Toronto U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre (Phase 1) | 64.8m | 13s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi

It’ll be interesting to see if the City puts its foot down on this one. It would set up quite the fight with U of T — and a rather pointless one at that, given that the university has a final trump card to play if it gets to that point.
Which is?

Which is?

Since university lands are provincially owned, they technically don’t have to abide by any municipal planning-related regulations or policies. I know of a couple semi-recent instances in which that has been an active behind-closed-doors item of discussion between the university and the City.

Since university lands are provincially owned, they technically don’t have to abide by any municipal planning-related regulations or policies. I know of a couple semi-recent instances in which that has been an active behind-closed-doors item of discussion between the university and the City.

I don't think this is true? Though publicly funded, U of T is a distinct corporate entity (The Governing Council of the University of Toronto is applicant on all of their planning applications). Of course, there are lots of politics at play when it comes to their growth and development aspirations, hence the behind-closed-doors discussions.

Yep, ditto hospitals (which are private non-profits). In fact the province got told off by the courts for the whole student government fees fiasco precisely because of the fact that universities are not provincially owned.

AoD

Looks like a similar deal here as at 90 Queen’s Park. City lets UofT take down one building but they are going to make them have to incorporate another.

Looks like a similar deal here as at 90 Queen’s Park. City lets UofT take down one building but they are going to make them have to incorporate another.
ugh i still can't believe that jumbly mess is going to be allowed to happen. but I digress.

I actually kind of like Banting. Maybe not to the degree of full-retention, but maybe some aspects of it could be saved somehow.
I'm more concerned with the naming. Two buildings named after pioneering scientists will be no more after this. Nothing will receive their names in place?

just now
76FC79A7-C205-445C-B648-46727F9D21F8.jpeg

Back