Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Aug 20, 2019

fullsizeoutput_2b12.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2b11.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2b0f.jpeg

I believe that building is not part of Mirvish+Gehry, so the "for lease" sign doesn't mean anything.

On the other hand, the buildings further east (the ones that will have to be torn down for the Mirvish+Gehry building) have signs up advertising "short term leasing available" (they might even say "pop-ups welcome" if I recall correctly). So I'll take that as a good sign.

Since this got bumped..on the latest Dream conference call an analyst asked about when Dream's next round of condo sales would be launched. The CEO mentioned that the next 'for sale' building they have would be Mirvish and it would be within 1-2 years. Not particularly helpful, but should provide a bit of realism to any of us that were hoping for sales this fall.

He also mentioned that 31R Parliament would be rental.

Sales should start in fall 2020 or early 2021, construction to begin in the late half of 2021 or early 2022 , completion around 2026-2027. Still a long ways to go.

It sounds like Sales will start in 2022, 10 years after its announcement. If a market slowdown occurred could a project like this really proceed given its size? While units might be small I assume the per/sq foot qualify as luxury given the quality. Someone mentioned Scollard sales are slow, also high-end.

Great question! History is littered with spectacular buildings that were never realized, owing to significant changes of economic and/or political fortune.

Great question! History is littered with spectacular buildings that were never realized, owing to significant changes of economic and/or political fortune.

Perhaps one should consider this project from a slightly different perspective?

1. Location

2. Location

3. Location

The main variable would be - given these three golden rules of real estate - how quickly the units sell.

Cool. Hope you're right! You likely are. We're just in weird times right now. Lots of cross-chatter in the media about recession, trade wars, Brexit, frigid relations with China, the Orange One, etc.

Perhaps one should consider this project from a slightly different perspective?

1. Location

2. Location

3. Location

The main variable would be - given these three golden rules of real estate - how quickly the units sell.

It would be in a better position then than now, given the ongoing shift of office development westward.

AoD

And, hopefully the DRL which would probably have an underground link into it . Or ought to.
The only explanation for delay i can think of is Mirvish wasn't really advancing the project behind the scenes when he was seeking a buyer.

The DRL. When you get down to it, that thing is pure smoke and mirrors, is it not? Just another transit project that Toronto likes to talk about.

Anyway, I really want to see these towers go up. It just feels an awfully long ways off yet.

The DRL. When you get down to it, that thing is pure smoke and mirrors, is it not? Just another transit project that Toronto likes to talk about.

The TTC version was starting to issue tenders for bits necessary for construction (TBMs and utility moves).

The Metrolinx/Ford version, which ordered the above work to cease immediately, doesn't know which street it'll run along yet.

Back