News   Apr 23, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 621     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

We all thought you knew everything, drum, because that’s the attitude you typically show when posting here.
I think you have me mistaken for someone else. Me know everything is a joke

QUICK FACTS
  • Once completed, the expanded highway will include:
    • 12 lane core-collector system from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard.
    • 10 lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange.
    • 12 lane core-collector system from Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange to James Snow Parkway.
    • 10 lanes from James Snow Parkway to RR 25.

Hard to imagine the core/express system going so far outside the GTA's continuous urban area.

Milton is essentially part of the contiguous urban area these days, and will actually be completely urbanized to the Mississauga border in about 20 years. It isn't that much of a stretch.

What will be weird is when the 401 is 10 lanes all the way to Waterloo, and when the 400 is 10 lanes to Barrie. Those will be some huge regional highways.

The king of regional highways is I-95 from NYC to Philidelphia though. 12 lane collector-express for 120km.

I thought I-95 was broken between NYC and Philadelphia.
The gap was previously in the inner suburbs of Philly as there was a missing interchange, but the ramps connecting it finally opened a year or two ago meaning that I-95 is now continuous. That isn't the stretch I'm talking about though, at that point I-95 is a smaller highway. The New Jersey Turnpike from what was I-276 (now I-95 because of the aforementioned ramps) in Philly to I-80 just west of the Hudson River is a 12 lane collector express system, a distance of about 120km.

It used to be much shorter, but The New Jersey Turnpike Authority widened a good stretch a few years ago, making it longer than the 401 collector/express system by a significant margin.

The 401 still beats it on width though, as most of the 401 is at least 14 lanes, and goes up to 18.

Milton is essentially part of the contiguous urban area these days, and will actually be completely urbanized to the Mississauga border in about 20 years. It isn't that much of a stretch.

What will be weird is when the 401 is 10 lanes all the way to Waterloo, and when the 400 is 10 lanes to Barrie. Those will be some huge regional highways.

The king of regional highways is I-95 from NYC to Philidelphia though. 12 lane collector-express for 120km.
Is there no gap between the recently widened section in KW and this 18 km widening? I thought we still would have a good distance with 6 lanes in between these two sections.

The gap will go from exit 282 (Hespeler) - exit 320 (25).

Pending Dumpster Fire, the stretch from Hespeler to Townline road (286) was supposed to be widened next.

That's a 38 km gap. If it took them so long to widen the highway in Mississauga just beyond Hurontario (and it's crazy busy there), I don't think we will see 10-laning of that gap for many decades.

If Hespeler - Townline and Highway 6 North to Highway 6 south gets done, that will leave about 30 km. Both those projects are targeted to be started in the short term.

If they issue a giant contract or two (like Mississauga - Milton widening) for the remaining parts, they can get it done in a few years. But yes, I wouldn't expect all these contracts to be completed for at least another 10 years.

Back