News   Apr 18, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Ottawa Transit Developments

How about the number of LRT's running on the Confederation line. If I understood correctly, there less trains in operations as actually needed. Some seem to be still in the process to be certified and approved. Will there be more trains soon on the Confederation line or do we need to wait for Stage 2 to be completed?
I tried to research some information, but somehow without clear results.
There are 13 two-car trains running. The original plan was to have 15 two-car trains running on the Phase 1 route. There has been considerable talk about adding one or two more trains. I believe the issue relates to train reliability. More trains need to be out of service than originally anticipated.

How many Alstom trains have been delivered in total for the Confederation line?
34 vehicles are complete and handed over to the city (all for Stage 1).

And additional 38 vehicles are currently anywhere between testing and assembly stages.

Just remember that they operate in two-vehicle pairs, so 34 vehicles means 17 operational trains.

34 vehicles are complete and handed over to the city (all for Stage 1).

And additional 38 vehicles are currently anywhere between testing and assembly stages.

Just remember that they operate in two-vehicle pairs, so 34 vehicles means 17 operational trains.
It means 17 available and a good deal fewer operational - like perhaps 15 at best and maybe only 14.

It means 17 available and a good deal fewer operational - like perhaps 15 at best and maybe only 14.
Of the 17, two are meant to be kept as spares. One is a hot spare, the other is a maintenance spare. Only 15 trains would ever be out in service.

We know for a fact that all 34 vehicles function as they have all been seen in operation. It's just a matter of keeping 14 and 15 trains running reliably enough to be used together.

That's the main issue here. The impacts are much worse in Ottawa because in other metro systems you have line redundancies.
I have been harping about the lack of redundancies on the Ottawa board for months including before the Confederation Line commenced service. I get told that we can't afford redundancy. I say we can't afford not having adequate redundancy. People are going to bale out on transit if the lack of reliable service continues. Just when it appears to get better, it gets worse again. We are seeing a huge array of problems. Problems relate to catenary, doors, computer software, switches, general mechanical problems, and now even wheels.

Back