Toronto Q Tower | 197.4m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Where did the 45 and 55 stories numbers come from? Is that what the site is currently zoned for, or would the developer need to go through rezoning, and if so, how does Canada Lands know they will get it? I'm just thinking that if they need to improve the financial viability of a development, could they work with the City to permit more height? Why not 65 and 75 stories?
Those numbers would have come from their planning consultant, telling them what could reasonably be expected to be approved by City Council based on applying the various regulations that cover such developments, such as the Tall Buildings Guidelines.

I disagree. The sentiment that affordable housing should be available in every neighbourhood is a good one. It promotes social cohesion by allowing people of different socioeconomic backgrounds to interact more often. It also promotes class mobility by allowing people who are less well off to learn things from successful people by seeing them more often and having opportunities to interact with them.

Sounds great. Now, where do the people occupying those affordable units shop for groceries? The local Whole Foods or Longos? All neighbourhoods might benefit from having affordable housing included in their housing stock, but not all neighbourhoods are "equal" in terms of access to shopping and retail, and that could be detrimental to the intended end-user. It is why the loss of retail is as much of a concern regarding gentrification in a neighbourhood as the loss of rental units.

Now, this location actually has a Rabba's and a Hasty Market nearby, so it may well end up working here, but I am skeptical that a one-size-fits-all approach is the answer generally. I think if I was at the AHO, I would have preferred the cash contribution over the affordable units.

Sounds great. Now, where do the people occupying those affordable units shop for groceries? The local Whole Foods or Longos? All neighbourhoods might benefit from having affordable housing included in their housing stock, but not all neighbourhoods are "equal" in terms of access to shopping and retail, and that could be detrimental to the intended end-user. It is why the loss of retail is as much of a concern regarding gentrification in a neighbourhood as the loss of rental units.

Now, this location actually has a Rabba's and a Hasty Market nearby, so it may well end up working here, but I am skeptical that a one-size-fits-all approach is the answer generally. I think if I was at the AHO, I would have preferred the cash contribution over the affordable units.

The downtown core's transit is great. They can shop in Chinatown, Kensington Market, the No Frills on Front Street, and the affordable grocery chains in St. James Town. They can also use a car share or bike share service to reach stores outside of the downtown core. If there's demand, then more affordable options will probably open nearby, too.

There is a ~30,000 SF Coppa's "Market 63" on the second floor of 1 York, steps away. Although the retail in that building is a disaster, this store is quite nice, large (full deli, butcher, produce section, fish, etc.) and easy to access from outside. I think almost no-one knows about it. I stumbled across it while looking for a bathroom.

There is a ~30,000 SF Coppa's "Market 63" on the second floor of 1 York, steps away. Although the retail in that building is a disaster, this store is quite nice, large (full deli, butcher, produce section, fish, etc.) and easy to access from outside. I think almost no-one knows about it. I stumbled across it while looking for a bathroom.

The Coppas is very nice with a range of more unusual (to me anyway) brands BUT it is not cheap!

The Coppas is very nice with a range of more unusual (to me anyway) brands BUT it is not cheap!

I think that store (Coppas) is very poorly executed.

Last time I was in there all the buns/rolls were labelled 'buns'

The dessert case was mostly unlabelled and unpriced.

For a store clearly aiming at the high end of market; it's missing a lot of high end brands.

The salad pack selection is poor.

The hot bar selection is again lacking in labels/prices; staff don't seem to know their product (just trying asking "What's in that"? )

They don't know how to 'sell' stuff, displays are poorly thought out, not enough samples and far too much staff indifference.

I'd be surprised if they make it.

DB352B50-B180-42F0-B84E-444433524BB5.jpeg

I hope they build some kind of a tall icon looking building like the CIBC structure that being built down the road from here. That would compliment the CN Tower corridor area!

Back