News   Mar 28, 2024
 117     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Isn't Hurdman Station in a floodplain? That'd be okay for buses, but not for a permanent light metro line.
Hurdman is also on top of an old landfill making development a very difficult issue.

Hurdman Station is elevated to allow an under-station roadway access (included in station design) from south to north, which will enable the area surrounding the station to be developed in the future.
I know a planner who worked on this and the loooooong term plan is to convert the SW Transitway to LRT (similar to the Confederation Line) with Hudrman become an interchange station and a line running to Vanier and Gatineau underground. This is a long ways away and won't show up in any planning documents but they're thinking long term and build the underpass with under-station lrt access in mind. Same with a LRT line under Bank Street from South Keys to Hull. But as of now it's nothing more than visionary thinking and chicken scratch.

Check out Lyon, one of Ottawa's new Subway stations! Super smart design, high capacity, and beautiful architecture! All on North America's Newest rapid transit system!

Please consider resharing to help us reach more people!

An interesting footnote about Lyon, the ceiling in the concourse is a backup plan. Originally it was supposed to have this interesting ceiling made out of reclaimed ash as was Rideau. However they apparently ruined the wood during the drying process, so they had to go to plan B.

confederation-line-ottawa-6.jpg

Would have been stunning. That’s too bad about reclaimed old-growth wood being ruined.

Ottawa definitely has the best Ontario LRT stations now and for the foreseeable future — and probably will even remain fancier than Eglinton Crosstown (more barebones stations for surface sections).

Maybe we can re-create a similar idea to that scrapped Plan A. Some existing TTC stations could benefit from a few nicely-lain sheets of wood, or Crosstown probably isn't too late. Certainly lots of fallen ash to go around in Ontario. I've encountered logs that have been dead for 10yrs and are still hard as a rock. Very unique tree we should utilize, and in great abundance.

Parliament's station ceiling is also a change, it became the main art piece rather than a mural up the stairs like Lyon. In this case, plan B was way better than plan A

Kinda wish they do the mural eventually. A collage of provincial flags is very appropriate for this stop.

Maybe we can re-create a similar idea to that scrapped Plan A. Some existing TTC stations could benefit from a few nicely-lain sheets of wood, or Crosstown probably isn't too late. Certainly lots of fallen ash to go around in Ontario. I've encountered logs that have been dead for 10yrs and are still hard as a rock. Very unique tree we should utilize, and in great abundance.

My secret wish for the TTC is that someone funds an infrastructure renewal that rejuvenates the exisiting stations, installs PED/PSDs, elevators, tactile direction indicators, improving signage and wayfinding, art work, etc. But that would be a $2 billion project at least. And nobody would ever fund that over allocating it to an extension.

My secret wish for the TTC is that someone funds an infrastructure renewal that rejuvenates the exisiting stations, installs PED/PSDs, elevators, tactile direction indicators, improving signage and wayfinding, art work, etc. But that would be a $2 billion project at least. And nobody would ever fund that over allocating it to an extension.
$2 Billion per station. ???

Since there's a separate thread relating to activities by Moose, I've provided an update there with some new documents on their website:

I had a few thoughts after my trip up to Ottawa last weekend. I'm generally a fan - the new LRT rides nice, is fast, and hell of a lot more efficient than the buses on Albert and Slater. But some of the bus connections are pretty bad, and using the old eastern Transitway limits the amount of transit-oriented development around several stations.

The end of the beginning, at Tunney's Pasture:

IMG_4493-001.JPG

I had a few thoughts after my trip up to Ottawa last weekend. I'm generally a fan - the new LRT rides nice, is fast, and hell of a lot more efficient than the buses on Albert and Slater. But some of the bus connections are pretty bad, and using the old eastern Transitway limits the amount of transit-oriented development around several stations.

The end of the beginning, at Tunney's Pasture:

View attachment 207347
That really visualizes the conversion from BRT to LRT in one image.

Back