News   Apr 19, 2024
 980     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 682     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

By using a large radius around Pickering and capturing most of the 416, he can claim to have a large catchment. Pickering is effectively there to make the 416 have extraordinary amount of service while doing jack all for the bulk of residents who live West of Yonge. Mark cares about the return on his sweat equity here than what's sensible policy though. Why else is an aging Boomer pilot trolling an urbanist forum?

He is doing this so that we can fall in line with building something he wants but no one really needs.

Which is he doing for money. Boomers his age barely know their way around the internet outside of Facebook.....

That is the problem of the attitude of building the new airport - there really is no good reason unless you narrow all the reasons down to ignore the obvious. The only reason that makes any sense is to serve Durham Region. Maybe that is what Oshawa should be built to do. I could agree to that.

That is the problem of the attitude of building the new airport - there really is no good reason unless you narrow all the reasons down to ignore the obvious. The only reason that makes any sense is to serve Durham Region. Maybe that is what Oshawa should be built to do. I could agree to that.

Agreed. Expand Oshawa to handle the increased GA from Buttonville, and maybe a few charter flights. Improve access to YHM, possibly with some kind of express bus from Aldershot GO once flights reach a critical mass (the A-Line already serves the airport for Hamilton, but that isn't much use for a GTA-wide audience, whereas getting to Aldershot is relatively easy for the rest of the GTA).

Oshawa sucks. I've flown out of there. It's hemmed in. And with GM gone, they're probably losing a ton more corporate traffic. I've said before, there's a real case for a small GA airport that would consolidate and replace Markham, Buttonville and Oshawa in one location. Can be decent sized enough for GA. Maybe even some domestic traffic. Think Billy Bishop + Buttonville. But anything beyond this is seriously lacking a business case. Incidentally, if they had stuck to a plan of a smaller airport and pushe to release the rest of the land to an agricultural reserve mostly, there'd probably be crews working on it right now....

Oshawa looks about as hemmed in as Buttonville; roads to the north and west and residential to the south and east, plus a creek.
Oshawa sucks. I've flown out of there. It's hemmed in. And with GM gone, they're probably losing a ton more corporate traffic. I've said before, there's a real case for a small GA airport that would consolidate and replace Markham, Buttonville and Oshawa in one location. Can be decent sized enough for GA. Maybe even some domestic traffic. Think Billy Bishop + Buttonville. But anything beyond this is seriously lacking a business case. Incidentally, if they had stuck to a plan of a smaller airport and pushe to release the rest of the land to an agricultural reserve mostly, there'd probably be crews working on it right now....

Here is an idea, buy the land to the northwest. Extend the runway that way and close that road. Then, build a new terminal and connect it to the 407.

See, I can suggest ideas that are even better than a new greenfield construction.

Should have, could have, perhaps; but did they? I couldn't find any historical Malton images to determine. Even if there were, closing a rural, likely dirt, road in the 1930s or 40s is different than severing a major 5-lane artery in a rapidly in-filling area, one with the only non-terminal interchange on Hwy 412.

Taunton Rd is a fairly major E/W artery.

Building a small road tunnel would be a heck of a lot less expensive than building an entirely new airport though, if maintaining Taunton as a through road is a priority (which I agree it should be).

Heck, the underpass would probably only need to be about the same size as this one on the 407 extension.

Building a small road tunnel would be a heck of a lot less expensive than building an entirely new airport though, if maintaining Taunton as a through road is a priority (which I agree it should be).

Heck, the underpass would probably only need to be about the same size as this one on the 407 extension.

Or, they could swing it slightly north to go around the new airport, like they did at Downsview with Sheppard.

What is so abd about this airport. It seems to be in a good spot.

Calgary did it under their new NS runway when they connected Airport Trail to 36 St. NE.

Back