Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Based on the shadow study I would say Davis Pecault Square which is protected in TOCore and Bill 108.
I doubt that this proposal @ 267m to be built 100 meters south of the 240m 160 Front and by the rail corridor would have any shadowing issues here?

square.PNG

There is actually something there to shade?

AoD
I wish Pecaut Square were better: it certainly needs a thoughtful and inventive redesign that would still work for the many festivals and events throughout the year that put up buildings on parts of it… but it's the making it work during the rest of the year—which is most of it—when it's not covered by tents, stages, etc. As more and more people end up in the area, whether office workers looking for a place for a break, or residents of the new condos nearby dong the same, the open space is going to become more sought after and more precious…

So yes, there is something to shade, and therefore something to prevent from being shaded. The sun should still fall on that square, but what it falls on needs major improvements.

I work near David Pecaut Square and there's a farmer's market there through the summer, but for much of the season I don't want to go out there because it's so blazingly sunny and hot. IMO David Pecaut Square could use *more* shadows, in particular in the middle, though possibly that would be better achieved by planting more trees rather than from towers and also I imagine the shadow concerns here are more on the edges and in the shoulder seasons, not the summer. But in general I feel like we need a much more nuanced look at shadows in the city, not just shadows bad, sun good.

I work near David Pecaut Square and there's a farmer's market there through the summer, but for much of the season I don't want to go out there because it's so blazingly sunny and hot. IMO David Pecaut Square could use *more* shadows, in particular in the middle, though possibly that would be better achieved by planting more trees rather than from towers and also I imagine the shadow concerns here are more on the edges and in the shoulder seasons, not the summer. But in general I feel like we need a much more nuanced look at shadows in the city, not just shadows bad, sun good.
Agreed re: nuanced… but if you want strategic shadowing from the sun, you need the sunlight first: the square will still need to get as much sunlight as it can, then figure out where to plant trees or provide gazebos or other sheltering structures, or add seating in areas already prone to shadowing.
Does anyone know when will the DRP Feedback for Union Center become available?
I do!*

*That's our lead story for the weekend, coming at the end of the day.

After seeing some of those angles down University, I have to agree it's a little too wide in context. That said, I do wonder if with the larger towers to the west planned or approved that that scale wouldn't feel so large. Reducing this from a 90m slab to perhaps something between 60-70m would really elongate and make for a more elegant design.

Back