News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 496     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Paradise Theatre (1006 Bloor St W, Tawse, restoration, ERA Architects)

Bar Biltmore opened yesterday, on Saturday, January 11th. While Osteria Rialto opens on Tuesday, January 14th:

From an email:

Osteria Rialto + Bar Biltmore

We're delighted to announce that full-service Italian restaurant Osteria Rialto and aperitivo-focused cocktail bar Bar Biltmore are opening this week!

Osteria Rialto opens on Tuesday, January 14. Reservations are now open. The new restaurant from Basilio Pesce (Porzia, La Banane, Canoe), Osteria Rialto serves thoughtful, ingredient-focused dishes that innovate on classic Italian cuisine. Follow Osteria Rialto on Instagram.

Bar Biltmore opens on Saturday, January 11. Enjoy our intriguing menu of spritzes, sours and negronis, alongside small bites and dishes from the raw bar. Follow Bar Biltmore on Instagram.

I must say, I very much sympathize w/the Paradise and indy cinemas writ-large; and abhor anti-competitive practises.

Yet, I feel marginally mixed. Cineplex gives very little time to foreign, indy or classic films.

Meaning there is a lot room to develop a niche market, at least in a City the size of Toronto, by offering what Cineplex won't.

I happen to prefer non-hollywood product by and large.

I like films that let me see the world through someone else's eyes.

Transport me to a different place (where not everyone speaks English......)

Or simply allow the shades of grey in life to show through by not neatly tying a bow on the end of a film; instead leaving the ending murky and inconclusive, the way life often is............

To illustrate, I just saw a Canadian film, Nose-to-Tail.

It's about a top-tier chef, whose restaurant is full, but failing.

It's set in Toronto.

The principle character isn't very likeable. Yet, one comes to find a certain sympathy seeing how he sees the world.

How frustrating he finds everyone and everything else; which is largely the way the world sees him.

It's the type of film Hollywood would never give the time of day; and neither did Cineplex.

The latter should loosen its artificial power-grip on local screens.

But the indys should also show some ambition; just repeating what Cineplex offers is not really the answer for them, or so I hope.

Paradise Theatre to host virtual screenings of first-run movies

The Bloor West cinema is among the local theatres teaming with arthouse distributors to stay in business during the province-wide shutdown of movie houses

BY KEVIN RITCHIE
MARCH 27, 2020

The Paradise are offering free short films, along with other virtual entertainment and lifestyle resources during this time:

The Social Distancing Weekly: March 29, 2020

Posted by Sonya • Sunday, March 29, 2020

Welcome to The Social Distancing Weekly

Here's a nice thought: We're doing this for each other. All the staying home, closing up shop, risk-taking and sacrifice—it's for the common goal of keeping each other safe and healthy.

We honour that, and every week we'll be back with more:
  • Movies at home
  • Tools for your personal projects
  • Virtual tourism
  • Resources on health
  • Community and kindness

Pay It Forward with Virtual Paradise Theatre

Posted by Sonya • Friday, April 10, 2020

Support front-line workers with a ticket purchase on Virtual Paradise Theatre. For every ticket sold (via online streaming), Paradise will donate two tickets to front-line workers for use when the theatre has re-opened.

“When the necessity of social distancing comes to a close, Paradise will have what we’ve been missing: the opportunity to enjoy the company of others, delighting in a shared experience, outside of work. And who deserves that more than the people on the front lines of today's crisis? We’re excited to give back to those working so hard to protect Torontonians by treating them to a great night out,” says Sonya William, Director of Communications at Paradise.

Inspired by Jam Jar Cinema’s Local Heroes campaign, this is an opportunity to "pay it forward" with Virtual Paradise Theatre.

Progress of the renovation of its neighbouring buildings to the west:

Sept 3, 2020

20200903_175719.jpg
20200903_175736.jpg

Back