Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
These buildings should have been taller to at least 260-280 m to have real impact on the Toronto skyline
At 241 m, they would just mix up with all those bland glasses in the south core

Not sure the huge footprints of phase one (and phase two soon I hope), superior cladding (with planned installed lighting scheme) will just "mix it up with all the bland glasses" of south core. Height isn't always the only metric, mass + location (skyline void filled) for example. Your comment seems to forget or chooses to forget the impact of such a large, girthy build. Yeah I'd like it taller too but c'mon... major impact on the skyline.

I'm more interested in the original conjoined twins design conceit which I love, that articulates the build as two buildings.

Renderings show that well but the "gorgeous" blue cladding chosen, celebrated of course, I barely glimpse that vertical channel that "separates" the volumes - the 2 different height crowns will of course help sell the notion of 2 for one. Maybe that vertical channel is also lit and we'll see 2 towers at night?

Any way pretty pics abound and fun to watch. Thanks to all photog contributions.

These buildings should have been taller to at least 260-280 m to have real impact on the Toronto skyline
At 241 m, they would just mix up with all those bland glasses in the south core
I said the same thing at the height of 300 m. Because what's going to obstruct the early morning sunrise on this building's facade. Could be at least 5 to 8 skyscrapers that are at the same height or even taller. That are in construction or planning mode in front of the harbour.

Today

3D3DA79A-882A-4916-9073-A6B4417D5ADF.jpeg

Is that the Jan 8th ceremonial last beam on the north face? How did I miss that or maybe it was mentioned in a prior post in the last week. Looking back it was installed between February 8th & 12th. Details. Details. Not all pictures are the same. ?
Almost there.

Pictures taken today.
58CD9A84-2DAD-4AE5-A640-B9038F1BE1FA.jpeg

89E53327-FA7A-4775-A738-61020FE31E05.jpeg
34A13738-E6DC-402A-A780-8B465C25D570.jpeg

Feb 13
32FB8518-93E7-4CAE-B355-CF2ED976ACF6.jpeg

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE - FEBRUARY 14, 2020
2/14/2020

Construction Update - February 14, 2020

Construction Update
Dear neighbours:
Below is a brief update on the CIBC SQUARE project:
Construction at 81 Bay Street
With the completion of the concrete core walls at 81 Bay Street, our crews have now fully dismantled the exterior concrete formwork system that was used to form the walls. We continue to install structural steel around the concrete core of the building, with work progressing between levels 50 and 52 on the north half of the building; structural steel installation is now complete on the south half of the building. Concrete topping to form the floor of each level has now reached level 46, and the curtain wall – which is the outer covering of the building – is being installed at level 41. As work progresses, we anticipate the south tower crane will be dismantled by the end of March. At the podium level, the curtain wall is complete to level 8, with the exception of the north side of level 5, which is the area of the Pavilion slated for a new restaurant. Roofing is underway at levels 4, 5 and 8. The large cable wall which forms the main entrance to the building on Bay Street is nearly complete, and landscaping works within the bus terminal property line started earlier this month on Lake Shore Blvd.
Rail Corridor Overbuild Park
Our crews have now completed pouring the concrete slabs required as part of Phase 1 of the rail corridor overbuild park construction, and landscaping works on the overbuild commenced this week.
When Are We Working
Our crews continue to maintain the following regular working hours at CIBC SQUARE:
Hours of Work:
5AM - 7AM Monday to Friday: Deliveries at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street
7PM - 10PM Monday to Friday: Installation of steel reinforcement rebar at 81 Bay Street and the Podium at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
10PM - 5AM Monday - Saturday: Overnight work including work in the rail corridor and operation of the man and machine hoist on the west side of the site, as per approved noise by-law exemption
9AM - 7PM Saturday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street
We appreciate your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

Random question, is the planned bus terminal here also meant to replace the bus terminal at Bay and Dundas? I read somewhere that there are a planned 14 bus bays, is that enough to replace the old bus terminal?

Random question, is the planned bus terminal here also meant to replace the bus terminal at Bay and Dundas? I read somewhere that there are a planned 14 bus bays, is that enough to replace the old bus terminal?

It was originally supposed to be GO only but I think Greyhound and others got in as well. Last I heard, the Bay/Dundas bus terminal would close. From memory, there are I believe 6 bus bays outside Union Station plus a bunch of bus parking spots but they're not all used simultaneously. 14 bays seems sufficient to meet GO's requirements plus third party bus companies.

It was originally supposed to be GO only but I think Greyhound and others got in as well. Last I heard, the Bay/Dundas bus terminal would close. From memory, there are I believe 6 bus bays outside Union Station plus a bunch of bus parking spots but they're not all used simultaneously. 14 bays seems sufficient to meet GO's requirements plus third party bus companies.
With RER implemented, I suspect we will also see lesser need for Union bound buses and a shift to outer RER terminals with rail connections to Union. Its pure hypothetical conjecture, but it may prove more economical for Metrolinx to have some bums in faster already scheduled trains rather than on congested highways eating up driver time/cost. (which would free up space for added 3rd party use.).

Also this thing is looking gorgeous from all sides. Kudos to all around.

Back