News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 985     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I'm not sure what's actually happening. What is described above is build new bridge east of existing. flip traffic to new bridge. demolish existing bridge. build new west half of bridge. What the two half bridges are tied together or left with a 50mm gap depends on their width. Likely if 2 lane bridges then tied together. If 3 lanes or wide multi use path, then separate. :

View attachment 215840
The last I heard, the road was to be 4 lanes in place of 2. Not sure if bike lanes are plan for the road. For some reason, I was thinking it was a underpass, not an overpass. Otherwise, traffic will continue to use it during all phases. Hard to say if that one bridge or 2, but most likely 2 by stage 2 looks.

Given the fact I don't use the 401 in this area much, really don't look at it in the first place when I do. Can't recall the last time I use Creditview over the 401.

The last I heard, the road was to be 4 lanes in place of 2. Not sure if bike lanes are plan for the road. For some reason, I was thinking it was a underpass, not an overpass. Otherwise, traffic will continue to use it during all phases. Hard to say if that one bridge or 2, but most likely 2 by stage 2 looks.

Given the fact I don't use the 401 in this area much, really don't look at it in the first place when I do. Can't recall the last time I use Creditview over the 401.

A multi-use path makes a lot of sense, as it follows the Credit River closely around there. I'd also love to see a safe crossing of Highway 407 between Financial Drive and Mavis Road for cyclists, perhaps parallel to the OBRY line (or on the ROW if Orangeville shuts it down), with a connection to old Creditview Road in Churchville.

A multi-use path makes a lot of sense, as it follows the Credit River closely around there. I'd also love to see a safe crossing of Highway 407 between Financial Drive and Mavis Road for cyclists, perhaps parallel to the OBRY line (or on the ROW if Orangeville shuts it down), with a connection to old Creditview Road in Churchville.
Having a multi-use path by the Credit River would be a good thing to see, but I think the 2nd Line bridge over the 401 will be push by the City. Never know what will happen until construction starts. Don't expect all of the OBRY line shutting down, especially south of the 407.

So this would be different than the McLaughlin Road over 401 replacement, where the road was completely closed for a year.

However, if the Designer/Contractor can succeed in arguing it is too difficult to maintain traffic on Creditview while building the new bridge then it is possible Creditview over 401 may be closed for a year.

Creditview isn't that busy by the 401, compared to McLaughlin. Closing it shouldn't be be that big a deal as it was for McLaughlin.

This was just posted in my office Friday. Creditview northbound will be closed as of Dec 3 for 401 expansion

Attachments

• Creditview Construction.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 492
This was just posted in my office Friday. Creditview northbound will be closed as of Dec 3 for 401 expansion
Good thing I photograph the area on Sat..

The exist bridge in poor shape, especially the handrail and will become the southbound lanes when rebuilt. No room for sidewalk there at this time. Can't built west of the current location as there are lots of hydro wires there. Lots of room to build on the east side as its well away from the Port Credit river. Saw not markings for the new northbound lane bridge. It will be a 4 lane bridge with sidewalks and most likely bike lanes.

Work is taking place between Creditview and the RR for the new westbound collector lanes with grading for the base in place and most likely be use to build the foundation to go over the RR track first before building on the base to raise the area for the new lanes to get over the RR corridor.

The bridge in place for the Cooksville Creek, but need the centre and the other 2 barriers retraining walls pour. Just west of the bridge to where the express lanes ends, concrete roads for the express lanes pour including the centre barrier retaining wall.

From 2nd Line to McLaughlin, both express lanes have concrete lanes. Getting ready to start work on the centre barrier retaining wall as well continue placing the new light mass towers. Some real large areas for the shoulder and most likely for transfer lanes areas.

The 2nd Line bridge has 99% of the handrail in place, but needs a ramp from it to the new path for it. New streetlights installed for the path.

Why does the new express/collector lanes need to be concrete?
What's the point of having a few km of highway in concrete and the remaining 800 km asphalt?
Without this, the express lanes would have been open last year.

Why does the new express/collector lanes need to be concrete?
What's the point of having a few km of highway in concrete and the remaining 800 km asphalt?
Without this, the express lanes would have been open last year.
I'm not certain, but I believe that MTO allows the Contractor to choose between concrete or asphalt. It was thought to be a way to have the two industries compete against each other to keep prices down.

Highways were at one time asphalt, as it was cheaper to build the roads as well faster. Trucks and vehicles weren't heavy compare today as well being shorter for trucks. Today trucks are longer and heavier to the point the asphalt are failing a lot sooner and require more maintenance.

Over the last 20 years, concrete is replacing the asphalt, if not longer as it stands up to the heavier trucks as well more traffic on the road. More so in the US. The equipment to build roads today can lay 3 lanes at the same time and a lot better than the past.

Its like the railways where freight cars can carrier more weight than the 50-70's, let alone early 1900. Rails were only 75-100 lb back then, compare to 133 today.

News Release
Construction Begins on Highway 401 Expansion from Mississauga to Milton
November 29, 2019
Government reducing congestion and improving quality of life for workers, families and businesses
MISSISSAUGA — Ontario's government is making life easier for drivers by widening 18 kilometres of Highway 401 from Mississauga to Milton.

Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation, announced that the province is putting people first by investing $640 million to widen Highway 401, which will shorten commute times and encourage investment and job creation.

"Our government is committed to strengthening Ontario's highway network and making Ontario open for business," said Associate Minister Surma. "This crucial expansion of Highway 401 means that thousands of Ontarians will spend less time in traffic and more time on the things that matter to them - being with family, friends or at work."

The project will widen 18 kilometres of highway from the Credit River in Mississauga to Regional Road 25 in Milton and includes reconstruction of bridges as well as upgrades to support facilities and features. Construction is underway and drivers can expect to use the expanded highway by 2022. Widening the highway will reduce congestion and improve quality of life for workers, families and businesses in Ontario.
QUICK FACTS
  • Once completed, the expanded highway will include:
    • 12 lane core-collector system from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard.
    • 10 lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange.
    • 12 lane core-collector system from Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange to James Snow Parkway.
    • 10 lanes from James Snow Parkway to RR 25.
    • Median High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.
    • New or improved support facilities and features, such as drainage, lighting, signage and carpool lots.
  • The project is being delivered through Infrastructure Ontario’s design, build and finance Public-Private Partnership model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
  • West Corridor Constructors was awarded the contract to design, build and finance the Highway 401 Expansion project.
  • Approximately 250,000 vehicles travel on Highway 401 in the Peel and Halton regions on a daily basis.

I'm most excited by the quick timeline here, only 3 construction seasons. Most other MTO projects as of late have absolutely dragged on. The 400 widening, which is a lot simpler than this, is taking 5 construction seasons to complete. I believe the 404 widening is similar.

I'm confused, there's been construction going on in this section of the 401 for a while now, why is the newsrelease saying "construction begins"? Some sections look almost finished in concrete.

I'm confused, there's been construction going on in this section of the 401 for a while now, why is the newsrelease saying "construction begins"? Some sections look almost finished in concrete.
It been done in phases with one nearing completion while another is/about starting. The section between Credit River and Hurontario will be completed in early 2020. The Next Phase is only 18 km

The thread covers a very long section where some is seeing work while others seeing none. Some is P3 while other are straight contract. The straight contract is to speed things up before the P3 take over.

Nov 23
More up on site
Hurontario To Credit River
49145069986_4eb60e74c9_b.jpg

49145268802_613b78d6ef_b.jpg

49144574208_6d2281334a_b.jpg

49145269787_986a9c5e5c_b.jpg

49145067161_0e54ec7627_b.jpg

49145266192_6d3e701b81_b.jpg

49145065291_4df61a66da_b.jpg

49145105316_e76e049bbd_b.jpg

Creditview
49144838358_c6772a5d6d_b.jpg

49145331181_959f2230e1_b.jpg

49144837238_49d4af47f2_b.jpg

49145329736_d323fe3c00_b.jpg

49144835608_5261287f92_b.jpg

49145328806_eb726a9d71_b.jpg

49145529317_57088d9932_b.jpg

49145529462_16526f66c2_b.jpg

It been done in phases with one nearing completion while another is/about starting. The section between Credit River and Hurontario will be completed in early 2020. The Next Phase is only 18 km

The thread covers a very long section where some is seeing work while others seeing none. Some is P3 while other are straight contract. The straight contract is to speed things up before the P3 take over.

Thanks for the reply. What's the estimated completion time of all the work?

Back