News   Apr 19, 2024
 238     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 917     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.5K     2 

Shabby Public Realm

So I guess we'll file under 'Who cares, it's too small too build a condo there' and gaze over at the Jersey barriers across the street and think to ourselves "Hmmmm... I'm alright with that. Who cares what anything looks like"?

Yesterday I took a stroll from work up to the green roof at city hall for the first time in a while. It looks like shit. Like virtually every other public space in Toronto, it doesn't seem to be maintained. This city is an embarrassment. We spend a lot of money designing cool spaces but forget about them once they're done. How much was spent on the city hall renovations and upgrades a few years ago? You can't even tell anything was done.

Doesn't mean that every mayor should be predicated towards the same policies.

Tory is supposed to be a moderately Conservative mayor, but he's still hasn't addressed Toronto's structural financial and governance issues, meaning that Ford's austerity cutbacks still persist.

This year’s Parks, Forestry, and Recreation operating budget shows a zero percent increase over last year’s budget. Last year’s budget was essentially flat as well. This despite the fact that during that time we’ve added new residents and new parks to Toronto.

Even his major self-directed policies and initiatives (i.e. Vision Zero) don't really change the built nature of the city, others like Smarttrack are MIA, and major city-building projects (i.e. the Portlands, King Street pilot, Rail Deck Park), were all pushed by city staff (esp. Keesmaat), or his predecessors.

There does seem to be a "build it then forget about it" attitude which gives me a sense of foreboding every time a new gizmo-filled park opens.

You can't blame Parks and Rec as they've been starved for maintenance cash over the years. They're currently running a $557 million state of good repair deficit which will rise to $636 million by 2023.

In other words: expect the situation to get worse, not better.

That's the story all over the city. We badly need to raise billions upon billions in SOGR capital across essentially every single city agency, but "low taxes" means very low levels of capital outlay.

There does seem to be a "build it then forget about it" attitude which gives me a sense of foreboding every time a new gizmo-filled park opens.

You can't blame Parks and Rec as they've been starved for maintenance cash over the years. They're currently running a $557 million state of good repair deficit which will rise to $636 million by 2023.

In other words: expect the situation to get worse, not better.

Yes and No in respect of 'blame'.

As someone very familiar w/the workings of said department............

There are indeed many talented hard working people, who are, in part, hamstrung by a lack of financial resources.

However, there are also deficiencies in how things are managed, for which senior and middle management are responsible.

I have to be choosy about what examples I offer, but let me try a couple.

Firstly, Parks Capital projects is charged with preliminary design (in most cases) and full design and delivery in others, of major parks capital projects. For years, this unit has missed the boat on designs which lower
maintenance requirements without compromising design integrity.

This is everything from don't put grass where it will be worn to nothing; don't put trees not suited to a particular environment, but also choosing perennials over annuals in floral features, and keeping in mind there ability to dominate
such that minimal weeding is required. Failure to consider irrigation, where dogs urinate/defecate, failure to deliver washroom sinks that resistant to blockage (channel drains are a thing). Project management is not a rigorous as one would hope.
There is also very little push back against dumb or unnecessary ideas wasting money.

My favourite how can we flush money away projects have been 'shade structures'; when we already have a cheap shade structure called a tree! There's a mandate to put more of those in parks, but instead we blow money on a roof no one asked for or needed over a bench. That and stairs........its true, Parks likes to build expensive stairs that aren't even particularly aesthetic. Building stairs out of poured concrete and or large heavy blocks is cumbersome and costly. This should be done by using slatted mental w/helical piles that's plug and play. Cheaper, easier, lasts longer. Comes w/space for guard rails to attach as opposed to concrete or stone which has to have all the holes drilled in-situ. Sigh.

From the Escarpment Project website

IMG_1263.jpg

From The Star (the City's way)

photo-pd-stairs28.jpg

One of these is much more efficient and practical than the other......

Something else Parks does is allow endless plans...............

As is the waterfront were something to emulate.

They produce endless mounds of strategies, masterplans, needs assessments and all other sort of mumbo jumbo. LOL

I have no objection to proper planning, but in my estimation less than 1/2 the plans are ever delivered in any form.

That's because there's no requirement when drawing up a plan to assess the City's financial ability to deliver it.

Operations has also seen lots of cuts, but as big a problem is clouded responsibility.

Staff used to be dedicated to major parks and or a group of parks that were theirs.

There was clear accountability, and staff had virtually full control of all parks functions. (Parks managed its own garbage disposal)

Today, garbage is handled by Waste Management, major bike trails by Transportation, parks staff are grouped by function (ie. lawn mowing, litter clean up etc) and now handle a multitude of different parks.

Responsibility lines have been muddled beyond belief.

Lastly, yes there is a need for more resources, both capital and operating.

But Parks has been guilty of being a glutton for punishment and not making a clear case for new money to its political masters.

See what happens if you cut library funding.........you will be told hours cuts or branch closures, take your pick.

Police/EMS/Fire......how much slower would you like your response time, a few more people might die.

Childcare cuts, spaces/centres close.

Other departments don't just accept cuts, they make the choice difficult.

They then make a case for more money by dangling tangible improvements.

Things like more open hours at libraries, more childcare spaces/shorter waiting list, etc etc.

Parks simply mows the lawn less, hires fewer seasonal staff, for a shorter season, reduces routine maintenance and the like.

Imagine if Parks said, we don't have enough money to operate our Parks Safely, so we will be closing High Park, Thompson Park, and Centennial Park completely next year, we're just going to pay for fencing to keep people out?

Alternatively, what if they made a compelling case for new investments (instead of 'park rangers', sigh....) Year round floral features at major parks, gardeners become year-round staff.

Recreation centres open in the evenings on weekends; all parks city-wide get twice per week litter clean-up as a baseline (instead of once), and daily in all high-volume parks.

Parks needs a senior manager who can effectively advocate for the department.

I don’t really know the inner workings of how City Departments work but I do know a thing about taking care of property. When you’re taking care of property it’s easy and comfortable dealing with private contracts. Inevitably though you need to at times deal with city departments and crown corporations and companies sitting in regulatory monopolies. That is scary because you are largely dealing in an ego economy, meaning outcomes and effectiveness are almost entirely driven by the ego of the person you are interacting with. In the ego economy reading people is essential but if you have no skin in the game (this thread and the complaining going on) shame and embarrassment are probably the greatest motivators. Watch how fast things move if you call 311 versus contact the media!

only thing I can think of is that it is related to the construction across the street NE corner of Front/Simcoe. There is another wooden pole further south on that block which is equally ugly but at least at the side of the sidewalk, not in the middle

only thing I can think of is that it is related to the construction across the street NE corner of Front/Simcoe. There is another wooden pole further south on that block which is equally ugly but at least at the side of the sidewalk, not in the middle
Toronto Hydro use wooden poles for temporary overhead wires. Though why in middle of sidewalk!

Back