Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If you count the original Eglinton Subway in 1995, it took 35 years to build this line to it's full potential.

If you count the original Eglinton Subway in 1995, it took 35 years to build this line to it's full potential.
Also a bit surprising that the portion that the NDP prioritized as underground, the Liberals proposed as on-street - and now it will be elevated (?).

Also a bit surprising that the portion that the NDP prioritized as underground, the Liberals proposed as on-street - and now it will be elevated (?).
At this point I'd imagine Metrolinx planning to make it elevated at both ends of the line and underground in the middle. If they make it on-street before the line goes underground, it wouldn't make sense considering the space on Eglinton West.

At this point I'd imagine Metrolinx planning to make it elevated at both ends of the line and underground in the middle. If they make it on-street before the line goes underground, it wouldn't make sense considering the space on Eglinton West.
I think they might have it the on-street part through Golden Mile was not started when the PC's got in. As it is, that on-street portion through Golden Mile ensures that nothing will be extended farther East (unless paid entirely by the City).

10 years for what should be an easy surface extension to an existing line.

How many subways did Madrid build in that time??

Meh. Sounds like a dead project to me.

At this point, I'm convinced the only Toronto rapid transit project the government has any intention of attempting to deliver is the Ontario Line. They have absolutely no sense of urgency regarding the other projects. The Scarborough Subway and YNSE in particular have zero signs of life at this point. Not sure if the government is just being hush hush, or if these projects have just been punted to the back burner. Reminds me a lot of the lull before the Liberals cancelled the Sheppard LRT without telling anybody

The Scarborough Subway situation in particular concerns me. Up until the new provincial government was formed, the TTC was working at a fairly frantic pace to have the SSE delivered prior to the Line 3 decomissioning. The new government came in, uploaded the project, and now... crickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. Sounds like a dead project to me.

At this point, I'm convinced the only Toronto rapid transit project the government has any intention of attempting to deliver is the Ontario Line. They have absolutely no sense of urgency regarding the other projects. The Scarborough Subway and YNSE in particular have zero signs of life at this point. Not sure if the government is just being hush hush, or if these projects have just been punted to the back burner. Reminds me a lot of the lull before the Liberals cancelled the Sheppard LRT without telling anybody

I feel this is just stalling till the next election. Then they have something to promise.

I feel this is just stalling till the next election. Then they have something to promise.

I have the same feeling. Should they lose in 2022, all those subways will no longer be their problem. The next government will "review" everything once again.

If they stay in power in 2022, then they might actually start moving forward. Having improved their balance sheets due to the delayed spending on transit construction.

They can't afford to do nothing at all though, hence they chose to push ahead with the OL.

GTA became trash at building subways. So Vancouver can plan to complete the 6km Broadway subway in 5 years, why does it take 10 years here? ML and the Liberals set a bad example with the Crosstown by slowing down the cash flow and do the tunnels in 5 years than another 5 for the stations. The approach seem to have spread to every future projects.

No I don't agree that the PCs are just buffing. They'll tender all 4 projects for empty tunnels. They'll all complete in 2025-27 with no stations, tracks or trains just like the Crosstown did. The next government would be stuck with them and if they fail to deliver, they'll take the blame.

I mean the Eglinton subway only was planned from Eglinton West station to Mount Dennis.

So, its hard to say specifically how you could extrapolate that into a timeline with the full system.

Maybe take 15 years off the 35 years?

GTA became trash at building subways. So Vancouver can plan to complete the 6km Broadway subway in 5 years, why does it take 10 years here? ML and the Liberals set a bad example with the Crosstown by slowing down the cash flow and do the tunnels in 5 years than another 5 for the stations. The approach seem to have spread to every future projects.

No I don't agree that the PCs are just buffing. They'll tender all 4 projects for empty tunnels. They'll all complete in 2025-27 with no stations, tracks or trains just like the Crosstown did. The next government would be stuck with them and if they fail to deliver, they'll take the blame.

The largest issue is funding.

The way Ontario funds projects is different than Quebec and BC. We release funding slowly as projects go on, to lower the lending and debt that incurs with large scale investments. But it means a slower project build out.

Not only that, but both BC and Quebec seem to be securing funding from Pension Funds and other sources whereas Ontario does not. I have no idea why that is.

Quebecs pension invests in transit whereas ours in the Blue Jays...

Quebecs pension invests in transit whereas ours in the Blue Jays...

Quebec government managed pension funds are legislated to take lower ROI when it benefits the province as a whole. This has a side-effect of requiring higher contributions by employees to achieve the same payout BUT they would argue the province is a more attractive place to live. At the moment it's working as an indirect tax for transit construction. That said, I think REM is going to be paying a decent profit at 72 cents per km per passenger; government will be paying that rate topping up the difference between passenger fares and contracted fees.

Ontario's (OMERS, and Teachers) are largely managed by the unions themselves and seek highest sustainable recession resistant ROI. Highway 407 is 50% pension owned.

Last edited:
I mean the Eglinton subway only was planned from Eglinton West station to Mount Dennis.

So, its hard to say specifically how you could extrapolate that into a timeline with the full system.

Maybe take 15 years off the 35 years?
They were but they were eventually going to extend it to Renforth or potentially Pearson airport.
Eglinton_West_Line.png

They were but they were eventually going to extend it to Renforth or potentially Pearson airport.
View attachment 231378
This line map from the Wikipedia article of the Eglinton West subway with theoretical stops. It was always planned to end at York Centre (Mount Dennis) and anything past that station is a pipe dream or a consideration. It's similar to the Sheppard Subway where we only got 4 stations instead of STC. I agree, a subway to the Airport would be nice though. And they could've even extended it east to yonge or don mills.

Back