News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 728     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

It's subjective of course, but Mississauga "feels" like a bedroom community to me, whereas Ottawa felt like a self-contained small to midsize city. Now it might feel larger to most due to the subway section downtown.

I think change big time over the next 5-10 years more and more will move downtown and some amazing projects are happening.

Just finished my first round trip ride. It really feels like a metro! The only thing I'd improve upon is adding railhead and flange greasers to the curves in to and out of Hurdman. The trains really grind hard through those sections...
I'm curious how it compares and contrasts to Ion, having never ridden the latter. Obviously very different systems, but considering they are of the same vintage I'm curious in differences in vehicle comfort and ride.

I'm curious how it compares and contrasts to Ion, having never ridden the latter. Obviously very different systems, but considering they are of the same vintage I'm curious in differences in vehicle comfort and ride.

The Alstom trains feel more spartan due to the smaller windows, exposed sliders on the insides of the doors, accordion pleats that don't conform to the body profile on the outside, the triple stanchions blocking the aisles, the single round red 'cargo trailer' light in the ceiling above each open door, etc. (I had really hoped they'd be like the new Montreal Metro trains with LED sidelights framing each door, which are white normally, green for open doors, and flashing red for doors that are closing. The Montreal trains have the triple stanchions too, but with the white door frame lighting all around them they look so much less gloomy than Ottawa's.) The trains ride really well however (other than grinding through the curves around Hurdman, which is easily resolved with track greasers) and the system feels fast, something ION has yet to achieve because they're limited to 50 km/h until they get their ATP sorted out. (Not to mention all of ION's mid-street rights of way and their associated intersections. In my experience ION's traffic light priority is excellent, but it's still not freaking magic.)

I suspect the Alstom bogies pivot to lead the trains into the curves smoothly, whereas Bombardier's bogies are fixed except for some rubber bushings and so have to pivot the entire mass of their module with them when they enter a corner. The ION system, unlike legacy TTC streetcar track, was built with spiral curves to compensate for the way these fixed-bogie vehicles enter a curve, but you still get the feeling that you're being slammed through them sometimes. The motors in the Bombardier trains are quieter, the Alstoms can be howly at times (akin to the Tasmanian Devil's spin-up in some sections where it reflects back at the trains quite a bit.) Maybe it's all down to the geometry around the vehicles rather than the vehicles themselves (or just the higher speeds), but your system seems rather a bit louder. Despite the extra loudness (heck, maybe it is just down to the speed), there are less strange noises coming from inside your vehicles, likely since you don't have any sharp turns. Certain ION trains have their own unique groans and creaks rounding the sharper turns that set them apart from the rest of the fleet, probably down to that whole "the bogie twists the entire module" thing. On ION you'll also hear the sanders come on several times throughout your trip (like hair dryers on low hidden in the walls), the hills of ION's on-street sections combined with the track greasers pretty much guarantee that some sections are 50/50 if a train will sand them or not, even on a clear summer day! You guys don't have this issue, at least not until the snow hits.

Ottawa's stations are gorgeous! I keep expecting to run into Richard Attenborough in a white safari outfit muttering "Spared no expense." What we've got for ION is little more than low platforms with fancy bus shelters and nice anchor walls. It kept our system to a budget that could make it through the voting process, but I am quite jealous of yours. You have stations, each one with a uniquely grand sense of place that tells people "You have arrived." Man, even your tunnels are nice! Spacious, well lit. I really think that using LRT trains rather than heavy rail was the way to go here. The low platforms and lack of a third rail make each station feel bright and open rather than a dank place of danger. Hopefully no-one will ever venture on to your tracks (and Ottawa was smart enough to put up decently tall barriers between them, and not just chain link but pretty things matched to each individual station), but even if they do they won't get electrocuted and can easily and quickly get themselves back onto the platform again.

You guys have got a good thing up here Kyle, well done Ottawa!

Last edited:
A couple kids tried to get into the fair paid zone today ploice did show up and dealt with them with that said i hope this does not become a trend.

A couple kids tried to get into the fair paid zone today ploice did show up and dealt with them with that said i hope this does not become a trend.

It's doubtful it will become a trend. You will always get a couple of bad apples in society. Teenagers especially seem to go through that "anti-establishment" phase. Going to a high school that sat on a VIVA route, it was common to hear classmates brag how they "rebelled" against the system by not paying their fare (fare enforcement of VIVA isn't common outside of the terminals). Generally, I find Ottawa is much better at following the rules than Toronto. As long as OC Transpo makes it clear that you will get caught if you don't pay during the first few months of operation, it should be enough to enforce the fact that paying your fare is mandatory.

I spent Saturday riding the Trillium and Confederation lines to their extremes and back, then exploring the cycling trails between Bayview and the Rideau canal. On Sunday I took my bike to cycle the other half and had a realization about Hurdman: It's elevated, the approach ramps to it all seem to be brand new (i.e. not inherited from the old Transitway), and yet nothing crosses underneath it but pedestrian and cycle traffic. Surely it would have been cheaper to keep the tracks at ground level then vault some cycling and pedestrian paths over it. Does anyone know why it was built elevated?

Unrelated: Waterloo Region's fare inspectors have been handing out velcro bands to cyclists that you can wrap around a brake lever (front works best) to hold your bike while riding the trains. It works really well and was a genius bit of promotion on the part of the region:

It would be great if Ottawa did something similar.

Hurdman Station is elevated to allow an under-station roadway access (included in station design) from south to north, which will enable the area surrounding the station to be developed in the future.

This could be the final nail in the coffin for the Prince of Wales bridge.

As an outsider who's only just seen the place for the first time this past weekend, it seems absolutely crazy to me to have an established rail corridor and not use it for rail. They say it's because it would cause capacity problems at Bayview, but surely it would be cheaper to build capacity there than to find/build an entirely new corridor across a major river.

The only positive I could see is if they built a new combined road/rail/ped/bike connection. When driving to Mont Tremblant from the GTA last year I found it entirely ridiculous that there's no way to get from the 416 to the 50 without hopping off into regular street traffic. Perhaps if they could address that at the same time as the other needs...

As an outsider who's only just seen the place for the first time this past weekend, it seems absolutely crazy to me to have an established rail corridor and not use it for rail. They say it's because it would cause capacity problems at Bayview, but surely it would be cheaper to build capacity there than to find/build an entirely new corridor across a major river.

The only positive I could see is if they built a new combined road/rail/ped/bike connection. When driving to Mont Tremblant from the GTA last year I found it entirely ridiculous that there's no way to get from the 416 to the 50 without hopping off into regular street traffic. Perhaps if they could address that at the same time as the other needs...

The plan is to use another bridge closer to downtown to bring LRT across the river. Bayview is a problem because it is too far west of downtown and it would require Ottawa taxpayers to provide trains for Gatineau residents.

There is a lot of politics involved in providing the highway link between the 50 and 416. A good plan was proposed east of downtown but local residents convinced the provincial government to kill it. The alternative of a highway tunnel under downtown is too expensive and did not provide a clean highway connection. The matter is under study yet again.

The plan is to use another bridge closer to downtown to bring LRT across the river. Bayview is a problem because it is too far west of downtown and it would require Ottawa taxpayers to provide trains for Gatineau residents.

There is a lot of politics involved in providing the highway link between the 50 and 416. A good plan was proposed east of downtown but local residents convinced the provincial government to kill it. The alternative of a highway tunnel under downtown is too expensive and did not provide a clean highway connection. The matter is under study yet again.

Between Quebec 50 (5) and 416 or 417? a direct link to 416 would be quite a disruptive hike.

Back