News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 892     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It sounds like there will be quite a few bus runs cut in October, yes.

But they are to be replaced with train service.

Dan
Likely means weekend trains on the Kitchener line. That's also probably why they ran that weekend train this weekend to see how well it could run.

I had hoped that the Facebook post mentioned by Steve Munro (which I heard of elsewhere too) was a severe exaggeration, with only some basis in reality as additional rail service hours come into effect on a few corridors. After all, GO is currently recruiting drivers.

As for bus cuts, I expect these will be on local suburban routes as GO continues to focus on longer-distance freeway based routes, as well as train-buses replaced by train trips.

Likely means weekend trains on the Kitchener line. That's also probably why they ran that weekend train this weekend to see how well it could run.

The running of the weekend trains this past weekend had no bearing on the plans for October, which have been in the works for many months.

I had hoped that the Facebook post mentioned by Steve Munro (which I heard of elsewhere too) was a severe exaggeration, with only some basis in reality as additional rail service hours come into effect on a few corridors. After all, GO is currently recruiting drivers.

The author of the original post is a habitual liar, who happens to also be a Torontoian ex-pat that still is trying to grab hold of what little - if any - relevance he has on the Toronto scene. He has still managed to (somehow) maintain some contacts here, although I suspect that very few will want to talk with him going forward considering the backlash to his post.

It's too bad that he managed to convinced someone as knowledgeable as Steve Munro.

Dan

Potential situation that I have mixed feelings about:
- The activation of hourly allday 2way service to West Harbour, corresponding with a 50% cut to Hamilton 16 Express.

(Even if it will happen in a future year, if not this October).
It would be better if West Harbour station was a through station so that it is an easier stop on the Niagara route.

The 16 Express doubledeckers are popular offpeak, ever since the new low floor double deck buses made it possible to serve the downtown express. It is one of GO's more popular regional bus routes. Would be a shame to cut without an LRT between the two GO stations.

Hopefully the rumored Bird/Lime electric scooter-share service coming to Hamilton in 2020 will make it easier to hop between the two GO stations in less than 5 minutes. I love these scootershare services whenever I visit other cities that have them.

Agreed. Losing the Mississauga Centre loop from the Hurontario LRT seemed reasonable to me, but the James North spur in Hamilton is a pretty signficant loss given the GO service structure. I almost think HSR should have treated a link between the GO stations as something work building indepdent of the main LRT project, and should have been accelerated as much as physically possible.

"Am I a joke to you?" -- Viva Pink

Attachments

• 20190726_084444.jpg
    20190726_084444.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 330
Saw these installed at the crossing of the Stouffville line, at Main St, Unionville...a few minutes north of Unionville GO.

IMG_20190711_195248.jpg

IMG_20190711_195323.jpg

Anyone know what they're for? I'm thinking to prevent wildlife incursion. That, or those pesky selfie-takers... and wedding photography.

^ The wildlife they are impeding is human beings. Verster spoke of these one or two town halls back. They are testing to see if this deters trespassers.

- Paul

They're not, actually. They are specifically built to deter or prevent wildlife from progressing along the right-of-way. They only deter humans because we get confused by them.

They're rampant on the CP lines out west. There, they're built of wood, plastic and even rubber.

Dan

They're not, actually. They are specifically built to deter or prevent wildlife from progressing along the right-of-way. They only deter humans because we get confused by them.

They're rampant on the CP lines out west. There, they're built of wood, plastic and even rubber.

Dan
Yes, they are exactly like the cattle grids you see in many rural areas to stop cattle walking along roads or off their owner's property where gates are impractical. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_grid

Back