Toronto Riverside Square | 64.6m | 20s | Streetcar | RAW Design

I feel the same way. I find myself wishing they torqued it by pushing those off-angles harder, sculpting it more. I welcome the additional street vibrancy it's bringing but as a collection of modern buildings I think it's a bit of a miss. Nearby, River City has much more personality.

I feel the same way. I find myself wishing they torqued it by pushing those off-angles harder, sculpting it more. I welcome the additional street vibrancy it's bringing but as a collection of modern buildings I think it's a bit of a miss. Nearby, River City has much more personality.
I agree. If you're trying for something interesting by just shuffling the deck and moving boxes around, you might as well take some chances. Offset boxes on boxes soon become boring as an architectural flourish.

I think this is a step up from standard, midprice-point, Toronto-condo fare but it will always be lesser to River City directly across the DVP, where Saucier+Perrotte really pushed the envelope and, crucially, where Urban Capital went along for the ride.

Last edited:
Streetcar has been one of the better developers with infill development going above and beyond to avoid the big block sameness being built everywhere. They have done most of this with a REIT as a partner. Riverside Square is a disappointment so far from their past projects. The scale is overbuilt and there's more sameness than usual.

I assume that there is another (or several other) phases in this development to replace the car sales place and bring it up to Queen Street. Any timetable that we know of?

I don't have any details about the future plans or timeline of the existing Toyota dealership at 677 Queen St E, but the section west of the laneway now called "Baseball Place" will be a park/public space.

As a side note, the house east of the Toyota dealership, at 685 Queen St E has been designated for future affordable housing usage:

1579207748749.png

Last edited:
Half the reason Streetcar renovated the Broadview hotel was to increase land values around here since they own so much of it. I imagine the Broadview was done more or less at cost, with the real profit coming from increased real estate sales.

Back