Toronto The Broadview Terraces | 15m | 3s | Studio JCI

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

This project combines three addresses along Broadview Ave in Toronto’s rapidly changing east end in a complex, mixed-use renovation. Two existing structures have been combined and converted from commercial offices to 11 rental residential suites with retail at grade. The third structure contains existing rental residences but is unified with its neighbors through a continuous facade expression. The street facing façade features a faceted, perforated metal screen. The screen modulates light and provides privacy for the street facing suites. The rear facing suites have access to a cascading series of terraces.

1577389344550.png

20191226_115424.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed. It has thus far escaped most any kind of gentrification/redevelopment, and yet it has tremendous potential. Further north along Broadview it's much more pleasant, although still very residential and quiet. I don't expect that to change any time soon; Riverdale residents would be up in arms if their sacred view of downtown were to be taken away from them by a slew of towers along the east side of the Don Valley.

This will be cool to see. I've a hunch it will help kick-start other projects along that strip.

Broadview north of Riverdale Ave on the east side has primo di primo potential. The view of downtown from there is breathtaking. I realize that acquiring existing properties would cost a fortune and Riverdale residents would be out with torches and pitchforks if a developer so much as proposed anything BUT what a wasted opportunity it is. I don’t think anything 8 stories or less doesn’t even need a variance since it would be within the tolerance of the existing zoning for “Main Streets” as outlined in the city’s official plan. I think mid rise housing there with retail at grade would be a huge success and developing it would give so many more people the opportunity to enjoy it. The dumpy houses that are there now prevent what could be one of the most beautiful Avenues in Toronto for everyone to enjoy.

I agree with you in spirit that maybe 6-8 story buildings would be appropriate along this stretch, I find it a tad annoyingly hyperbolic to call the existing buildings "dumpy." This is primo real estate territory and people pay dearly for their chunk of it. The vast majority of it is very well kept up.

That will not happen period. As Lenser stated these houses are not dumpy and are worth a fortune. Meanwhile there are two major strips of retail along Broadview Avenue south of Gerrard Street and Gerrard street itself. That is where the action with retail and mid rises will happen.

I'd like to see a lot more of these and further intensifications along Broadview south of here, and on Gerrard. Especially with the struggling retail strip on Broadview all the way to Queen East. It would be nice to see some new life injected into it. The retail vacancies are actually not as bad on Gerrard but the streetscape looks tired and could use a boost too.

Perhaps a tad more opaque than originally suggested in the rendering. But overall a solid upgrade and good quality on the materials used.

Back