News   Apr 19, 2024
 416     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 742     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 756     1 

What explains this geographic trend of a high percentage of young adults living with parents in Southern Ontario?

We have a culture of home ownership, and the younger generation doesn't want to be paying investors who own 5 houses rent until they're 40, only to be able to buy a tiny condo after all that time. They want to buy something for themselves like previous generations did.

I don't. And neither do a majority of my friends. Most of us can do maths to a decent level of profficiency. Not sure we can spell though. I blame SMSs and all that.

but nothing I did was at my parents expense.
If that’s the case, you’re all good by my book, for what that‘s worth. My ire is directed at graduated and working adults eroding their parents’ retirement and derailing their parents’ life plans by failure to launch.

If I was a young person today I’d be leaving Toronto. It’s a big country, surely we don’t all aspire to sitting at a desk downtown all day. In my early 30s I moved to Fredericton, NB and for three years lived a cheap life.

There are places in this country where homes are cheap and jobs are available. If you can’t afford Toronto, you may be able to afford Regina. Again, we have a big, fantastic country, just because our parents chose the GTA doesn’t mean we’re forever stuck here. That was one of the reasons I moved to Fredericton, since, like every other immigrant family to Canada it seems, we moved to Toronto (or Vancouver) and then stayed there. I wanted a different immigrant story for myself, not obliged to live where my parents chose, but to see this country, and to live in other parts. When I retire in 17 years or so (I'm 48) I'll probably want to move, at least part time to British Columbia.

Last edited:
If that’s the case, you’re all good by my book, for what that‘s worth. My ire is directed at graduated and working adults eroding their parents’ retirement and derailing their parents’ life plans by failure to launch.

If I was a young person today I’d be leaving Toronto. It’s a big country, surely we don’t all aspire to sitting at a desk downtown all day. In my early 30s I moved to Fredericton, NB and for three years lived a cheap life. There are places in this country where homes are cheap and jobs are available. If you can’t afford Toronto, you may be able to afford Regina. Again, we have a big, fantastic country, just because our parents chose the GTA doesn’t mean we’re forever stuck here. That was one of the reasons I moved to Fredericton, since, like every other immigrant family to Canada it seems, we moved to Toronto (or Vancouver) and then stayed there. I wanted a different immigrant story for myself, not obliged to live where my parents chose, but to see this country, and to live in other parts. When I retire in 17 years or so (I'm 48) I'll probably want to move, at least part time to British Columbia.
That's fair, and it is a problem for sure. I definitely wouldn't have stayed if it comprised everything my parents worked for. You're not wrong about leaving Toronto either; I've thought about Halifax for a while now. Always loved the city, have friends and family there, and the houses are so cheap. I won't be leaving anytime soon but there's a lot of appeal in selling my place and almost making enough to buy something outright in Halifax.

I've thought about Halifax for a while now. Always loved the city, have friends and family there, and the houses are so cheap. I won't be leaving anytime soon but there's a lot of appeal in selling my place and almost making enough to buy something outright in Halifax.
Halifax is one of my favourite cities I used to visit when living out east.

A quick search on Realtor.ca with a $400K to $500K price filter shows some real gems in the city, such as https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/...y-house-6296-lawrence-street-halifax-halifax? And over 500 jobs on Indeed.ca in the over $60K range. Hell, maybe I'll move back out east.

Moving outside of the GTA or even Ontario can be a faster and more affordable means for young adults to launch from their parent's house.

Halifax is one of my favourite cities I used to visit when living out east.

A quick search on Realtor.ca with a $400K to $500K price filter shows some real gems in the city, such as https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/...y-house-6296-lawrence-street-halifax-halifax? And over 500 jobs on Indeed.ca in the over $60K range. Hell, maybe I'll move back out east.

Moving outside of the GTA or even Ontario can be a faster and more affordable means for young adults to launch from their parent's house.
Yeah there are some amazing houses there for under $500k, if I was going to look elsewhere that'd probably be my top pick. I've always loved the east coast, been to Newfoundland a few times too but the weather there would deter me from staying long term; great place to visit though.

Yeah there are some amazing houses there for under $500k, if I was going to look elsewhere that'd probably be my top pick. I've always loved the east coast, been to Newfoundland a few times too but the weather there would deter me from staying long term; great place to visit though.
The weather is the reason I fled NB back to Toronto. Snow starts in October, stays until late May. No thanks.

If you want to escape winter and don't mind the rain, the BC coast is the place to go. Same filter, $400K to $500K shows lots of gems like this https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/...e-family-house-508-e-4th-avenue-prince-rupert. Not so many jobs over $50K, but there are some https://ca.indeed.com/$50,200-jobs-in-Prince-Rupert,-BC

Last edited:
I am in my 20s single female and live with my parents...Living at home being honest is just self interest...I could go on own and struggle badly with sky high rent or be a bit comfortable and enjoy life.

I be honest I work and pay my share of bills and my own car and insurance and go to school...Yeah I cant bring guys over to my place or host booze-filled parties, but I am able to save and live comfortably.

As a result by my mids 20s when my career is going off, i will be rather debt-free and have a decent amount of savings.

Like i could move out but i feel i be throwing myself 10 years back financially as i think its very hard for someone around 18-25 to make it on their own in the GTA these days.

Plus I think its more a small town thing or American thing where living with your 20s with your parents is look down upon. Maybe its culturally as I am Punjabi but its normal for girls to live with their parents until they are married.

Sounds very selfish. Man-childs mooching off their parents so they can travel. If I was your parent I’d be charging your 20s behind rent to cover MY vacation expenses.

Your 20s are not for enjoying your lives, they’re for working your ass off to establish yourself so that you can enjoy your later lives. Putting off today for tomorrow seems to be an alien concept to millennials.

I think the big difference is that people these days dont care what other people think.

Like there is this idea you have to struggle and make it on your own to be good in life but based on what i seen that is bull shit.

Plus I think its more a small town thing or American thing where living with your 20s with your parents is look down upon. Maybe its culturally as I am Punjabi but its normal for girls to live with their parents until they are married.
But what if you never marry? I'm in my late 40s and among my friends of South Asian origin I see their daughters rocking it education and career wise, with doctors, lawyers, pharmacists and lots of STEM focus, but their 25 year old sons seem lost, sitting in the basement playing video games and failing in school. Eventually their sisters move out, but what of the boys?

Of course we can all marry outside our ethnic group. I'm a white guy from the UK of English blood (does that make me an indigenous anglo?) in a sea of POWP (plain old white people) and I honestly wouldn't know how to find another one of those in Canada. We white, UK-born Canadians are the invisible immigrants - yes that's a privilege-laden existence. I only mention ethnicity because you write of being Punjabi and its traditional expectations of girls staying home.

Last edited:
But what if you never marry? I'm in my late 40s and among my friends of South Asian origin I see their daughters rocking it education and career wise, with doctors, lawyers, pharmacists and lots of STEM focus, but their 25 year old sons seem lost, sitting in the basement playing video games and failing in school. Eventually their sisters move out, but what of the boys?

Of course we can all marry outside our ethnic group. I'm a white guy from the UK of English blood (does that make me an indigenous anglo?) in a sea of POWP (plain old white people) and I honestly wouldn't know how to find another one of those in Canada. We white, UK-born Canadians are the invisible immigrants - yes that's a privilege-laden existence. I only mention ethnicity because you write of being Punjabi and its traditional expectations of girls staying home.
Yeah I do agree the culture does lead to a lot of spoiled lazy boys or guys who have no purpose. You see that in the violence in Surrey gang wars.

Girls are expected to marry and live with their husband but guys? Not much pressure and therefore lose focus.

I got married when I was 21 and moved out. My wife had been living at the apartment for a little bit though and I already had a bunch of stuff moved in. I suspect if I hadn't got married, I would have continued living with mom and dad. As for your 20's being about fun, I was a dad at 22.

Last edited:
Like there is this idea you have to struggle and make it on your own to be good in life but based on what i seen that is bull shit.

Struggling when you don't have to IS rather bullshit but have you any idea of how many amazing life lessons I learnt through personal experience (the best teacher) because of the bullshit I went through in my 20s (not all of which was fuckery of my doing)?

Invaluable. Made me a far better person than I would have been otherwise.

have you any idea of how many amazing life lessons I learnt through personal experience
No one here knows you, or anything about you other that what you may have revealed, and most won’t have paid any attention As we’re all busy with our own lives. It thus seems a little pretentious to assume that anyone of UT should or would know anything about your personal experience.

Back