News   Apr 16, 2024
 574     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 445     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 801     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I wonder if the VIA Trains that use this corridor could get a dual-mode loco and use the electrification to their benefit.

Not only talking about whether its technically possible or worth it for them, but I mean more along the lines of would Metrolinx allow them to?

Whats the protocol on overhead power sharing? It must be different than allowing trains to use your track

I don't think that there is any modern precedence to this here in Canada. (Yes, I'm aware that CN towed VIA's trains through the Mount Royal Tunnel, but neither of those organizations own nor use that stretch of track now. I also don't know how those arrangements operated, and if they were simply holdovers to when CN operated all of the services through there.)

In the US, Amtrak owns the majority of the North East Corridor and the overhead above it. Apparently their rates take into account not just power usage, but also maintenance and replacement costs as well, and so many of the commuter lines balk at the pricing offered - and thus operate diesel-powered trains under the overhead.

Dan

A shot of activity today at Bayview - looks like the turnout for the new third track to West Harbour is ready to be installed. Then comes the tracklaying. So nice to see this coming together. I'm told they may straighten out the kink in the tracks while they are at it.

The earthmoving on the north side that was commented on previously simply appears to be easing of the slope of the bank. I wonder whether new fencing is about to appear.

- Paul

20191123 Progress at Bayview.jpg

^ Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't they try for something like this? I assume there's a civil engineering reason relating to switch angles? Maybe even signaling? It's just tempting to draw a straight line extending the soon to be built third track cc @smallspy

20191123_155858.jpg

^Without measuring clearances or curves, that alignment would be exactly what CN would not want. The whole idea of the crossovers is to keep GO on the south most track, and to minimise conflict between those movements and London-bound trains (whose route diverges to the right).

The track alignment at Burlington and Aldershot is all about keeping freight on the north and GO on the south. This aligns to that.

- Paul

^Just to illustrate my point - just a few seconds after I took the above picture, this happened. See how CN relies on having both of the two London tracks available much of the time. There is a route possible from the middle track towards Hamilton, and that's used regularly by GO and Amtrak, if CN traffic permits. But running GO on the northmost track, and having it cross over in front of that eastbound, would be undesirable. That's why GO crosses over to the south at Burlington West and stays there until clear of the Dundas Sub.

- Paul
20191123 CN 3008.jpg

^ Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't they try for something like this? I assume there's a civil engineering reason relating to switch angles? Maybe even signaling? It's just tempting to draw a straight line extending the soon to be built third track cc @smallspy

View attachment 216605

On top of what Paul wrote, there is also a geometric reason why they won't do that.

Doing so would require the second switch to be a curved wye switch, which is not something that CN normally keeps in stock. Because it is non-standard, maintenance will be a bit more of a pain. As an additional minus, it's geometry may not be ideal for the speeds that CN wishes to operate at.

Dan

A shot of activity today at Bayview - looks like the turnout for the new third track to West Harbour is ready to be installed. Then comes the tracklaying. So nice to see this coming together. I'm told they may straighten out the kink in the tracks while they are at it.

The earthmoving on the north side that was commented on previously simply appears to be easing of the slope of the bank. I wonder whether new fencing is about to appear.

- Paul

View attachment 216604

I wonder if the new track will use concrete ties. That seems to be the new norm for Metrolinx.

I wonder if the new track will use concrete ties. That seems to be the new norm for Metrolinx.

Because it is owned by CN, and to be installed by their forces, they are likely to go with the bare minimum that they need to be able to meet the necessary standards. So, no, it's not going to use concrete ties.

Dan

I've also found this notice of public meeting (for zones 4+5), however it already took place on Nov 12:

It's a shame this project doesn't include the actual second track. Makes me wonder when they'll get to it, 2026?
I still remember Metrolinx promised 2WAD electrified service on the Barrie line by 2025.

Edit: on second thought, perhaps the actual second track is part of the OnCorr contract.

Nov 26
You forgot the other end.

The switch has been cut in at Bayview Junction.

Those snake tracks over by Desjardins Channel are to be straighten out. Switches have or are about to be cut in

Not edited nor tag correctly
49130846956_e47bc3c687_b.jpg

49130849211_51867738e8_b.jpg

49130848361_48a5f1061e_b.jpg

49131035077_2516e955ae_b.jpg

49130850226_98faa8f1b5_b.jpg

49130851836_87944b96f0_b.jpg

49130851606_72ea0393c9_b.jpg

49130851351_abd55d2251_b.jpg

Burlington
Tim's is open at Burlington GO station and Burlington Transit has moved buses back to the new bus bay for them back in Sept. Buses were still on the north side when I was there in Aug. Tim's was very busy and not surprise for this.

Confederation
Nothing has started on the new Confederation station itself or the tracks, but the bus terminal is done along with a small parking lot. The parking lot wasn't full when I was there.

There are 4 bus stops with GO having 3 of them and Dart for the other one. There is one shelter with a heater in it, but didn't need on today as it was so warm, I wasn't wearing a coat.
A few quick shot for now as they are in a backlog at this time. Not edit, tag or number at this time.
49130373398_bfd19bca54_b.jpg

49130372338_1b7627c54c_b.jpg

49131052697_24e3db0ff1_b.jpg

49130368748_ecc6900f96_b.jpg

Back