Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

As if the Liberals were any better with delay tactics. Every single Miller-era LRT was reduced in scope, delayed by many years, then eventually cancelled altogether in some cases. And Wynne's cowardly decision to reject dedicated revenue tools to pay for transit, will forever ensure that money will be scarce and bitterly fought for by municipalities in every budget and election cycle. This province under both parties has proven to absolutely suck at delivering transit in a timely manner and sticking to previously established plans. Today's announcement is just a continuation of this pattern. Just another chapter in Ontario transit politics.
We need a party that puts the interest of the Greater Golden Horseshoe first.

Pedsonally, I’m wondering if the money dedicated has essentially been cut, or it’s been internally reallocated for other projects.
Likely to the Ontaro Line or other pet projects of Ford's desires.

That's not true. The province is still promising $1 billion for transit in Hamilton, however it won't be for LRT. They will set up a "Hamilton Transportation Task Force" that will report back in February with a list of projects that can be "delivered quickly and in a fiscally responsible manner."

That's not true. The province is still promising $1 billion for transit in Hamilton, however it won't be for LRT. They will set up a "Hamilton Transportation Task Force" that will report back in February with a list of projects that can be "delivered quickly and in a fiscally responsible manner."

The offensive part is, Hamilton already had a Task Force. It was called “City Council”.
Just another manifestation of Ford’s contempt for municipal governments when they don’t follow his playbook.

- Paul

^ It's not just the Premier. Comments by the local PC MPP and federal Liberal MP certainly indicate what the local opposition has been up to.

I have no time for Skelly or Bratina.

People who have accomplished somewhere between little and nothing for Hamilton during their various tenures in office.

I find both of them very grating as people too.

There are a lot of mixed feelings about the LRT in the Hamilton area. Local groups are exploding with comments. I'm seeing some interesting feedback on the way the announcement was handled, i.e., not giving Hamilton council much of a heads up about it, and Caroline Mulroney leaving via the back door after cancelling the announcement and leaving the mayor to confirm it. Apparently Mulroney's staff also called the police after two councillors insisted on being part of the media briefing.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there might be an opportunity here for the Feds to save the project.
In a minority government environment, the liberals could be tempted to come a save the day.

They committed to Montreal's Pink Line while the Quebec provincial government had bo time for it.

Now, it will depend on how bad Hamilton City council is willing to fight for it and somehow I'm not sure they'll be as relentless as Montreal

^ Isn't part of the challenge though the way the federal program is designed where they allocated money and the province/cities decide how/what to spend it on? MP Adam Vaughan has said that in the past.

The task force could come back with a bunch of small projects that accomplish very little and make the Conservatives look good or it just delays anything from happening for years.

Back