Toronto Aquabella at Bayside | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | 3XN

Sunday.

View attachment 235714View attachment 235715

Three observations:

1 - Using the beige cladding and mullions were a big mistake. Should've gone for darker like the renderings. The balconies and neat massing may save this though. Too early to judge IMO.

2 - This area is a deadzone. Every time I have visited there are hardly any people out. And Sunday was a lovely warm day! There should be more people with all the units built down here.

3 - Seemingly none of the retail has been leased out. This is probably both because of and contributing to observation #2. Kind of a disappointment.

I totally hear you re: cladding colour. This was my initial reaction as well. Material wise, cladding and mullions looks great and is definitely not the average "Toronto" condo.

However, I actually think this colour shift might work out for the better. The two buildings to the west are so dark and heavy. A lighter grey base with the sharp white GFRC cladding framework could help make the area more inviting and not so dark (more so when this building is boxed in by the timber offices). There will be a lot of different textures with the three colour interior balcony cladding, so 3XN might have chosen the lighter grey to avoid such a sharp contrast with the white framing and to simplify the finished look. Below, I borrowed your pic to compare it to the the latest render.

I agree with you, It will all come down to the details on this one. Looking forward to seeing them install the white paneling on the north face and wrapping the balconies to create the shadow box design.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.01.02 AM.png

Last edited:
Retail presence will be an ongoing work in progress as the area matures, everything is still pretty raw right now. Apart from the remaining residential projects by Tridel, Menkes, Greenland, Empire, GBC, etc. the office space from the Innovation Centre and the Menkes tower will bring in a large amount of day time employment population as well. Along with the Université de l'Ontario français when it opens at the Daniels Waterfront complex beginning next year.

2 - This area is a deadzone. Every time I have visited there are hardly any people out. And Sunday was a lovely warm day! There should be more people with all the units built down here.
I have faith that this will change in a few short years.

The West Don Lands was similarly a deadzone when there was no retail and barely moved in.

Yes, it looked like that when I walked by yesterday trying to stay 6 feet from others. The 'west peak' clearly has more to go, based on the height of that crane anyone know how many?

Yeah, not sure why, but I can't find the supporting docs for this on the AIC but, looking at the renderings, I think you're right -- it looks like both peaks might actually be to the same height, it's just tough to tell because of the perspective.

Yeah, not sure why, but I can't find the supporting docs for this on the AIC but, looking at the renderings, I think you're right -- it looks like both peaks might actually be to the same height, it's just tough to tell because of the perspective.
I believe the west peak is 15 stories (including mechanical) and the east is slightly shorter. The building overall will be a little taller than Aquavista. Right now they look to be pouring the 11th floor on the west peak.

I thought due to Corona epidemic, works have been suspended!!!

Does work still on going on that project ?

Back