Toronto Backyard Neighbourhood Condos | 24.99m | 10s | VANDYK | Kohn

Today:

DSC01806.jpg
DSC01807.jpg
DSC01808.jpg
DSC01809.jpg
DSC01810.jpg

This one's getting some colour, as they've begun to stain the precast brick-patterned panels:

DSC02126.jpg
DSC02127.jpg
DSC02128.jpg
DSC02129.jpg
DSC02130.jpg
DSC02131.jpg
DSC02132.jpg
DSC02133.jpg

The dark gray stucco around the balcony walls is new too.

Reactions: PMT
Maybe google knows something we don't (and I wouldn't be surprised):
1580940766176.png

Also, from their website:

WHEN ARE WE OPENING?
We’re busy securing amazing locally grown food and fantastic products for our members, kitting out the store interior and spreading the word in our community. We are gearing up for a February 2020 opening.

That's kind of worrying. The building looked all but complete in the summer and the food co-op said they would open in June 2019. I wonder how the purchasers feel about this.

That's kind of worrying. The building looked all but complete in the summer and the food co-op said they would open in June 2019. I wonder how the purchasers feel about this.
The building looks very much under construction in the photos from July literally a few post up.. Not sure what you are expecting, buildings' aren't complete just because some cladding has been hung. It takes months for interior fit outs.

Tenant fit outs for retail spaces are the problem of the tenant, and it's very common for them to be overly optimistic about opening dates. Personally i would be more surprised if a retail tenant opened on the date they initially planned than I would be if they got delayed.

The building looks very much under construction in the photos from July literally a few post up.. Not sure what you are expecting, buildings' aren't complete just because some cladding has been hung. It takes months for interior fit outs.

Tenant fit outs for retail spaces are the problem of the tenant, and it's very common for them to be overly optimistic about opening dates. Personally i would be more surprised if a retail tenant opened on the date they initially planned than I would be if they got delayed.
What your saying is true, but there are questions as to why the Co-op is a full year behind, and it's not because the building shell was not ready for fit out. I hope these guys are competent: I will be joining the co-op.

The food co-op was relying on funding from VanDyk, the convenience of local shops was one of their selling points. I would love to hear what the purchasers are saying I can't see if there are any POI forms on the windows.

The food co-op was relying on funding from VanDyk, the convenience of local shops was one of their selling points. I would love to hear what the purchasers are saying I can't see if there are any POI forms on the windows.
I do not know if VanDyk was withholding funds or if it was another issue. Possibly. The space was built out, ready for being fitted up, but with the first condo not ready yet, maybe VanDyk weren't releasing the funds yet, no idea. It appears it will open by the time anyone moves in though.

…but no one has moved in yet. Two evenings ago I saw the first forms up on one of the units' windows.

The food co-op is nowhere near 'coming soon':
IMG_20200301_135118.jpg

IMG_20200301_135041.jpg

The residential building finally looks almost done:
IMG_20200301_134722.jpg

IMG_20200301_134823.jpg
IMG_20200301_134902.jpg

IMG_20200301_135243.jpg

While I do approve of the materiality this building offers due to its use of various materials (brick, precast, spandrel), I do question the decision to run an L-tower-esque circle support column through a square corner space:

IMG_20200301_135423.jpg

oh crumbs these support columns really annoy me - right up there with exposed duct work. What are you trying to prove? It's a home not a garage.

Back