Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Its funny this whole transfer deal was one of the main things that predicated the whole Scarborough Subway debacle, and now where about to make the same mistake again on Eglinton.

We haven't yet seen any station designs for the Ontario Line, so why are we already complaining?

Its funny this whole transfer deal was one of the main things that predicated the whole Scarborough Subway debacle, and now where about to make the same mistake again on Eglinton.
No - we already made that mistake.
The construction cost, disruptions, etc. to fix the mistake is orders of magnitude worse than what was required to fix Kennedy.

We haven't yet seen any station designs for the Ontario Line, so why are we already complaining?
Well if you think about the the design for the Ontario Line being elevated at Eglinton while the EC is underground then at best the station would almost certainly be laid out as :

Lv 4: Ontario Line Platform
-------------------------------------
Lv 3: Street Level
Lv2: Eglinton Crosstown Mezzanine
---------------------------------------
Lv 1: Eglinton Crosstown Platform

Its litterally Kennedy all over again. This is made worse by the fact that we have litterally had this debate about ineffeciant transfers before in Scarborough, so the fact that nobody at any point be it on the part of the City, Metrolinx, or the Province looked at the Science Centre Transfer and saw what was coming when we are embroiled in the very same debate elsewhere is mind blowing. I don't care whether it was Metrolinx removing the lower level of Science Centre station or the Province designing the Ontario Line to interchange with the Crosstown at an elevated grade, the fact is it is insanity and further speaks volumes about everything wrong with transit planning in this city and everyone is to blame.

Well if you think about the the design for the Ontario Line being elevated at Eglinton while the EC is underground then at best the station would almost certainly be laid out as :

Its litterally Kennedy all over again. This is made worse by the fact that we have litterally had this debate about ineffeciant transfers before in Scarborough, so the fact that nobody at any point be it on the part of the City, Metrolinx, or the Province looked at the Science Centre Transfer and saw what was coming when we are embroiled in the very same debate elsewhere is mind blowing. I don't care whether it was Metrolinx removing the lower level of Science Centre station or the Province designing the Ontario Line to interchange with the Crosstown at an elevated grade, the fact is it is insanity and further speaks volumes about everything wrong with transit planning in this city and everyone is to blame.

The line may be elevated, but it doesn’t prevent the possibility to have it dive underground at Eglinton. We’re just gonna have to wait and see what the province plans to do here. But with that being said, I would not be surprised if we end up with exactly what you describe with this government and their incessant cost-cutting.

The line may be elevated, but it doesn’t prevent the possibility to have it dive underground at Eglinton. We’re just gonna have to wait and see what the province plans to do here. But with that being said, I would not be surprised if we end up with exactly what you describe with this government and their incessant cost-cutting.

Ducking under Eglinton at that location would add substantially, maybe more than $1B*, to the cost. Despite being the better solution and possibly even required to provide Yonge relief from the Eglinton line, I can see it being skipped.

That said, I would gladly trade the Western leg for a well designed interchange at Eglinton.

* Construction inflation rate in Toronto is just shy of 10% (as measured by RLB); $400M/km of subway is long gone.

Last edited:

The difference is that it is a perpendicular transfer and and not a linear transfer like Kennedy was.
Also, Eglinton is an on-street LRT type streetcar, so it just doesn't expect the same level of service as a grade-separated line.

Certainly very plausible.

I suppose I am merely rather suspicious that the scheme as proposed (with much detail to be fleshed out) will never see the light of day, but your suggestion makes perfect sense if this dubious scheme goes through.

I too am suspicious as well. There are still an awful lot of questions that remain to be answered, and as is tradition Metrolinx has kept their cards close - maybe too close - to their chest. That said, there does seem to be a lot of promise, and dare I say even a touch of brilliance behind the routing, however.

Dan

Oh, cry me a river.

"Ontario Line could be open as early as 2027 and serve 30% more capacity than the Yonge Line"

Erm... So the Ontario Line is supposed to be even more crowded then Line 1? Or is it just due to the magical unspecified technology it will carry even more people, all seated of course, while offering a shiatsu massage to each customer.

IO 2019 Market Update

Oh nice, they actually confirmed platform edge doors are happening (well as much as anything is confirmed at this point). That's a relief.

The idea of canopy structures above the outdoor sections is also interesting, although that's given as a possibility, vs the more certain terms they use around the platform doors.

Back