118     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC expanding boarding decals test to southbound St George platform

August 28, 2019

The TTC is expanding a platform decal pilot project that improves customer flow on and off subway trains and reduces crowding at busy Line 1 interchange stations.

This week, the decals are being installed on the southbound platform at St George Station.

Introduced in April on the southbound platform at Bloor-Yonge Station, the high-visibility decals show customers where the subway doors will be. When customers on the platform have a better idea of where to stand, they are able to board and exit trains more efficiently. (See attached image)

With the TTC's new automated signaling system in place at St George, trains will stop in the same spot every time, ensuring the doors and decals are in line.

The decals will run the entire length of the southbound platform. Doors nearest accessible seating will be marked in blue to indicate this as the preferred boarding location for customers with mobility devices, strollers and luggage. The TTC requests that priority be given to these customers to board first once other customers have exited the train.

The platform decals are one of several steps the TTC is taking at Bloor-Yonge to reduce delays and improve subway service on Line 1 in the morning rush hour. Already, the station is using an enhanced customer management model and has emergency medical responders on site for quicker response to and clearing of Emergency Alarms.

TTC expanding boarding decals test to southbound St George platform

August 28, 2019

The TTC is expanding a platform decal pilot project that improves customer flow on and off subway trains and reduces crowding at busy Line 1 interchange stations.

This week, the decals are being installed on the southbound platform at St George Station.

Introduced in April on the southbound platform at Bloor-Yonge Station, the high-visibility decals show customers where the subway doors will be. When customers on the platform have a better idea of where to stand, they are able to board and exit trains more efficiently. (See attached image)

With the TTC's new automated signaling system in place at St George, trains will stop in the same spot every time, ensuring the doors and decals are in line.

The decals will run the entire length of the southbound platform. Doors nearest accessible seating will be marked in blue to indicate this as the preferred boarding location for customers with mobility devices, strollers and luggage. The TTC requests that priority be given to these customers to board first once other customers have exited the train.

The platform decals are one of several steps the TTC is taking at Bloor-Yonge to reduce delays and improve subway service on Line 1 in the morning rush hour. Already, the station is using an enhanced customer management model and has emergency medical responders on site for quicker response to and clearing of Emergency Alarms.

Implemented by request of Les Nessman (of WKRP In Cincinnati) and his imaginary office door and walls. Since the TTC cannot afford platform doors.

In Star:

GTA
Monday is your last chance to ride the TTC’s old, articulated streetcars

By Ilya BañaresStaff Reporter
Wed., Aug. 28, 2019timer2 min. read
If you’re a transit enthusiast, now is your chance to take one last ride on one of Toronto’s oldest streetcars.
On Monday, the TTC is officially retiring the last two of its articulated light rail vehicle (ALRV) streetcars — which are about three decades old — despite the agency’s efforts to extend their life for up to an additional 10 years.
According to the transit agency, both vehicles will run on Queen St. from 2 p.m. until roughly 5 p.m. on Labour Day. One will depart from the Russell Carhouse near Queen St. E. and Greenwood Ave. and head east until Bathurst St.

The other streetcar will depart from Bathurst and Wolseley Sts., at around the same time, although the precise time won’t be determined until later due to road closures and traffic from the Canadian National Exhibition.
The very last car leaves from the Wolseley Loop at 4:15 p.m. and will return to the Russell Carhouse at around 5 p.m., the TTC said.
Service on the two ALRVs will be free on their last day in commission.

Toronto transit expert Steve Munro said he was “surprised” by the news of the ALRVs’ retirement.

“I’ll go out and track them down and hope that it’s still in service by the time I get there,” he said.

Awesome, pop open a cold one on the commute home. (and yes, I know it happens on GO, particularly on Friday homeward bound commutes, but it's relatively subtle)

The TTC has stated that cracking a cold one will still be illegal no matter where you buy it.

That said I can think of a few TTC stations where this may be a problem. Warden Station for example has small shops that attract the residentially impaired, the wage impaired and the otherwise disabled. If you sell booze at certain stations you will likely have problems. I can see people loitering in the small shops at various stations drinking.

This is one of those Dougie ideas that he thinks appeals to the masses but does not take into account real world conditions.

The TTC has stated that cracking a cold one will still be illegal no matter where you buy it.

That said I can think of a few TTC stations where this may be a problem. Warden Station for example has small shops that attract the residentially impaired, the wage impaired and the otherwise disabled. If you sell booze at certain stations you will likely have problems. I can see people loitering in the small shops at various stations drinking.

This is one of those Dougie ideas that he thinks appeals to the masses but does not take into account real world conditions.

Wine in a subway station? What does one think Toronto is? Paris France?

Good for them to emphasize that but it remains illegal in Ontario whether the TTC states it or not. Just because the LCBO and Beer stores have parking lots doesn't meean you can quaff in the car on the way home.

Good for them to emphasize that but it remains illegal in Ontario whether the TTC states it or not. Just because the LCBO and Beer stores have parking lots doesn't meean you can quaff in the car on the way home.

They only mentioned it because you will get stupid people that try to get themselves blitzed on the way home.

That doesn't stop people from drinking. You see certain people with opened beer on them all the time. Then there are those who light up a cigarette on the bus terminal in front of everyone. enforcement? It is best they don't sell them in subways if they don't want people drinking on their way home.

That doesn't stop people from drinking. You see certain people with opened beer on them all the time. Then there are those who light up a cigarette on the bus terminal in front of everyone. enforcement? It is best they don't sell them in subways if they don't want people drinking on their way home.

Every night at Warden Station there is someone mooching for money to buy a patty. If they start selling booze in stations it will only end up with people asking commuters for money for a coffee (and buy alcohol).

Before anyone complains.. there are supervisors and security there daily and the cafe on the go staff get accosted daily by people wanting free or discounted food.

My point is... if you give people easy access to alcohol in a subway station it will be problematic. People will end up buying beer in a station and riding the trains all day drinking. I am not saying that people with substance abuse issues should be banned from the subway but honestly it creates problems system wide.

From CP24.

Anyone have a photo of one of these?
As someone who is teetotal for health reasons, I have seen some of those Want Beer signs at Eglinton West and Lawrence West Gateway Newstands. I find it odd that MADD isn't protesting over this matter, especially given the obvious consequences of selling beverages with ethanol in the subway, especially in Warden station, which is known for its lumpenproletariat conditions. It doesn't help that the TTC has no shortage of alcohol advertising (which is the least of the concerns in the grand scheme of things). This is another reason why platform screen doors are needed.

I have the feeling that those, along with the anti-carbon tax stickers in fuelling stations, are clearly political, complete with astroturfing (and yet, the TTC turned a blind eye to obvious political pandering).

Normally, I don't condone vandalism, but it would be interesting to put a note next to the Want Beer signs with "Want Panhandling, Urinating, Expectorating, and Vomiting on Subway Platforms?"

However, I am not a prohibitionist. There are plenty of other places to buy booze and enjoy them. The subway is public property.

Ontario: a new dipsocracy. Fer ze peeple, ov Coors!

Last edited:
I find it odd that MADD isn't protesting over this matter, especially given the obvious consequences of selling beverages with ethanol in the subway, especially in Warden station, which is known for its lumpenproletariat conditions.

MADD is opposed to drunk driving. They are not against drinking. The way I see it, someone who purchases a beer in the subway is very unlikely to end up behind a wheel.

Back