Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Haha, there are bigger fish to fry in the world than worry about not having above ground permits on this
God, I'd hate to live in the lawless, zero-planning Tim Burton version of Gotham you seem to wish we were building.

They are working under the staging platform and the old Hew’s Kitchen building today,.
574DEA22-AC96-4AE2-BBA5-FC41572AE6E7.jpeg
BAC18C77-2FBF-4EA0-9E4E-2A03D7F9280A.jpeg
27918D11-DACC-4578-84AD-1E6E56F2496F.jpeg
7C55442A-8158-4088-A565-3F2D9240850A.jpeg

I forgot that a good chunk of the site was actually well below grade. The permits should keep them busy backfilling that part at least.

Yeah but people cant be jumping all over this project that will eventually get the proper permits to proceed
Though The One MAY get all the permits it wants and needs, we should not forget the recent NYC case where an already almost completed building has been ordered to demolish several floors to conform to the permits issued.

See: https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/02...hould-be-revoked-and-building-reduced-in-size

New York State Supreme Court Justice W. Franc Perry ruled on Thursday that the building permits for 200 Amsterdam Avenue, the nearly completed 668-foot building at 69th Street, “should be revoked, and the building reduced to conform with zoning regulations,” according to Scott Mollen, an attorney for the developers, SJP Properties and Mitsui Fudosan America. The number of floors to be removed was not specified.

“Honestly, it’s epochal,” wrote Chuck Weinstock, who represents the two nonprofits that brought the lawsuit, the Committee for Environmentally Sound Development and the Municipal Art Society of New York, in an email obtained by WSR. “No judge has ever ordered a developer to take down a building like this, based on a lawsuit by a private party, not the city itself.”

The developers had previously won other rulings in the case, but had been told they were building the additional floors at their own risk while challenges proceeded. They have already been marketing units to buyers.

Though The One MAY get all the permits it wants and needs, we should not forget the recent NYC case where an already almost completed building has been ordered to demolish several floors to conform to the permits issued.

See: https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/02...hould-be-revoked-and-building-reduced-in-size

New York State Supreme Court Justice W. Franc Perry ruled on Thursday that the building permits for 200 Amsterdam Avenue, the nearly completed 668-foot building at 69th Street, “should be revoked, and the building reduced to conform with zoning regulations,” according to Scott Mollen, an attorney for the developers, SJP Properties and Mitsui Fudosan America. The number of floors to be removed was not specified.

“Honestly, it’s epochal,” wrote Chuck Weinstock, who represents the two nonprofits that brought the lawsuit, the Committee for Environmentally Sound Development and the Municipal Art Society of New York, in an email obtained by WSR. “No judge has ever ordered a developer to take down a building like this, based on a lawsuit by a private party, not the city itself.”

The developers had previously won other rulings in the case, but had been told they were building the additional floors at their own risk while challenges proceeded. They have already been marketing units to buyers.

Irrelevant comparison. There's nothing to demolish. By the time they reach grade I suspect all the ducks will be in order.

I'm forever amazed at the negativity being unceasingly heaped on what is clearly going to be a signature development that obviously has the required financial backing, engineering integrity, world-class design credentials and most certainly sufficient buyer interest to end in success.

Irrelevant comparison. There's nothing to demolish. By the time they reach grade I suspect all the ducks will be in order.

I'm forever amazed at the negativity being unceasingly heaped on what is clearly going to be a signature development that obviously has the required financial backing, engineering integrity, world-class design credentials and most certainly sufficient buyer interest to end in success.
I was not suggesting that anything with The One will need to be demolished but permits exist for a reason and I was pointing out that (at least in NYC) there can be severe consequences of going ahead with a project without the necessary permits in hand. I am personally not opposed to The One but it really is NOT a good sign that the City felt it necessary to get a Stop Work order to avoid it being built without the necessary permissions etc.

Hard to get a sense of depth from that height. H9w deep is it below the heritage building?
I believe they're standing on the formwork that would put them one below grade (an important note is that the floors are slightly different heights as the tower's first floor uses a false floor - presumably for Apple's expansive networking (that usually is in the ceiling for single story stores).

Back