Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

1575474909209.png

Oh man. Will construction ever end at Union Station. Ever since I started working in downtown Union Station has been under construction

Has there been any update as to when the glass atrium will be illuminated? Is that still happening?

Also, any update as to when they install the public art in the moat?

From Attachment 1:

1575511754075.png

Are those platform roof extensions at both ends? They look VERY extensive - more than double that of the existing shed for some tracks. Intended for track splitting perhaps?

AoD

Are those platform roof extensions at both ends? They look VERY extensive - more than double that of the existing shed for some tracks. Intended for track splitting perhaps?

AoD

Run Lakeshore RER on the through platform in the new south concourse, and dead-end nearly everything else.

There's room for a concourse down there at the south end? More stuff! Send it.

I already forgot about the Bay Concourse and they're adding another one? As someone who's been hanging out at Union for the last 15 years, I'm pretty stoked about all this new stuff. It's so much better, even without more than doubling it with a South and Bay Concourse.

What was I even doing there back in '04?! The place was bunk.

From Attachment 1:

View attachment 218517

AoD

Isn't that for the "double birthing" ie two trains on one track GO has talked about in the past? maybe this is the first time we've publicly seen an indication on how it will work, even if it's at a very high level. cc @smallspy @crs1026

Isn't that for the "double birthing" ie two trains on one track GO has talked about in the past? maybe this is the first time we've publicly seen an indication on how it will work, even if it's at a very high level. cc @smallspy @crs1026

it is going to suck without some major work on platform access at the extended ends and even then (considering that the riders will be approaching the station from the core head house area)

AoD

I don’t have a definitive source on that question, but it’s certainly the first thought that popped into my head when I saw the renders.

It’s always hard interpreting artwork - the artist will have been given direction to portray certain design features, but may have little technical depth to fill in the rest - the things we spot may be fiction.

Other details/questions that struck me when I saw these documents: The layout limits boarding to single sided, albeit from wider platforms. I wonder how that will mesh with crush loads. (Of course, the bilevels’ narrow interior stairs pretty much prevent simultaneous on and off passenger flows anyways) The platforms have bright yellow edges, which I suspect speaks to level- entry to a fleet of Bombardier bilevels (ie no plans to move to single level EMU stock). It’s apparent which platforms VIA retains - as they are the long ones in the middle, perhaps VIA will be double berthing too (they already are, in effect).

Lastly, if one assumes that RER will run through, it’s not clear if there is new thinking on which track pairs fit which routes. Will LSE/LSW utilise the new platforms on the south side in both directions? What’s at issue is how the ladders at each end of the depot will be transformed and used. Some earlier studies suuggested Union should end up looking like a collection of 2-track subway-like stations rather than one terminal.

- Paul

Last edited:
Lastly, if one assumes that RER will run through, it’s not clear if there is new thinking on which track pairs fit which routes. Will LSE/LSW utilise the new platforms on the south side in both directions? What’s at issue is how the ladders at each end of the depot will be transformed and used. Some earlier studies suuggested Union should end up looking like a collection of 2-track subway-like stations rather than one terminal.

- Paul

This was one of the things I really appreciated while travelling in Japan. Even at a super busy station like Tokyo or Osaka, each of the JR lines had a consistent set of platforms they used. Such a setup allows for more precise wayfinding, with each platform number also having a route and direction below it. This is in stark contrast to Union, where you have to check the display board to figure out which end of the station you need to walk to this time.

This was one of the things I really appreciated while travelling in Japan. Even at a super busy station like Tokyo or Osaka, each of the JR lines had a consistent set of platforms they used. Such a setup allows for more precise wayfinding, with each platform number also having a route and direction below it. This is in stark contrast to Union, where you have to check the display board to figure out which end of the station you need to walk to this time.
I find Metrolinx is usually pretty consistent with which platforms and bays are used for each train line and bus.

When there is a platform change, they typically announce it well in advance too.

I find Metrolinx is usually pretty consistent with which platforms and bays are used for each train line and bus.

When there is a platform change, they typically announce it well in advance too.

At Union Station, this is absolutely the case. In fact, changes have to be orchestrated well in advance, in order to inform the RTCs at CN and Train Movement Managers in the towers of the USRC. Trains use the same platform every day for months and months on end.

But they will only announce what platform that a train is departing 10 minutes to it actually doing so in order to try and keep as many people downstairs - and off of the platforms. But those people who take the same train day in and day out know exactly where to be and are on the platform prior to their train.

Dan

Indeed. The last stouffville train every night is either on 27 or 13. Like clockwork.

Back