Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

The massing has been set since this was first proposed 11 years ago. I don't mind bulky, big-floorplate-d towers, but then what gets special attention is the curtain wall module and general detailing.

CF couldn't even be bothered to try that here. It's reflective of a lazy corporate strategy in a booming market. 'Why bother with more, it'll lease anyways...'

I was expecting more from the offset. I don't know why they even bothered. The bigger disappointment is the unitized panels. The minimum would have been slab to slab glass panels with shadowboxed spandrel like One York or BA East.

Its a fairly understated tower for sure. I'm hoping the lobby will impress - the continued canopy carrying over from ice will look nice to tie in this block.

Today:
IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg

Considering it's a completely different build, it's kinda nice that the glass matched the two older buildings across the street. Small little business cluster. Could be a more interesting massing but at least the glass is quality!

i wish they gave this little building some rounded corners akin to Calgary's brookfield place or NYC's 1 manhattan west. It would really make it standout in the cluster of similar glass.

i wish they gave this little building some rounded corners akin to Calgary's brookfield place or NYC's 1 manhattan west. It would really make it standout in the cluster of similar glass.

Some would say "stand out" in a good way, others would say "stick out" in a bad way.. I think given the height they had to work with, the little shift this building has was pretty much the boldest thing they could do without disturbing the established design profile of this intersection.

As for the glass colour, you either perfectly match or you complement, but to complement it needs to be clearly different.. perhaps a grey tone would have nicely pulled together the PwC and Telus towers with the lighter shade of the ICE condos. Anyway, I'll probably file this next to BAC as a well executed "boring" office tower.

If you are going to spend lots of money to have an office tower in a very important corner to be well executed in terms of materials, then WHY don't you just spend a little more to design it match the ICE towers next to it?

Reactions: MOB
I think I agree wth @kweku on something. It is part of the Ïce complex. I wish it had a curving facade on part of its south elevation that responded to the tower closest to it, maintaining a 25 metre separation, instead of the small flat wall which does not acknowledge that the two parts of the complex were designed at the same time.

Back