Toronto 728 Yonge | ?m | 3s | Brook McIlroy

^^^ It seems to be shaping up that way. And the bronze panels and mullions are an easy win for me. Anything other than grey!

It is worth the wait from having a very small temporary SDM about the size of an average corner store.
Not like there aren't a couple each less than 200m away—HBC and Manulife Centre. Not sure how this level of saturation is profitable, but whatever...

Stone cladding today.
76660CCA-BEE7-4E99-87C0-1E932A4FA6DF.jpeg
5D23E2C0-EABD-429F-B3BF-5527338C11A7.jpeg
04AC6B5B-540E-41D9-AE36-ECAAB886D1BB.jpeg
98D74F61-51BC-4DFD-AA8F-1F2FEFB147E8.jpeg

Cornice restorations are a beautiful thing.

That being said, this project is sure taking a long time.

I wish every Victorian building would have its cornices restored. Our city's architecture would be so much better if most buildings had their ornamental trim restored.

It was a very unfortunate trend in the 1940s through 1960s to remove ornamental trim from 19th and early 20th century buildings. Besides cornices, ornamental balustrades were often removed, as well as leaded glass windows, stained glass, terracotta panels, cast iron railings and lanterns, and bargeboard trim.

Last edited:
It was a very unfortunate trend in the 1940s through 1960s to remove ornamental trim from 19th and early 20th century buildings. Besides cornices, ornamental balustrades were often removed, as well as leaded glass windows, stained glass, terracotta panels, cast iron railings and lanterns, and bargeboard trim.
I think it was a combination of trends towards more streamlined designs (these older features were seen as frilly and excessive) but more importantly, the slummification of the buildings, which produced what I call 'architectural erosion'- where non-cost-effective/non-trendy architectural features inevitably decay or are lost, and aren't replaced- gradually eroding a building to only a barely recognizable mass which hardly represents its original design intent. Bonus points for additions and recladding which further obfuscates the original design.

The site of 2 Tecumseh is a perfect example of this:
abattoir_archives.jpg

Reduced to this:
toronto_abattoir_main.jpg

Last edited:

Back