Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If all GO routes and MT routes, 107, 109, 110, 9, 61, 66, 6, 8, 3, 10, 76, 91 were move to the plaza area next to Hurontario as I have call for since 2010, the LRT would stay 100% on Hurontario and provide faster connection between North of the 403 and Cooksville GO station than the current back in/out time consuming plan. You would still need a bridge over Rathburn and the 403, but it doesn't need to be elevated to the south or CCTT. Riders will have a further walking distance to Sq One and no different like other places in NA or the world.

Mississauga's transit system is just too busy for one terminal. City Centre Transit Terminal has been operating beyond it's capacity ever since it opened. The system cannot grow any more as long it continues to be centered around one terminal. That's why they took out 26 from CCTT. If you bring all those routes to Hurontario/Rathburn terminal, it will be the same problem. There needs to be two terminals, and only 6, 9, 61 and maybe a few GO routes need to use it.

107, 109, 110 should stop at a new Hurontario transitway station. 8 will connect with the transitway at Cawthra. 91 will already connect to LRT at Cooksville. 10 will already connect to the LRT at Bristol and Robert Speck. 76 will already connect to the LRT at Burnhamthorpe station. 3 will already connect to LRT at Central Parkway station. None of these routes need the new terminal at Hurontario.

You want to compare Mississauga to other places in NA or the world, show me another place that has such a large system centered around ONE terminal. Winnipeg doesn't. Quebec City doesn't. Not even London, a system half the size of Mississauga, does that. Calgary is one fo the most centralized cities in North America and it doesn't do that. It's time for Mississauga to be like all these other places, exactly as you said.

Last edited:
Example of what service would look like with transitway instead of LRT along Rathburn:

p3666613169-5.jpg

Does diverting LRT to CCTT, or moving CCTT to the LRT seem necessary? You can see most of the routes will connect to the LRT regardless. The main concern are 6, 9, 61 and the transitway routes. Completing the transitway and building a small, secondary bus terminal is enough. No need for LRT to CCTT or vice versa. No need to split up Hurontario and force Hurontario riders to transfer at CCTT.

Example of what service would look like with transitway instead of LRT along Rathburn:

p3666613169-5.jpg

Does diverting LRT to CCTT, or moving CCTT to the LRT seem necessary? You can see most of the routes will connect to the LRT regardless. The main concern are 6, 9, 61 and the transitway routes. Completing the transitway and building a small, secondary bus terminal is enough. No need for LRT to CCTT or vice versa. No need to split up Hurontario and force Hurontario riders to transfer at CCTT.
Route 3 can't service Central Parkway Station as there is no road for it to get to Central Parkway now nor when the LRT start service. As it stands today, route 8 will remain as is, but no idea if it will disappear as is by 2024.

Mathew Gate is still on the books with Burnhamthrope stop on the north side of Burnhamthrope. If 3 gets move, it will add an extra 10 walk to/from it not only for me, but most everyone who don't use CP in the first place. Elm Dr see 5:1 riders than any of CP stops on route 3/10/103.

You are forcing riders to do a transfer one way or another since not everyone is going to Sq One Mall or the area other than get another bus for MT or GO at CCTT.

That's TWO years. The concrete will be poured, the subsoil will be laid down, and the asphalt roadway will rolled out within one year. Then the last year will be spent on finishings.
So you really think they will be able to: finish digging out Forest Hill, Leaside, Cedarvale, and Eglinton, constructing and pouring their station boxes, installing signalling/communication equipment, and finish installing trackbeds and rail amongst literally dozens of other things by the end of December 2020/January 2021. And then have enough time to do 100% perfect testing throughout the entire line of not only the communications systems, but also the signalling, and ultimately testing of the trains throughout the line in time to open for service by September 29, 2021?

I wish I could have some of that Kool-Aid!

Trust me, Hurontario's timeline is much more realistic compared to the Crosstown's.

Route 3 can't service Central Parkway Station as there is no road for it to get to Central Parkway now nor when the LRT start service. As it stands today, route 8 will remain as is, but no idea if it will disappear as is by 2024.

Mathew Gate is still on the books with Burnhamthrope stop on the north side of Burnhamthrope. If 3 gets move, it will add an extra 10 walk to/from it not only for me, but most everyone who don't use CP in the first place. Elm Dr see 5:1 riders than any of CP stops on route 3/10/103.

You are forcing riders to do a transfer one way or another since not everyone is going to Sq One Mall or the area other than get another bus for MT or GO at CCTT.

You really think the Kariya Dr extension won't happen by 2024? Elm would be a better location for an LRT stop than Central Parkway because of the density, but 3 should be able to serve Central Parkway station just fine, even without the Kariya Dr extension.

I think 8 should serve Cawthra station. With 53 now serving Mississauga Valleys, there is really no justication to take it off Cawthra. 8 needs to directly connect to not only the 100/107/109, but also the 20 and 26/76. Keeping 8 on Cawthra all the way to Eastgate would also fill in a major gap in the network.

I don't see how I am forcing riders to transfer at CCTT. The Hurontario LRT does not serve CCTT on my map and the service remains unified. I also combined 28 Confederation and 66 McLaughlin into one route like MT was planning to do years ago. What I am proposing would mean much fewer transfers compared to today, and certainly much fewer transfers compared to Metrolinx's idiotic plan.

This is news to me. From the front page article:

"A more recent development in the project is a plan to build an "elevated guideway" -- a separate overpass to carry the LRT trains over Highway 403. The overpass will also contain the junction to the spur track to and from the City Centre. The future line will operate as a split service, with all trains starting or ending their trips at City Centre. To travel further north- or southward, through passengers must transfer between trains."

I was under the impression that the split service idea had died along with the city centre loop, and that the in-and-out at the City Centre would be a one seat ride. Instead it'll be the same plan as before, except now we lost a bunch of useful stations that could have provided convenient LRT access to popular civic destinations around Celebration Square and all the residential density that surrounding it. What a shame.

Is that an error in the Urban Toronto article? Where is it confirmed anywhere publicly that it'll be a split service? This sentence doesn't have a source or reference.

You really think the Kariya Dr extension won't happen by 2024? Elm would be a better location for an LRT stop than Central Parkway because of the density, but 3 should be able to serve Central Parkway station just fine, even without the Kariya Dr extension.

I think 8 should serve Cawthra station. With 53 now serving Mississauga Valleys, there is really no justication to take it off Cawthra. 8 needs to directly connect to not only the 100/107/109, but also the 20 and 26/76. Keeping 8 on Cawthra all the way to Eastgate would also fill in a major gap in the network.

I don't see how I am forcing riders to transfer at CCTT. The Hurontario LRT does not serve CCTT on my map and the service remains unified. I also combined 28 Confederation and 66 McLaughlin into one route like MT was planning to do years ago. What I am proposing would mean much fewer transfers compared to today, and certainly much fewer transfers compared to Metrolinx's idiotic plan.
There are no plans at this time to extend Kariya Dr to Central Parkway as well extending Webb Dr to Kariya Dr. The extension are in the master plan, but at some future date down the road and after the LRT opens.

There is a big backlash over the removal of the current 8 route and it has been deferred at this time for the plan 2020 changes. Route 53 doesn't deal with the ridership that is carry by 8 today. With the removal of the current 8 route, students will be spending more time on the bus and having to transfer to the Transitway.

I have recommended years ago for a new route on Cawthra that runs from the Lakeshore to Derry Rd servicing the Transitway and by the way of 410 to Courtneypark Dr The option is open as to what road is to use to get to/from Derry Rd. The ridership on Cawthra to the Transitway has never been there since the 2004 EA. You are lucky to see 12 cars at the Cawthra Station which is more than the Dixie Station.

Having 28/66 as a straight north-south route would take pressure off the current 19 route as well being faster since it would bypass CCTT, but look for a backlash for 28 being remove from CCTT. Route 61 is a better route going to Dundas and then to the GO Station than the combining 66/28.

There will always be opposition to transfer, but need to be painless.

As I have stated since the EA started for Hurontario that ridership for Elm Dr is 5+ times greater than Central Parkway and will increase more once the 3 Edge Towers are built. It should have its own stop on the north side of Elm and move Matthews Gates stop to the south side of Burnhamthrope.

It going to add as much as 10 minutes extra travel time compare to the 103 for all riders who have no need to go to Sq One in the first place.

Same question I had for the other post. Where is the proof that the service will be split?

Same question I had for the other post. Where is the proof that the service will be split?
I haven't seen or heard of the split as posted. My posting is the same objection from day one when the loop surface as well this current stub end. Even if no split take place, extra travel time is going to be needed to get to/from CCTT.

More info may surface in the coming months now the contract is awarded, but operation will surface in a year or two how the line will operate. The only sure thing for operation at this time is 5 minute service at peak time and 10 off peak which is par for most LRT lines. Some see 15 minutes off peak in the US and don't support it.

I really wish that they built the Missisauga Transitway as originally planned, with the underground bus bay at Square One

Then, have the Hurontario LRT tunnel underground to meetup with it in an underground station exchange. The tunnel could just be a jog to the west and then come back to the east to link back up with Hurontario Street. No transfer, a through routing.

None of this weird Y Junction mess.

I really wish that they built the Missisauga Transitway as originally planned, with the underground bus bay at Square One

Then, have the Hurontario LRT tunnel underground to meetup with it in an underground station exchange. The tunnel could just be a jog to the west and then come back to the east to link back up with Hurontario Street. No transfer, a through routing.

The entire Rathburn transit terminal area is a mistake - undersized and clobbered together on the cheap piecemeal.

AoD

View attachment 210893

View attachment 210894

Can you explain why it would be necesary to build an expensive tunnel for the LRT all the way to CCTT instead of simply connecting to the transitway at Hurontario station?

If you look at the map I drew, you can see a complete transitway with a Hurontario station would make Hurontario LRT to CCTT unnecessary.

There are no plans at this time to extend Kariya Dr to Central Parkway as well extending Webb Dr to Kariya Dr. The extension are in the master plan, but at some future date down the road and after the LRT opens.

There is a big backlash over the removal of the current 8 route and it has been deferred at this time for the plan 2020 changes. Route 53 doesn't deal with the ridership that is carry by 8 today. With the removal of the current 8 route, students will be spending more time on the bus and having to transfer to the Transitway.

I have recommended years ago for a new route on Cawthra that runs from the Lakeshore to Derry Rd servicing the Transitway and by the way of 410 to Courtneypark Dr The option is open as to what road is to use to get to/from Derry Rd. The ridership on Cawthra to the Transitway has never been there since the 2004 EA. You are lucky to see 12 cars at the Cawthra Station which is more than the Dixie Station.

Yeah, to be fair, when 53 was taken out of the terminal, the 10 replaced it as an alternative. But I don't think the ridership is there for a new route on Cawthra, especially one that spends so much time on the 410. It's either Cawthra station or CCTT, and I think it should be Cawthra station. 8 needs to directly connect with 20, 26/76, and the transitway.

Having 28/66 as a straight north-south route would take pressure off the current 19 route as well being faster since it would bypass CCTT, but look for a backlash for 28 being remove from CCTT. Route 61 is a better route going to Dundas and then to the GO Station than the combining 66/28.

28/66 needs to connect to the transitway routes and GO, so I don't think removing it from CCTT would be a good idea. Just a unified service would make it much easier for 28/66 riders connect to 1/101, 26, 35 and other east-west routes. If they want a grid, 28/66 just need to be one route.

Mavis buses are busy enough that they can add a new route that connects to Burhamthorpe and Dundas, and keep the 61 to CCTT. They deleted the Mavis transitway station from the plans so the buses will have to serve CCTT.

Back