Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It'd be fun if the city worked in a way of having a bunch of local businesses there.
Though I try to patronise local businesses and agree that having local businesses in Union would be 'nice', I think it is more important that the businesses in Union Station serve the needs of their 'captive' customers (transit users) and maybe attract additional patrons to the area and do so at a reasonable price. AFIK, the retail is all dealt with by Osmington - the Head Leasee - so the selection of who to rent space to is nothing to do with the City.

Posting this here because I get the sense it has to do with work in the moat.

Anyone know what is going on and why they are closing the entrance temporarily?

View attachment 231094

The Centre Moat Tunnel will undergo some work for a few months, hence the closure,and will now push all customers through the New Bay Concourse entrance. Escalators and elevator to be functioning for accessibility, with the elevator also servicing to the Great Hall now.

Posting this here because I get the sense it has to do with work in the moat.

Anyone know what is going on and why they are closing the entrance temporarily?
Duh..... The section of the 'tunnel passage" nearest the TTC still does not have its final flooring tiles and the stairs at the west end of the east Moat need to get their granite tiles too. They are also working on stonework there.
I also noted that the lighting in the tunnel/passage is not all permanent and the long-awaited artwork in the passageway has to be installed. Obviously, this work can more easily be completed without passengers and as the section of the Bay concourse that has been opened is a very good alternative it is clear why it will be closed.

It'll be like the pre-renovation flow of people except that the masses who don't want to go into the subway will now have to walk all the way around the fare-paid area to get to the entrance to Royal Bank Plaza instead of having the clear path between the fare-paid areas. Hopefully they'll have some guides there to herd people in the right direction for a while.

Last view of the passageway from last night.
20200218_200718.jpg

Back