Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

My thought is that the finished project will be able to handle massive storms- but that’s the finished project. If we get walloped in mid-dig...

I also don’t imagine there’s going to be a point when the new river is prepped that they’ll have someone ceremonially open the flood gates, will they?

I also don’t imagine there’s going to be a point when the new river is prepped that they’ll have someone ceremonially open the flood gates, will they?
Up at Sauble Beach one summer in my salad days we created some ponds by damming up a stream that crossed the beach, built a sand castle just below one of the dams, manned the sand castle with gummy bears, and then let the water rip. That's how I'd like to see the new Don Mouth open.

IMG_8094.jpg
IMG_8095.jpg
IMG_8096 3.jpg

Up at Sauble Beach one summer in my salad days we created some ponds by damming up a stream that crossed the beach, built a sand castle just below one of the dams, manned the sand castle with gummy bears, and then let the water rip. That's how I'd like to see the new Don Mouth open.

View attachment 235963View attachment 235964View attachment 235965

That's literally how they used to model hydrology:

Though using gummy bears is a little extravagant...

My thought is that the finished project will be able to handle massive storms- but that’s the finished project. If we get walloped in mid-dig...

The whole area is a floodplain - if there is a storm, it will get flooded. As to "opening" the flood gates - they have to tear down the temporary barriers/berms (and there will be a few)

AoD

Last edited:
I've done those same sort hydrology experiments at Sauble Beach! Especially fun earlier in the summer when there's still enough rain water.

I would have eaten said gummy bears before putting them there though.

Sidewalk Labs update: after scaling back their 800 acre (suprise) macro plans back to the 12 acre original pitch, Sidewalk Labs are launching another land grab initiative, promising to plant 20,000 gummy bear saplings through-out the portlands. One anonymous source was quoted as saying "gummy bear trees have deep roots that will anchor all the infill underway, and when infused with vitamins, provide a chewable option to disenfranchised (homeless) residents."

The Appendix to the CEO's Report for the WT Board's 26 March meeting has some interesting info on the proposed new Lake Shore Bridge. (Briefing on Lake Shore Blvd East – Bridge and Public Realm Project )

See: https://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/6694ad8a-0aaa-4582-a60a-83872a81973a/appendix+to+meeting+book+-+board+of+directors+meeting+-+March+26,+2020.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=6694ad8a-0aaa-4582-a60a-83872a81973a

This is presumably why the wooded area just north of the Aecon Tents (for the Gardiner rebuild - The area circled on this photo.
clearcut.jpg
) has been clear cut and why there are surveyor stakes all around with markings such as "Trail, south side" written on them. I assume this new bridge will mean that the Lower Don Trail will need to be moved in that area.

The Appendix to the CEO's Report for the WT Board's 26 March meeting has some interesting info on the proposed new Lake Shore Bridge. (Briefing on Lake Shore Blvd East – Bridge and Public Realm Project )

See: https://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/6694ad8a-0aaa-4582-a60a-83872a81973a/appendix+to+meeting+book+-+board+of+directors+meeting+-+March+26,+2020.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=6694ad8a-0aaa-4582-a60a-83872a81973a

This is presumably why the wooded area just north of the Aecon Tents (for the Gardiner rebuild - The area circled on this photo. View attachment 238214) has been clear cut and why there are surveyor stakes all around with markings such as "Trail, south side" written on them. I assume this new bridge will mean that the Lower Don Trail will need to be moved in that area.

The particulars might vary a little, but that area has always been proposed for sediment management uses in general.

AoD

Back