Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

How dare them to destroy a building like this. Where is Heritage Toronto and Kristyn Wong-Tam ( I know it's not her riding, but who is better to make preservation noise) ?
This building is a typical representation of <fill-the-years> architecture. In 50 years, our grand-children ask 'how Toronto looked in the years past' - and what we would be able to show aside old UT photographs.
Buddy, pretty sure they're being sarcastic…
For a not-architecturally distinguished, mid-twentieth centrury car dealership and servicing garage, I would certainly hope so. I would hate to think otherwise, that they were in fact serious.

Dec 13, 2019

DSC05674.JPG

fullsizeoutput_32df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32de.jpeg

Then add on the south-east corner of King and Spadina, the old MEC building site, a portion of restaurant row ...

this stretch of King is going to be quite desolate for the next few years. Going to feel very different.

Yup. I live across the street. Five years of construction. This sucks. It’ll be great once done but I’m losing a big part of what has made my neighbourhood great, for half a decade.

It’ll be amazing for the neighbourhood once it’s completed but I don’t think I’ll be living here when it’s finished.

I know I feel bad about it too as I also live in the neighborhood.

Luckily we have some new restaurant additions at King Portland Center and anything West of Portland we have the new Restaurant replacing Portland Variety and Wheat Sheaf is coming back this year!. The Well on Wellington should be coming in 2022

Out with the Addisons, in with the construction trailers.

View attachment 223474

My grumblings about how long this is going to disrupt my neighbourhood aside, I'm pretty impressed with how fast this went from concept to construction activity. Hopefully they'll surprise me with the quality of construction hoarding. Using it to display art would help ease the effect on the neighbourhood.

Perhaps, in keeping with the theme of KING, they could install a long green wall with a double height canopy rather than the dark, cramped construction hoardings we see all over Toronto.

DTHaSKDW4AAQhut.jpg

Westbank, if you're reading, make it happen. Signed, King Street residents weary of 5 years of construction.

If anything close to the renderings happens... I will eat my mattress.

lol I know right? The renderings are incredible but I just can't see it actually turning out like that. I really hope I'm being pessimistic and will be proven wrong.

Back