Toronto 545 Lake Shore West | 72.75m | 21s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Man, you just know this is going to suck
Im not a fan of Canderel and G+C but i don't mind what's proposed, it's not any worse than what's down there

The commercial portion of the development is proposed as 4,604 m² of Market Hall style retail on the ground floor of both the Crosse & Blackwell Building and the newly built podium, while 12,885 m² of offices occupy the second, third, and fourth floors of the podium. The retail would be located around a grand atrium space with an industrial design focus.... http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/11/mixed-use-canderel-proposal-lake-shore-and-bathurst-evolves

I'd say it would suck more to see this building sit empty for decades and deteriorate, similar to what happened to the Loblaws structure across the street

1576181695664.png

View attachment 219907

It speaks to nothing, no relationship to the heritage facade; neither compatible/cohesive; nor intelligent contrast.

Remove the heritage facade, and its just a free-standing ugly building all on its own.

Sigh.

View attachment 219907

Our waterfront just can’t seem to catch a break from bad developers. What the hell.

From an architectural standpoint, our waterfront is a world class joke and this development just further solidifies that point.

I too criticize the lack of ambition in the public realm design and contemporary architecture, but “world class joke” is intense hyperbole. Most international visitors I bring down to the waterfront think it’s really very nice, and the mature stretches of it are among the most lively places in the city on a nice summer day.

That said, let’s please throw Canderel and G+C out of the city forever.

Blow the whole thing as it's a lost cause in this city. My first look said what the hell is this thing as it's down rightful sickly.

I have a hard time justifying the existing building as heritage, sorry to say. Far more better looking buildings saw the wreaking ball over the decades than this one

We have destroy our waterfront in the name of greed and lack of thinking inside the box, let alone outside of it. Then, our waterfront is in the lake in the first place by at least 1500 feet from the original shore line.

An another joker building to the pile of others that is the current trend.

I too criticize the lack of ambition in the public realm design and contemporary architecture, but “world class joke” is intense hyperbole. Most international visitors I bring down to the waterfront think it’s really very nice, and the mature stretches of it are among the most lively places in the city on a nice summer day.

That said, let’s please throw Canderel and G+C out of the city forever.
To each their own, but in my eyes out waterfront is a world class embarrassment from both a design and architectural view. Queens Quay is West is a messed up realm, the buildings that line it are a bigger joke on their own, and the way 80-90% of the buildings meet the street make it seem like pedestrians are uninvited. Obviously there are some small saving graces (ie: H20 Beach, Sugar Beach, and Harbourfront Centre) but there really isnt much of anything that stands out along the whole western stretch. Queens Quay East might be our saving grace if the city manages not to botch that one up either. People love to be around the water by nature, and I can point to dozens of areas along Toronto's waterfront that are very busy during the summer. Naturally there are going to be more people around the downtown stretch because it's denser.

You dont even have to compare Toronto to the so called "world-class cities" to see the issues with our waterfront. Vancouver, San Francisco, Miami, and Chicago are just North American examples of waterfronts done better than Toronto. What we're just doing in this city is wasting prime real estate with countless clunkers littered all over the waterfront.

I'll agree with you on one thing though, Canderel should be banned from touching our waterfront while G+C should be exiled for eternity.

I agree. Our waterfront is hot garbage. People get mad because maybe we could excuse the existing waterfront from years because Toronto quickly grew up from small town to “world class”. We were given another opportunity to right our wrongs and we are failing again! Thats what makes it even more frustrating.

Look at this pathetic garbage.

Canderel and G+C GTFO!

Back