Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Here's what I mean illustrated:

R5ywOSn.png

I suspect that they will cut back the Royal Orchard stop. To be honest, they should also cancel the Langstaff stop as like they 407 stop a colossal waste of money. The RHC stop is close enough to the new proposed development. Trimming this to 4 stops (Cummer, Steele’s, Clark and RHC) would be sufficient for now. Metrolinx can rough in Langstaff and Royal York if desired but I doubt there is much demand there to justify the stops now.
You forgot Centre. There's no justifiable way to go over 4 kilometres without an intermediate stop from Clark to RHC.

And instead of both Royal Orchard and Langstaff, just rough in one single future stop at Bay Thorn and call it a day. That'd serve both catchments well.
The Langstaff station being at Langstaff itself is vitally important. The area between the 407 and the cemetery is going to have upwards of 30,000 residents and 15,000 jobs in an area with very limited road access. That's not including the development north of the 407. The RHC station is almost a kilometre from Langstaff station and a pretty decent distance from much of that development, on the other side of a significant barrier in the form of the 407.

This has all been said before but:
-Royal Orchard is currently cut. What Markham is trying to do is get it back.
As to WHY... it would encourage development at that corner (hence the current development application). Markham is trying to squeeze out every last economic development dime by getting more development there. I don't necessarily blame them but I find the study they commissioned, showing Royal Orchard can actually achieve MTSA-level densities to be suspicious. I kind of get it on principle, but I still don't think it's worth putting a station there.

-They will never cut Langstaff.
a) there is ZERO parking at RHC. It will function much like how VMC has no TTC parking but 407 station does.
b) The RHC station is way too far to adequately serve most of the Langtaff development, particularly in that west section, near Yonge

There has been some discussion of this in the past, but given the City and Province moving ahead with an extension of the existing subway to Richmond Hill, it is critical that a real relief subway be constructed in the Yonge Street corridor. If not, the additional ridership from continual development, 905 riders, and the connection of the Eglinton Crosstown will make the current subway dysfunctional. It will also lead to dangerous overcrowding on the platforms.

As a tunnelling engineer, I looked at how we could build an express subway on Yonge street in parallel to the existing line. The answer is surprisingly simple. We select the work sites and new stations at locations were the existing subway is not within the Yonge Street right-of-way - at Lakeshore Blvd., at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (south of Davisville), at York Mills Rd. and at Steeles Avenue. North of Steeles Avenue, the new subway would function as a local subway and connect with all the major streets - John, Hwy 7, 16th, Major Mac. etc.

My proposal does not connect to the Bloor-Danforth, Crosstown, or Sheppard subways because these connections would be very difficult and expensive to build and they are not necessary so long as there is reasonable connectivity between the old and new lines as there would be Downtown, at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, and at York Mills Road. The tunnel lengths I am proposing of 5-6 km. are doable and because of the long drive lengths the cost will be less than the Crosstown.

The only real risk in the new subway construction is tunnelling directly under the live existing subway. South of Bloor St., the new tunnel would be deep and all in shale bedrock so the risk is minimal. North of Eglinton Ave. to Hoggs Hollow and again from south of Hwy 401 to Finch Ave., the new tunnel would be well below the existing subway structure ameliorating the risk. Careful mining techniques are required and modern tunnel boring machines are capable of dealing with varying geotechnical conditions that would be encountered. I have run the new tunnel profile from Lakeshore Blvd. to Steeles Ave. and the available tunnel window looks good.

I am now trying to get the TTC, the City, and the Province to look at this concept seriously. Below is an extract from my preliminary study. More detail on the website https://undergroundconsulting.ca/

I would appreciate some feedback.

Yonge Street Express Subway - Downtown Toronto to Richmond Hill

Preliminary Plan and Construction Feasibility
  • Main Features
  • 26 kilometres of all new subway line from Yonge St. at Lake Shore Blvd. to Major MacKenzie Dr. in Richmond Hill
  • Twinning of the existing subway on Yonge St. will provide real congestion relief and redundancy for the existing line
  • The latest operating technology can be used for the new Express line without being incumbered by existing outdated signaling and driver operation. It could be full subway or LRT style.
  • All new tunnel construction is within existing right-of-ways – no property is required
  • There is minimal impact on residents and businesses for such a major project
  • Connections with the existing subway provided at Downtown, Davisville and York Mills Stations
  • There is potential for an extension to Toronto Islands

Attachments

• Yonge Street Express Subway - UCI Concept.jpg
    Yonge Street Express Subway - UCI Concept.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 384
There has been some discussion of this in the past, but given the City and Province moving ahead with an extension of the existing subway to Richmond Hill, it is critical that a real relief subway be constructed in the Yonge Street corridor. If not, the additional ridership from continual development, 905 riders, and the connection of the Eglinton Crosstown will make the current subway dysfunctional. It will also lead to dangerous overcrowding on the platforms.

As a tunnelling engineer, I looked at how we could build an express subway on Yonge street in parallel to the existing line. The answer is surprisingly simple. We select the work sites and new stations at locations were the existing subway is not within the Yonge Street right-of-way - at Lakeshore Blvd., at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (south of Davisville), at York Mills Rd. and at Steeles Avenue. North of Steeles Avenue, the new subway would function as a local subway and connect with all the major streets - John, Hwy 7, 16th, Major Mac. etc.

My proposal does not connect to the Bloor-Danforth, Crosstown, or Sheppard subways because these connections would be very difficult and expensive to build and they are not necessary so long as there is reasonable connectivity between the old and new lines as there would be Downtown, at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, and at York Mills Road. The tunnel lengths I am proposing of 5-6 km. are doable and because of the long drive lengths the cost will be less than the Crosstown.

The only real risk in the new subway construction is tunnelling directly under the live existing subway. South of Bloor St., the new tunnel would be deep and all in shale bedrock so the risk is minimal. North of Eglinton Ave. to Hoggs Hollow and again from south of Hwy 401 to Finch Ave., the new tunnel would be well below the existing subway structure ameliorating the risk. Careful mining techniques are required and modern tunnel boring machines are capable of dealing with varying geotechnical conditions that would be encountered. I have run the new tunnel profile from Lakeshore Blvd. to Steeles Ave. and the available tunnel window looks good.

I am now trying to get the TTC, the City, and the Province to look at this concept seriously. Below is an extract from my preliminary study. More detail on the website https://undergroundconsulting.ca/

• Main Features
  • 26 kilometres of all new subway line from Yonge St. at Lake Shore Blvd. to Major MacKenzie Dr. in Richmond Hill
  • Twinning of the existing subway on Yonge St. will provide real congestion relief and redundancy for the existing line
  • The latest operating technology can be used for the new Express line without being incumbered by existing outdated signaling and driver operation. It could be full subway or LRT style.
  • All new tunnel construction is within existing right-of-ways – no property is required
  • Connections with the existing subway provided at Downtown, Davisville and York Mills Stations

That's a very interesting concept, I never thought about this kind of solution before.

However, do you think it may be useful to route the downtown section of the new subway under Bay Street, rather than under Yonge and the existing subway? The Bay Street section would not need to be very deep, allowing multiple stations and thus a better access to destinations in downtown.

• Main Features

Here are my thoughts:

1) All stations should have a local service. So, north of Finch, should have local service to stations south of Finch.

2) Stations on this express line should be stations that interchange with other lines: Union - Queen - College - Bloor - North Toronto (roughed in) - St Clair - Eglingon - Sheppard - Richmond Hill. More than that and it won't be much of an express.

3) Get rid of the idea of LRT. The cars do not hold enough people. If anything, figure out if there are double decker cars that could be used.

4) Should be set up as a driverless system.

Here are my thoughts:

1) All stations should have a local service. So, north of Finch, should have local service to stations south of Finch.

2) Stations on this express line should be stations that interchange with other lines: Union - Queen - College - Bloor - North Toronto (roughed in) - St Clair - Eglingon - Sheppard - Richmond Hill. More than that and it won't be much of an express.

3) Get rid of the idea of LRT. The cars do not hold enough people. If anything, figure out if there are double decker cars that could be used.

4) Should be set up as a driverless system.
5) The stations on the new line should be Spanish solution to help with the flow of commuters boarding and alighting trains.

That's a very interesting concept, I never thought about this kind of solution before.

However, do you think it may be useful to route the downtown section of the new subway under Bay Street, rather than under Yonge and the existing subway? The Bay Street section would not need to be very deep, allowing multiple stations and thus a better access to destinations in downtown.

I have always thought a Bay - Avenue - Bathurst line would be a better relief line for Yonge.

I see you're not following the discussion in the other thread. All the traffic from Spadina Line north of Bloor could be redirected elsewhere. Yonge-University becomes it's own line.

So, you want to split line 1 into 2 different lines?
Do I need to tell you how flawed that is, or would you rather link me the forum and I help all of you learn?

I have always thought a Bay - Avenue - Bathurst line would be a better relief line for Yonge.
Agree. Power outage. Homicide. Noxious substance. Flooding. All would take both Yonge Lines out of service.
5) The stations on the new line should be Spanish solution to help with the flow of commuters boarding and alighting trains.
Ay caramba

So, you want to split line 1 into 2 different lines?
Do I need to tell you how flawed that is, or would you rather link me the forum and I help all of you learn?
This involves me too.

Back