News   Apr 23, 2024
 177     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 914     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 294     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
I did like the idea to have a new express ROW under the gardiner, but that was killed by the Bentway.
View attachment 204466

View attachment 204467

Something like this is what I was into years ago for the east. Before a final decision about the Gardiner, wanted to see an EBF LRT use the former Gardiner ROW for an elevated streetcar to Villiers Island. Fast, reliable, higher capacity (but still an Outlook streetcar).

Last edited:
Does the city / province agreement on transit make the Waterfront LRT more likely?
Sort of considering that the city doesn't have to pay for anything. They have an extra 5 million to fund the Waterfront LRT, the Eglinton East LRT or just upgrading the system. Though John Tory hasn't announced what he will do with that money so we'll see.

Sort of considering that the city doesn't have to pay for anything. They have an extra 5 million to fund the Waterfront LRT, the Eglinton East LRT or just upgrading the system. Though John Tory hasn't announced what he will do with that money so we'll see.
According to several recent press reports, one of the Google conditions for moving forward on Sidewalk is to have a QQE LRT. Also, the City forced the developers of the CIBC Centre to add a space in their basement for an extension of the streetcar tunnel (at large cost) and many developers of properties along QQE were promised the LRT years ago. The plan and EAs for the QQE LRT are pretty much "done' and what is missing are the $$. The latest money MAY solve that problem ......

According to several recent press reports, one of the Google conditions for moving forward on Sidewalk is to have a QQE LRT. Also, the City forced the developers of the CIBC Centre to add a space in their basement for an extension of the streetcar tunnel (at large cost) and many developers of properties along QQE were promised the LRT years ago. The plan and EAs for the QQE LRT are pretty much "done' and what is missing are the $$. The latest money MAY solve that problem ......

I understand that some money has become available due to the recent agreements. But when the city talks about their priorities it rarely includes the Waterfront LRT.

I understand that some money has become available due to the recent agreements. But when the city talks about their priorities it rarely includes the Waterfront LRT.
It has been mentioned several times in last week in various City Reports and pressers. we.g.

• Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront Transit Network - the Province has indicated a willingness to discuss the other transit expansion projects approved by Council, subject to the terms of the agreement including a viable business case and credible progress towards relieving the state of good repair backlog on the existing subway system. Further direction regarding these projects will be sought in the report back from the City Manager as directed in this report

Details of Waterfront Toronto’s final offer, which were described to the Star by a source with knowledge of the document, were sent to Sidewalk Labs on Monday afternoon. They represent a nearly complete repudiation of the conditions the company has set out for one of the world’s first smart city developments. Sidewalk Labs has until Wednesday evening to come to a deal as its existing agreement with Waterfront Toronto expires on Oct. 31.

Key points in the offer include:

• No immediate guarantee the city will build light rail transit.
  • A geographic limit to developing the 12-acre Quayside plot.
  • A public data governance structure that allows a public body to determine what data is collected and who gets access to it.
  • Improved guarantees that technology developed at Quayside will be shared widely.

From Waterfront Toronto Finance, Audit & Risk Mgmt Committee on 21 November Page 38:

https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...M+-+November+21,+2019+-+FINAL.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Something is afoot!

The Corporation’s Delegations of Authority policy (Oct 10, 2019) requires Board approval for all capital project expenditures over $5 million. This request is for $14 million and relates to the Preliminary Design and Engineering of Queens Quay Revitalization. This work represents the next step in advancing this project forward. The completion of this scope will make this project eligible for funding of detailed design and construction. Details of the project and its scope are contained in the presentation attached as Appendix C to the board book. The approval request covers work planned for Jan 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 for Preliminary Design and Engineering (PDE) of Queens Quay East Revitalization which includes:

1. Portal Selection Study

2. PDE of Yonge St. Slip fill depending on conclusions from ongoing Portal Selection Study

3. PDE of Parliament slip fill to facilitate the extension of Queens Quay to Silo St. (at 3C site)

4. PDE of Cherry St. connection

5. PDE of updated street and landscape design of Queens Quay East from Bay St. to Parliament St.

6. PDE of new street and landscape design of Queens Quay East extension from Parliament to Cherry St.

This project is not currently part of the Corporation’s Rolling Five Year Strategic Plan (2019/20 – 2023/24) and is being added now as a result of a new funding source to support this work. Advancing waterfront transit has long been a Waterfront Toronto priority area. Approval of this capital approval will automatically add this project to the approved Rolling Five Year Strategic Plan.

A construction cost estimate will be a primary deliverable of this design work. This will be an interim deliverable, to be completed in August of 2020, to be used as part of a funding request for detailed design and construction as part of the 2021 City Budget process.

A construction cost estimate will be a primary deliverable of this design work. This will be an interim deliverable, to be completed in August of 2020, to be used as part of a funding request for detailed design and construction as part of the 2021 City Budget process.
That's interesting. If this goes ahead (and I'm not optimistic), it could finish around the same time as the 'planned' opening of the Ontario Line/SSE/EgWest
Whomever is Premier at the time will be doing a lot of ribbon cutting

That's interesting. If this goes ahead (and I'm not optimistic), it could finish around the same time as the 'planned' opening of the Ontario Line/SSE/EgWest
Whomever is Premier at the time will be doing a lot of ribbon cutting
Sorry to rain on the parade, but I don't see the most critical aspect of this project being mentioned; Union station connection. Without it, there's no LRT. Unless they secretly completed the PDE for that part..

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I don't see the most critical aspect of this project being mentioned; Union station connection. Without it, there's no LRT. Unless they secretly completed the PDE for that part..
We shall see but the City's approved plan IS to bring it to Union (and the CIBC Square Bldg is being built with an "LRT platform" in basement as part of their Section 37 funding. I bet same will be done with The Hub). Possibly the City is looking after that part of the LRT project and they already have much of the engineering done - all that is lacking is $$.

you're fast :p

What about item #1 - Portal Selection Study? What portal other than one to an LRT tunnel could they be referencing? The LRT is a separate project, but is linked to QQE revitalization - need to know where the tunnel will surface and plan for the appropriate infrastructure required for a future surface transit line. When the actual track will be laid is a different story.

What about item #1 - Portal Selection Study? What portal other than one to an LRT tunnel could they be referencing? The LRT is a separate project, but is linked to QQE revitalization - need to know where the tunnel will surface and plan for the appropriate infrastructure required for a future surface transit line. When the actual track will be laid is a different story.
Hope you're right, but I'm reading it as portal location selection study. They still need to re-build the whole streetcar loop at Union.

Back