News   Mar 28, 2024
 583     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 426     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 759     0 

Wealthsimple Stadium (Ad Company Geniuses, 0s, Août Poisson Architects)

E sports white elephant methinks... techno geeks will change the game, and lose those bums in seats within 5 years. Unless they have a "big winner" Vegas strategy to maintain traffic/losers.
Games will change but the crowds likely won’t.

I’d imagine that the facility would be designed for concerts, etc. As well as a fall back. If you can’t book an E-sports event every night, you can back fill with concerts and conferences. The 5,000 seat size is pretty good for that kind of stuff.

E sports white elephant methinks... techno geeks will change the game, and lose those bums in seats within 5 years. Unless they have a "big winner" Vegas strategy to maintain traffic/losers.

No, doesn’t fit the rendering. That building to the right of the CN Tower in the render is at the SE corner of Spadina/Front. A stadium at the SW corner would put that building to the left of the CN Tower and looming over it, not in the distance as seen here.

the Portland lot is the only one available from that perspective. Unless they’re cancelling The Well ?

IIRC there is a lack of a music venue in the city for about 5000 (many concerts this size are going in Scotiabank Arena), so if this is esports that can also be used for a venue that size, that makes sense and would get used.

I am curious as to whether they can fill a 5K seat stadium with esports - but then again, it is probably something that's only going to grow.

AoD

I think depending on the game it will fill no problem.

Last year the finals for the game Dota2 was hosted in Vancouver with 20,000 filling Rogers Arena, Total prizepool for the teams $25 million.
Overwatch has local teams similar to major sports leagues. Toronto's team(primarily owned by Michael Kimel of Chase Hospitality Group) is hosting home games starting 2020.

I think Toronto is missing a venue this size.

the Portland lot is the only one available from that perspective. Unless they’re cancelling The Well ?

It doesn't seem likely that it's going at Front & Portland. The Portland Commons proposal is very far along so it would seem very odd for that to be cancelled at this point or suddenly completely redesigned and changed from office (something very needed and which makes a lot of sense in that neighbourhood) to an stadium, e-sports or otherwise, which would likely take all sorts of extra consultation with the City and face neighbourhood opposition. It's totally bizarre to me that people are even seeing this as an option, but perhaps I will be proven wrong.

I think what's more likely is that this just isn't in the location depicted in the photo at all and whoever made this for Wealthsimple didn't really know Toronto and just found some generic Toronto CN tower backdrop, in particular given BlogTO's reputation for let's say... a fondness for being misleading for attention and clicks.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even close to where it's depicted in these renders.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem likely that it's going at Front & Portland. The Portland Commons proposal is very far along so it would seem very odd for that to be cancelled at this point or suddenly completely redesigned and changed from office (something very needed and which makes a lot of sense in that neighbourhood) to an stadium, e-sports or otherwise, which would likely take all sorts of extra consultation with the City and face neighbourhood opposition. It's totally bizarre to me that people are even seeing this as an option, but perhaps I will be proven wrong.

I think what's more likely is that this just isn't in the location depicted in the photo at all and whoever made this for Wealthsimple didn't really know Toronto and just found some generic Toronto CN tower backdrop, in particular given BlogTO's reputation for let's say... a fondness for being misleading for attention and clicks.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even close to where it's depicted in these renders.

That’s a good take. Makes perfect sense.

they've secured naming rights. . . nothing there about a new stadium, more than likely an existing stadium like Lamport or Varsity.

Back