News   Apr 18, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Post your criticism/suggestions here

We are upgrading both the forum and the homepage/database. The "secure" issue is being dealt with. First step is the forum upgrade we just did. The rest is coming in the next few weeks.

Having unread forums as grey and read forums as blue seems counter-intuitive but maybe it's just me.

Is it possible to bring back the previous and next thread buttons? It's now more work to move between posts. Overall, I love the changes though! :)

Is it possible to bring back the previous and next thread buttons? It's now more work to move between posts. Overall, I love the changes though!

Working on it.

I know there is, but the scope of that thread is the actual Relief Line North project, which is Line 3 from Line 2 to Line 4. IMO, the proposals in that thread for extensions to Richmond Hill via RH GO or Markham via Victoria Park/Woodbine is much more suited for the Fantasy Map thread or a 4th Relief Line Thread.

To be honest, having an individual thread for each section of the Relief Line is a good idea, but there does come some discussions that would be better suited for a general merged thread, that could potentially contain links to all the “sub-threads” and contain its own posts as well. Kind of like having a sub-forum for “Urban Life” has sub-sub-forums for “Neighbourhood Node”, “Out & About”, and “Retail”, and each sub-sub-forum have their own threads.

This then opens up the forum to some crazy ideas like this:
  • Forums
    • Buildings
      • Toronto
        • Downtown
          • CIBC Square
        • Scarborough
        • North York
        • Etobicoke
      • Mississauga
    • Transportation and Infrastructure
      • Transit
        • GTA
          • Toronto Transit Commission
            • Line 1: Yonge-University-Spadina Line
              • TYSSE
              • YNSE
            • Line 2: Bloor-Danforth Line
              • Scarborough Subway Extension
              • Line 2 West Extension
            • Line 3 (Future): Relief Line
              • Relief Line South
              • Relief Line North
              • Relief Line West
              • Relief Line Extensions
            • TTC Other Items (catch all)
          • Metrolinx
            • GO Transit
              • GO Expansion/Regional Express Rail
              • GO Construction
              • GO Service
            • Line 5: Eglinton Crosstown LRT
            • Presto Card
            • Metrolinx Other Items (catch all)
          • York Region Transit
          • Union Station Revitalization
        • Transit Fantasy Map
      • Roads
        • Ministry of Transportation
        • City of Toronto
      • Cycling
      • Parks
      • Public Spaces
Sorry if I'm getting too off topic, as it is probably more appropriate to the "Forum Issues" sub-forum.
There are 43 different pages now, which makes it hard to find an old thread.
Even 1 extra level might help. TTC. GO. Roads. Other Transit.

Using the latest version of Chrome on my laptop:

Since the forum update, when I load any page, the up/down/pg-up/pg-down keys don't work until I click anywhere on the page. I am going to presume it is javascript related.

I have a request to add the ability to view all the posted photos in a thread one one page. This is useful when you jump into an old thread for the first time and want to see the progression of a building proposal. It would be a quick way to overview a thread and get caught up.

The new forum design is almost unusable on computers with high resolution displays (4k). The scrolling is terribly jittery, especially on pages with a lot of media posts. I kind of miss the old form design from a few years ago, that used a more basic HTML layout. Performance was never an issue with that configuration.

The new forum design is almost unusable on computers with high resolution displays (4k). The scrolling is terribly jittery, especially on pages with a lot of media posts. I kind of miss the old form design from a few years ago, that used a more basic HTML layout. Performance was never an issue with that configuration.
I agree (as I type this post on a 27" iMac with Retina Display set to small text, more space).

This whole site redesign is a complete mess. I can’t believe the Urban Toronto team saw this, used it for more than a day and decided to keep it. It was apparent right away that it wouldn’t work on mobile with all these frames and that it was built using outdated web standards that don’t support new kinds of devices, including high resolution displays.

At the very least, I wish the forum were available standalone or that it was available through a standard forum app so we could ignore this broken website entirely.

Ed, whatever you paid for this, you paid too much. Consider hiring someone with up to date knowledge of web standards. Bonus points if they’re educated/experienced in design and user interfaces.

This whole site redesign is a complete mess. I can’t believe the Urban Toronto team saw this, used it for more than a day and decided to keep it.

What's even more amazing is that the design had already been in place on the Skyrise Cities site for many months prior, and yet the team still concluded that "yep, it's all good!"

What is with the white space between the share options/page navigation and the parent forum? That white space should really be below the back link so you can scroll all the way down and press it without struggling with it so close to the bottom of the screen.
C2F0063F-0387-4279-8675-A7F4AAA722A2.jpeg

Back