News   Apr 24, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 408     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 465     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

What a brilliant idea; during a period of high national stress, let's hire some undertrained and inexperienced people to deal with others who have dementia or other potential mental health issues and a general loss of agency in their own lives. Oh, and we'll take away a bunch of the laws protecting those seniors.

Yeah, I don't see that ending badly. :/

It's proving to be extremely difficult for some of the partisans here to give Ford credit where it's due.

Definitely seems that way.

Personally I think they've handled things well. Ford has done a good job, especially when it comes to putting the partisan nonsense aside and doing what needs to be done. Definitely can't compare him to Trump in this situation.

I don't agree at all with lifting the training requirements for long term care employees at all - hopefully that's rescinded.

Definitely seems that way.

Personally I think they've handled things well. Ford has done a good job, especially when it comes to putting the partisan nonsense aside and doing what needs to be done. Definitely can't compare him to Trump in this situation.

I don't agree at all with lifting the training requirements for long term care employees at all - hopefully that's rescinded.

Well, every day seems to be a new day. This government did not anticipate the enormity of this crisis at all. A couple of weeks ago the premier was singing a different tune telling people to enjoy themselves on vacation. Now he is advising people to stay away from rural properties so as not to overburden rural hospitals.

Well, every day seems to be a new day. This government did not anticipate the enormity of this crisis at all. A couple of weeks ago the premier was singing a different tune telling people to enjoy themselves on vacation. Now he is advising people to stay away from rural properties so as not to overburden rural hospitals.

The Haliburton/Kawarthas area is particularly taxed because of the outbreak at the Long Term Care facility. I don't know how many ICU beds actually exist in the small town hospitals and imagine many might be transported to Ptbo, but can't confirm that.

No disagreement there. No government anticipated the enormity of this crisis.

I should've qualified the 'handled things well' with 'relatively'.

No question they've made mistakes. Overall though, I'm glad they got the message and are willing to take the steps necessary to squash this. They need to go further though, no question about that. More businesses need to close, and there needs to be more oversight at places like grocery stores where I still see people hanging out and chatting as though everything is normal.

There are very fair criticisms to be made with their handling of this, but I could say that about virtually every major government in North America.

Meanwhile, in Alberta, Doug Ford's close pal, Jason Kenney...

No warning, no consultation, UCP yanks school funding using COVID-19 pandemic as excuse, costing 20,000 jobs

From link.

Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m., Alberta school trustees learned funding was about to be yanked by the provincial government with no notice or discussion with boards.

Massive layoffs are expected to result — up to 20,000 substitute teachers, educational assistants, non-essential support staff and bus drivers will all face layoffs immediately.

The Kenney Government used school closings resulting from the COVID-19 epidemic as the excuse.

Under the headline “K-12 education funding temporarily adjusted to match cost,” the public announcement from Education Minister Adriana LaGrange says that “with in-school classes cancelled indefinitely, funding for K-12 education is being temporarily adjusted to reflect the cost of at-home learning by students during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

“This funding will be restored when in-person classes resume,” it continues. (When that will happen, of course, is unknown.) The cuts will amount to a 14 per cent reduction to the base instruction grant and 51 per cent to transportation funding, a government spokesman told the CBC.

During a COVID-19 news conference on March 15 at which the school closings were announced, Ms. LaGrange had assured Albertans that “school authorities will receive their full allotment of funding for the 2019-2020 school year.” As recently as yesterday, one source said, Ms. LaGrange indicated no changes or announcements were expected.

Well that’s one way to get Health Minister Tyler Shandro’s execrable behaviour off the news media’s front burner! School boards were totally blindsided.

Reaction was immediate and strong.

“We figure this could be up to 20,000 people, about 10,000 CUPE members and about 10,000 others,” said Rory Gill President of CUPE Alberta.

“It’s a very surprising event,” he told AlbertaPolitics.ca. “It’s incredibly disruptive and incredibly short-sighted on behalf of the government.”

“On a Saturday afternoon, the Kenney Government has just fired thousands of people who look after and educate our kids,” Mr. Gill said in a news release. “The minister has just passed the buck to the federal government and told education workers, ‘good luck out there, there are programs you can access.’

“You can’t just fire thousands of educational assistants and expect them to all run back to the system in the fall,” he added. “This is a recipe for a massive brain drain. … We should be helping people keep their jobs during the crisis, not putting front line workers out on the street.”

Using Twitter, University of Alberta economist Andrew Leach asked: “How does cutting funding to schools and forcing layoffs of staff advance the safety of all Albertans? Which other businesses should advance the safety of Albertans through layoffs and/or cuts in payments to contract suppliers at this time?”

Edmonton Public School Board Trustee Bridget Sterling tweeted to Ms. LaGrange: “This is incredibly cruel. The federal government has directed employers to keep people working whenever possible. Even your government has asked the same. And yet you are putting thousands of workers onto aid programs at a time when they need their government the most.”

“I hope Albertans remember that when they needed their government to be there for them the most, you failed them,” she continued in another tweet. “You instead decided to send thousands more working families into precarity and fear during this time. For shame.”

Michael Janz, another Edmonton Public School Board trustee, agreed, tweeting: “My fear for the future is that this government won’t hire back the people they have laid off, as an attempt to cut investments in education and avoid the headlines of future job losses. You can’t fire those that you don’t hire back.”

Orders to school boards from the deputy minister of education include the following instructions: “Our direction to school authorities is to limit the use of substitute teachers effective March 31 so these individuals can apply to the expanded federal employment insurance program, as well as other federal support programs.”

“School authorities should immediately begin to provide notice to educational assistants with the expectation that their services continue until no later than the end of April,” the memo from Deputy Minister Andre Corbould said. “School authorities should immediately begin providing notice to non-essential support staff … School authorities should immediately begin to provide notice to board employed bus drivers.”

And in the middle of a global pandemic when it’s vital that no one panic, no less.

This cynical use of the deadly and disruptive COVID-19 pandemic as cover for such a destructive announcement with no consultation reinforces the willingness of he United Conservative Party Government of Premier Jason Kenney to use the “Shock Doctrine” to undermine public services.

Ms. LaGrange’s news release continued: “While funding for teachers and most other aspects of the K-12 system is being maintained, funding for transportation and some services not being utilized in an at-home learning environment, such as substitute teachers and educational assistants, is being temporarily reduced while in-person classes remain cancelled.

“Any savings from these adjustments will be re-allocated to support Alberta’s COVID-19 response,” the release added, although as with precipitous actions of this sort, whether settled upon for political or ideological reasons, or both as is likely in this case, the actual savings will be small. The government expects that sum to be $128 million, the CBC reported.

As is customary in such documents nowadays, Ms. LaGrange got a single canned quote: “COVID-19 has changed both how we provide student learning, and the operational needs of the education system. I want to stress that this is a temporary arrangement as schools focus on at-home learning. I have full confidence the system will continue to be equipped to successfully deliver our education continuity plan.”

“Any staff impacted by these funding adjustments will qualify for the federal government’s enhanced employment insurance program and other support programs for Canadian workers,” the release also said, signalling the Kenney Government’s intention to download the costs of this policy on the federal government as it responds to the COVID-19 crisis.

Meanwhile, school authorities must still submit their 2020-21 budgets by the usual date of May 31.

The fact there’s been very little chatter about this as a possibility in government circles suggests it was cooked up in a hurry, although that will probably have to remain speculation given the secretive proclivities of the Kenney Government. If the sudden move was decided on short notice, the most likely reason was to get the Shandro brouhaha off the media agenda before Postmedia’s newspapers were shamed into covering it.

Well, this will give Matt Wolf, the premier’s “issues management” guy, something to scream about. Mr. Wolf has been mysteriously silent on the topic of Mr. Shandro’s performative tantrum a week ago in front of the home of his neighbour, a physician who dared to repost an uncomplimentary social media meme about the health minister.

The Haliburton/Kawarthas area is particularly taxed because of the outbreak at the Long Term Care facility. I don't know how many ICU beds actually exist in the small town hospitals and imagine many might be transported to Ptbo, but can't confirm that.

Peterborough is the regional health centre, although Lindsay (Ross Memorial) is likely closer. There are small 'cottage' hospitals in both Minden and Haliburton. No idea how many ICU beds would be available; I doubt the smaller hospitals would have any.

No disagreement there. No government anticipated the enormity of this crisis.

I should've qualified the 'handled things well' with 'relatively'.

No question they've made mistakes. Overall though, I'm glad they got the message and are willing to take the steps necessary to squash this. They need to go further though, no question about that. More businesses need to close, and there needs to be more oversight at places like grocery stores where I still see people hanging out and chatting as though everything is normal.

There are very fair criticisms to be made with their handling of this, but I could say that about virtually every major government in North America.

I suppose when this is all over, the one thing I will fault the government for -all governments - is the holes in emergency preparedness. Obviously, nobody knew the pathology of this particular virus, but pandemics have many common characteristics that could have been better planned for. Strategic stockpiles of common medical equipment, such as PPE, would be needed regardless of the cause of the outbreak. This doesn't even include the facilities capacity of the health care system which is a 'whole nudder ting'.

Emergency planning conferences occur all the time around the world. I have been to a couple (non-medical), where speakers from around the world recount their lessons learned from their particular encounter with hell. Everybody comes away with all sorts of good information and recommendations, but funding and implementation lives at a higher level. Even if wallets do get opened in the flush of post-disaster, long term funding for storage, maintenance or whatever is required is seldom assured, so often the long-term usefulness of the strategic reserve deteriorates. In some cases as people come and go, they sometimes lose track of where the stuff even is.

The outbreak of war is the wrong time to buy bullets.

Even in terms of policy, as an example, the issue of price-gouging is not unprecedented. This is not a medical issue. Effective emergency planning policy should have anticipated this and a well thought out regulation 'in the pocket' of policy makers. I don't get the sense that this has been the case here; they sound completely reactive. There is an entire division of a ministry dedicated to emergency preparedness. Perhaps after this they will get more love.

Still during the first few years under Doug Ford, he wanted to cut healthcare. Based on Stephen Harper's legacy.

In health policy, Stephen Harper's administration will be known preeminently for the fragmentation of the Canadian health care system.

From link.

During the 2015 election campaign the Conservative party offered no substantive health policy platform, maintaining that health policy was a matter solely for the provinces. The CPC noted, correctly, that under the Harper administration funding continued to increase. But it disingenuously refused to acknowledge that its revision of the funding formula increased the gap between the health care dollars that provinces received and the health expenditures they needed to make. The new formula penalized those provinces with the oldest and sickest populations and rewarded only the wealthiest province with the youngest population. That the original transfer formula negotiated in 1977 took these regional disparities into account was conveniently forgotten. While the previous Liberal administration only weakly upheld the requirements of the Canada Health Act, the Harper administration did not even pretend to monitor whether provinces respected the Act. The increasing health disparities between the provinces, and the incapacity of many if not all provinces to redesign effective and sustainable health care systems, means that, at the end of the Harper era, it is difficult to discuss Canadian health care as a coherent “system”.

Yet decay can also drive change. Under the Harper administration, the provinces were obliged to focus more upon repairing their own houses than on strategizing how to squeeze more cash out of Ottawa, as they had done in the 1980s and 1990s. It made the provinces think more about collaboration in the absence of any “first among equals” federal presence. But the devolution of national health policy to the provinces under Harper was limited in what it could achieve. Bending the cost curve in many provinces was achieved at the expense of sustainability,because provinces tended to contain costs by cannibalizing infrastructure, cutting maintenance budgets, and eliminating community-based programs.

So how do we move beyond Harper’s legacy?

The first step is conceptual. We have to understand that the health care system is no longer just a collection of doctors and nurses practicing more or less independently in their local communities, and responding only to local data. The emerging 21st century health care system will increasingly bedriven by our capacity to collect, interpret, and apply huge amounts of data effectively and precisely. To build these data sets, we’ll need to be able to share data across regions, across provinces, with the private sector (eg, pharmacies and home care agencies), and with Canadians’ own personal technology platforms. This isn’t a task that provinces can tackle on their own. Few – if any — have the financial resources or technical expertise. More importantly, if the goal is to share data, then success means common technical standards and principles for the protection of patient information.

So the second step is find a new institutional model whereby the provinces can work together. Because data sharing is built on standards and because standards constantly evolve, we need a dedicated and permanent secretariat to provide consistency and continuity in operations. This secretariat must be owned by the provinces and territories.The history of the internet shows time and again that the technologies that successfully unite communities are those built from the bottom-up by innovative users.In this case, it is the provinces and territories who will implement the standards and will learn, by experience, what works.

What would these new institutions look like? One possible route forward has been suggested by the Advisory Panel on Healthcare Innovation (the ‘Naylor Report’), which the Harper government commissioned, but then failed to support. The report called for the creation of a federal “Healthcare Innovation Agency of Canada” with a budget of no less than $1 billion annually. This is a good idea. But this agency can’t be a federally-controlled, top-down agency. Provinces remain cynical of federal involvement in provincial policy areas. What is needed is not an agency in charge of innovation, but rather an administrative support unit funded by Ottawa that can facilitate policy development initiated by and driven by the provinces.

The dilemma for the provinces is that, on the one hand, they will no longer accept any health policy driven by Ottawa; but, on the other hand, they do not individually have the capacity to build a 21st century health system. They need to find a path work together, facilitated but not directed by the federal government. Hegel feared that humanity can only grasp what it needs to do after theopportunity to accomplishit has passed. Yet, if Canada can meet this challenge, it can once again become known for its innovative, sustainable, and humane approach to health system design.

Sorry you are "not a fan", I'm not a fan of people endangering others, or people dying of COVID. These are not normal times. We all need to work together and get over this.

Back