News   Mar 28, 2024
 144     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 593     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

DSC: "I had not realised that streetcars looped north on Simcoe (presumably having gone west along Station Street). I would have thought the hill at that block would have been too steep but I guess the older streetcars were made of sterner stuff."

My interpretation of this 1928 photo is that the streetcar is turning SOUTH on Simcoe, therefore taking advantage of of the downhill slope.

DSC: "I had not realised that streetcars looped north on Simcoe (presumably having gone west along Station Street). I would have thought the hill at that block would have been too steep but I guess the older streetcars were made of sterner stuff."

My interpretation of this 1928 photo is that the streetcar is turning SOUTH on Simcoe, therefore taking advantage of of the downhill slope.
I think you are right and are borne out by TransitToronto who say:

"Five years later, on September 1, 1921, the Toronto Railway Company’s franchise expired, and the city-owned Toronto Transportation Commission took over operations. The TTC’s Yonge streetcar operated out of a carhouse in Yorkville from the wye at Woodlawn via south on Yonge and west on Front, looping via Simcoe, Station Street and Front. Alternate cars on weekdays short turned via Front, Scott and Wellington streets. Cars operated seven days a week, with night cars turning back by wyeing at Yonge and Wellington. " See: https://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4125.shtml

Queen St. W. at Beverly St. 1974, illustration © Leslie Tait, TPL
Queen St. W. at Beverly St. 1974, illustration © Leslie Tait, TPL.jpg

2014.jpg

2015.jpg

2016.jpg

2019.jpg

When I worked in the mail department of Eatons in 1970, all those street names were alive and well, relating to the buildings. I loved rattling round those old buildings using the old freight elevators, salt dispensers on the walls, musty, dark, scurrying around where the Eaton customers were not.

Back