Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

There has been tremendous traffic here for few years now in the morning rush hour, it's very much consistent you might be approaching that intersection after 10:00am in the morning to not see it jammed from Esso to Palace Pier.
Well, that's not the direction I usually travel, so maybe that particular part of Lake Shore is congested without me noticing it. But it strikes me as odd why people just wouldn't use Marine Parade as a detour in that case. I've never seen Marine Parade congested. Anyway, if I don't forget, I'll snap a picture of the intersection tomorrow morning at around 8:15 am. A picture's worth a thousand words after all.

Much of the traffic issues can be and will be resolved, if they make Park Lawn 3 lanes, and get rid of the bike lane.

Coupled with the relief road, the area should be able to handle the further population growth.

However, if they do not make Park Lawn 3 lanes, it will continue to be a total gong show.

Even more surprising is why the City hasnt expanded Park Lawn already? It's so simple...yet so complicated...smh

Much of the traffic issues can be and will be resolved, if they make Park Lawn 3 lanes, and get rid of the bike lane.

Coupled with the relief road, the area should be able to handle the further population growth.

However, if they do not make Park Lawn 3 lanes, it will continue to be a total gong show.

Even more surprising is why the City hasnt expanded Park Lawn already? It's so simple...yet so complicated...smh
Every time you add a new lane - or a brand-new 400-series highway, for that matter - it only encourages more traffic and more rapid uptake of the newly-added capacity. In very short order you get the "new normal-" which is traffic congestion. The answer lies in some combination of much better public transit, discouragement of personal motor vehicles driven by a single occupant (or at least the encouragement of driverless vehicles which can handle greater vehicular density than vehicles piloted by very fallible, distracted, entirely human drivers who are festering in a stew of road rage, impatience and anxiety) and a slew of other measures. We need to think outside the box and opt for solutions that don't reflexively reflect stale thinking from past eras.

They did widen the road. About 5 years back. Added a whole new southbound lane and an extra right turn lane at the Lake Shore intersection. Here's then and now from Google Street View :

1580230285275.png

And you can't really widen the road any further. The railway and Gardiner underpasses are the bottlenecks:

1580230501133.png

There are no dedicated bike lanes, just shared road space with cars and "bike-friendly" road markings. For some odd reason, the bike road markings mysteriously disappear just south of the railway underpass. The ones in the above screenshot are the last of them.

So when it comes to bike lanes, I just have 2 things to say:
1. There is nothing to remove
2. Please, wash your mouth out with soap for ever suggesting to remove bike lanes :)

Last edited:
'20 cars waiting for the light to go green what constitutes "traffic" to them'. At 1.5 people per car, that's 30 people. ?

And if those 30 people boarded a bus, streetcar, or GO train...
The problem here (and I am speculating a little bit because I don't think there is hard data available) is that the demographics of people who move into Humber Bay tend to consist of households with different commuter patterns. One person may be able to board a streetcar or GO train to their job downtown, but the other person is likely driving to their work in some Mississauga business park. Transit isn't an option in the latter case.

The convenience of accommodating different commuter patterns is one of the benefits of purchasing a condo in HBS. But it means that driving and road traffic is a reality and not easily replaced.

No, it's going to be a tough, slow transition for sure. Yet we are going to have to go there eventually.... the sooner the better. This city - this province! - has allowed itself to be mired in the past. Progressive cities around the world understand that the future lies in massive people-movers that by their nature are more efficient at getting people around in cities.

Anyway, enough about it for now... I've done my part to derail the thread, bowing out. I hope the area in question gets the kind of public transit amenities it so clearly deserves, considering how much more populous it's going to be in a decade's time.

I don't think they've yet identified all of the funds needed to build the Legion Road connection. It's insane how long things like this take!

In regards to a bike lane on Park Lawn, yup it's just sharrows there. In the meantime, another languishing project in the area is the Mimico Creek bike path which now exists beside the Onni Westlake complex, and which the City has been collecting funds for, but for which they still have not started construction up to The Queensway. That would improve the cycling network in the area substantially as Park Lawn is a standard raceway for cars that have just exited the Gardiner: bypassing that street is important for cycling safety in the area, but we continue to wait…

Oh a stormwater facility is proposed there? I suppose if one is needed that should take priority.

I was thinking that it could have supported development and parkspace, and perhaps a pedestrian/cycling bridge over the Mimico connecting to one of the condos on Park Lawn (and therefore to the future GO station).

I don't think they've yet identified all of the funds needed to build the Legion Road connection. It's insane how long things like this take!

In regards to a bike lane on Park Lawn, yup it's just sharrows there. In the meantime, another languishing project in the area is the Mimico Creek bike path which now exists beside the Onni Westlake complex, and which the City has been collecting funds for, but for which they still have not started construction up to The Queensway. That would improve the cycling network in the area substantially as Park Lawn is a standard raceway for cars that have just exited the Gardiner: bypassing that street is important for cycling safety in the area, but we continue to wait…

You have to wonder what has the city been doing with all the revenues they've been collecting from developers in Humber Bay and Liberty village. Because evidently this has not resulted in much-needed infrastructure investment in either of these communities.

You have to wonder what has the city been doing with all the revenues they've been collecting from developers in Humber Bay and Liberty village. Because evidently this has not resulted in much-needed infrastructure investment in either of these communities.
You'd a'thunk that Liberty Vlg developments would have paid for that road alongside rail corridor by now, that Mystic Point weren't to go up without work getting done on Legion Road, yes, etc.!

The Legion Road extension is a road to nowhere, it would have little to benefit to congestion. The 2150 Lakeshore relief road adds value

The Legion Road extension is a road to nowhere, it would have little to benefit to congestion. The 2150 Lakeshore relief road adds value

...except to provide another route off the eastbound Gardiner Expressway, especially for drivers wanting to go westbound on Lake Shore Blvd. W..

Back