News   Apr 18, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

You can bet no one on the commission lives near Queen and Sherbourne.
Just put a cop there. Or even better, open up small community stations in these troubled areas with beat cops 24/7.

community-police-station-in-castle-road-bedford-uk-england-AD6DTT.jpg

The somewhat old rumor at City Hall is that the community centre redevelopment is dead or at least in difficulty. The community consultation was last summer and if I recall the timeline correctly was supposed to be approved by Council by now. Anyone have info?

Hello everyone,

I would like to share an article that I wrote that features the historic character of Toronto's Moss Park district and the history of its various phases of development.

The article sheds light on the "urban renewal" plan that was implemented in the 1950s while posing a series of thought provoking questions about the nature of city building and "slum" politics.

Finally, the article concludes critiquing the proposals for further redevelopment and underlines the importance of preservation and revitalization of Moss Park's historic buildings.

Link via google drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZdxleJ-QNJ_oT2HAMdQI2viiiJ6Nfa5/view?usp=sharing

Comments are appreciated

Hope you enjoy

Any idea what is planned for the 214 - 226 Sherbourne St. Empty Lot (Corner of Sherb and Dundas) ? There was a for sale sign , it was recently taken down.

I wish the Sally Ann and city that owns much of the shelter and rooming house beds on Sherbourne would clean up the litter dumped by their clients. It’s an embarrassment to cycle up Sherbourne and see piles of Timmies cups, etc. strewn about.

Hello everyone,

I would like to share an article that I wrote that features the historic character of Toronto's Moss Park district and the history of its various phases of development.

The article sheds light on the "urban renewal" plan that was implemented in the 1950s while posing a series of thought provoking questions about the nature of city building and "slum" politics.

Finally, the article concludes critiquing the proposals for further redevelopment and underlines the importance of preservation and revitalization of Moss Park's historic buildings.

Link via google drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZdxleJ-QNJ_oT2HAMdQI2viiiJ6Nfa5/view?usp=sharing

Comments are appreciated

Hope you enjoy

Great read, thanks so much for sharing this.

Update:

I wish the Sally Ann and city that owns much of the shelter and rooming house beds on Sherbourne would clean up the litter dumped by their clients. It’s an embarrassment to cycle up Sherbourne and see piles of Timmies cups, etc. strewn about.
It's a tough situation for sure. Knowing how much it bothers you, have you considered volunteering to help keep the corner tidy? I'm sure the very stretched staff would appreciate it. I imagine it's a very difficult job, I honestly have a lot of respect for anyone who's willing to help instead of just complain.

Though I certainly agree that the area around shelters is often messy, I think you need to think a bit about why this is so. Firstly, many people who have to use shelters have mental, addiction and other issues and keeping themselves and their environments clean and tidy is not uppermost in their minds. Secondly, most shelters are only open at night so their occupants are 'thrown out' every morning and thus tend to congregate outside them. I am afraid little can be done to solve the first of these 'reasons' but shelter residents really need safe, supportive and convenient places to go during the day so that they do not simply hang around outside 'night shelters' all day, waiting to get back in at night..

Back