun. Too many bad guys have them, the police are unable to save you. With nearly half of American households having guns, I don’t want to be known as the one house that doesn’t have one. Now, if I wasn’t a middle class White guy, I’d be more reluctant, as the odds of being shot by the police are high.
I have been avoiding news media for a long while now (probably since 2016) as that whole industry seems to especially love producing depressing sensationalist content to maximize their viewership.
I get my American television and online news from CBC and more often BBC. It’s a shame the US doesn’t have a news service that isn’t sensational. Why can’t CNN just tell us what happened without Cooper or Cuomo rolling their eyes and making sarcastic quips?

If I lived in the US, I’d have a gun. Too many bad guys have them, the police are unable to save you. With nearly half of American households having guns, I don’t want to be known as the one house that doesn’t have one. Now, if I wasn’t a middle class White guy, I’d be more reluctant, as the odds of being shot by the police are high.
I get my American television and online news from CBC and more often BBC. It’s a shame the US doesn’t have a news service that isn’t sensational. Why can’t CNN just tell us what happened without Cooper or Cuomo rolling their eyes and making sarcastic quips?
Thank you for proving my gf's point.

Try PBS.

I have friends and family members who live in the US. None of them have guns.

Crime will sore through the roof as people will turn to drugs. Just 2 weeks ago someone tried breaking into my garage, the door was bent and foot prints were in my garden. I hate to think what's going to happen this year with so many people out of work.

I was shocked at some of my American friends who own guns and keep them in their bedside tables. I would never have guessed. And I don’t get that from tv, it’s from extended time living there over a period of years.
But let’s get back on topic.

So some wastemans did a street block party on their street in Toronto

Serious these people are going to force authorities to make our leaders go to the final steps - Quasi Martial law.

can’t get enough covid 19 info everywhere else, that it’s in urban toronto. and has 108 pages. Wow. Can we stop discussing this everywhere. And take a break... stay home that’s all one needs to know

No one is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to read a thread specifically about COVID-19, right? A thread was started specifically to keep most of the conversations in one place.

AoD

This is a dedicated thread to COVID-19. The UT staff have elected that virus related discussion should not flood every construction thread.

There are other threads for more specific COVID-19 discussions:
Retail Apocalypse thread has been around forever, but obviously has been more active recently as a consequence of this virus. I encourage more discussion in those threads, as I am definitely interested for instance, the impact this will have on the real estate market.

On a personal note, I have been avoiding news media for a long while now (probably since 2016) as that whole industry seems to especially love producing depressing sensationalist content to maximize their viewership. I get my news from other, more curated sources, including here on UrbanToronto. This thread for me is an easy and effective way to keep up to date with the latest in international responses, research breakthroughs, and federal/provincial announcements, as it relates to the virus. I appreciate everyone posting articles in this thread.
Thank you so much for promoting the Retail Apocalypse thread. There's no doubt that the virus would hasten the apocalypse and change retailing forever.

Not really a site for computer programmers, but I thought I'd post this here in case someone could both benefit and help.

1586053862148.png

I knew a tiny bit of Cobol 20 years ago...........definitely not the level of knowledge they require!

Back