Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

As I understand it, the spire on St Regis is "architectural" in nature, whereas the spire on FCP is an antenna.
Both because of purpose and time of addition. The Willis Tower in Chicago, for instance, added antennas (of more architectural merit than the metal ladders on top of FCP) but they do not contribute to the official height. St. Regis' spire serves no technical purpose and was part of the initial designs.

"the architectural top of the building, including spires, but not including antennae, signage, flagpoles or other functional-technical equipment.5This measurement is the most widely utilized and is employed to define the CTBUH rankings"

The FCP antennae are supported by guy-wires so guessing it likely fails the over-masters CTBUH criteria ... ironically 1 wtc spire is guy-supported.

Best to stick with plain eye sight... St. Regis ain't taller than Scotia ;-)

20191031_171835.jpg

Both because of purpose and time of addition. The Willis Tower in Chicago, for instance, added antennas (of more architectural merit than the metal ladders on top of FCP) but they do not contribute to the official height. St. Regis' spire serves no technical purpose and was part of the initial designs.
The two tall white television antennas atop the Willis Tower aren't actually free-standing themselves:

Chicago_%2824992980939%29.jpg

Like the Willis Tower in the previous post, the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong also has two tall white television antennas that are not free-standing:

img_3305.jpg

However, unlike those atop the Willis Tower, the television antennas atop the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong are equal height.

Might be a bit of a tangent, but here are some (good and bad) examples of facadism from my ol' neck of the woods, London, UK:
The rise of 'facadism' in London
Most of those show the heritage facade standing proud of the new structure, like a screen. I'm not sure if we have any such examples yet, but we will have one at Mirvish+Gehry. They won't stand proud here, they'll all be integrated as per usual in Toronto.

Toronto does a piss pour job at historical preservation let's just call a spade a spade here. To call our Toronto facendectomy "historical retention/preservation" is a joke, and YSL is yet another example of the never ending trend unfortunately.

Toronto does a piss pour job at historical preservation let's just call a spade a spade here. To call our Toronto facendectomy "historical retention/preservation" is a joke, and YSL is yet another example of the never ending trend unfortunately.

Though YSL is probably a more benign example of this practice - the nature of Yonge strip is such that the facades are what’s worthwhile.

AoD

I prefer "facadomy"

Back