News   Apr 17, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Everyone who uses PRESTO regularly should try to set up auto-load so one's balance is not important. Those who do not want (or cannot have) autoload actually have very few places to check their balances except at regular Presto machines (and I agree this is not a good idea - particularly at rush-hours! Once the TTC gets enough regular and functioning Presto machines they need to install more "Balance Checking" (only) machines. GO has some but the customer volumes at most GO Presto machines are not at the level seen on most TTC ones.
The balance-checking machine should also allow one to see how much time left for the free transfers.

Today at Yorkdale station I noticed they still the old turnstiles are in place. Only two PRESTO readers are attached to a cutting board.
I’ve asked the TTC staff, but they didn’t know about new PRESTO gates coming in. I tried to Google quickly, but didn’t find an answer about new gates.
Does anyone know?

Today at Yorkdale station I noticed they still the old turnstiles are in place. Only two PRESTO readers are attached to a cutting board.
I’ve asked the TTC staff, but they didn’t know about new PRESTO gates coming in. I tried to Google quickly, but didn’t find an answer about new gates.
Does anyone know?
Just to let you know next time, Google has a feature to search within certain websites. For example, to search within the TTC's official website, add "site:ttc.ca" without the quotes to the search term.

The same is true with other search engines.

What's the longest you guys have gone without seeing a Presto Transaction updated on the website?

I have a tap on, tap off, and reload transaction missing from 6 days ago. It was a GO Bus. Balance is correct.

New Presto reader inside the building at Richmond Hill Centre Terminal. The old readers inside the non-heated (heat lamp only) waiting areas are still there.
IMG_4697.jpg

Related image
View attachment 223704
TTC should have gone with the default S&B software like OCTranspo of London Transit. They probably could have also avoided the concession fraud problem.

I was speaking to an S&B technician in Ottawa and he confirmed that the readers on Ottawa's buses run software from Metrolinx/Accenture, and report directly to them. This differs from Ottawa's fare gates and TVMs, which run S&B FareGo, and support internal cards like employee and accessibility cards, multi-day disposable contactless passes, and free transit for seniors on Wednesdays and Sundays with a Presto card, which isn't possible on the buses.

Apparently Ottawa is updating the BFTPs (bus fare transaction processor) to new software over the coming months to align them with the internal FareGo backend and allow them to support the various fare media that the gates support.

I was speaking to an S&B technician in Ottawa and he confirmed that the readers on Ottawa's buses run software from Metrolinx/Accenture, and report directly to them. This differs from Ottawa's fare gates and TVMs, which run S&B FareGo, and support internal cards like employee and accessibility cards, multi-day disposable contactless passes, and free transit for seniors on Wednesdays and Sundays with a Presto card, which isn't possible on the buses.

Apparently Ottawa is updating the BFTPs (bus fare transaction processor) to new software over the coming months to align them with the internal FareGo backend and allow them to support the various fare media that the gates support.
Based on what I remember, the fare gates SSRMs and TVMs all run FareGO on the devices themselves and use FareGO to interface with the PRESTO Central System. The vehicle readers run FareGO, but the TTC has a customized version to support the legacy transfer system. But, with the TTC and OCTranspo, both systems' vehicle readers used a subsystem made/developed by Accenture/Presto to interface with the Presto Central System. I think London Transit's system runs entirely on FareGO (including their central system, not entirely sure, have to check). Here's a diagram of how the various devices on the Presto network interface with the central system:
Screenshot_20200116-075129.jpg

Last edited:
Based on what I remember, the fare gates SSRMs and TVMs all run FareGO on the devices themselves and use FareGO to interface with the PRESTO Central System. The vehicle readers run FareGO, but the TTC has a customized version to support the legacy transfer system. But, with the TTC and OCTranspo, both systems' vehicle readers used a subsystem made/developed by Accenture/Presto to interface with the Presto Central System. I think London Transit's system runs entirely on FareGO (including their central system, not entirely sure, have to check). Here's a diagram of how the various devices on the Presto network interface with the central system:
View attachment 225857
That checks out. I believe OC Transpo is moving the BFTPs onto the same internally managed FareGo implementation, rather than Metrolinx/Accenture's, giving them more control over their equipment and more flexible fare options. As it stands now, OC Transpo uses STO's Multi system to implement the Transpass and Upass fare options, avoiding having to deal with Metrolinx/Accenture.

That checks out. I believe OC Transpo is moving the BFTPs onto the same internally managed FareGo implementation, rather than Metrolinx/Accenture's, giving them more control over their equipment and more flexible fare options. As it stands now, OC Transpo uses STO's Multi system to implement the Transpass and Upass fare options, avoiding having to deal with Metrolinx/Accenture.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire presto system gets moved over to FareGo when the operating contract for Presto gets retendered.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire presto system gets moved over to FareGo when the operating contract for Presto gets retendered.
im actually a little surprised on how many different entities are involved with 1 card system. perhaps this may be a contributing factor to all the problems in the system and timely resolutions.

The problem is that Metrolinx isn't sticking with S&B for the next order of equipment, instead going with Famoco, which is a device-only manufacturer. A benefit of the current system is that they can switch equipment providers if they choose to. It might not always be a good idea, but at least they can.

I find that the new black colour design scheme is not as useful compared with the former green.

Especially with the new Presto Ticketing machine at TTC stations or the new Black tap-on / balance check machines, they just don't seem to standout from the surroundings. Where the green machines just seem to stick out like a sore thumb grabbing your attention.

With the new black machines, users will have to know what they are looking for, rather than the machine trying to grab the user's attention.

Perhaps a composition with more green and less black (currently is like over 90% black), will be more attention grabbing.

Back